is it possible to finish your DPM degree then apply to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dorothy Aubry

Reaction score
Hi guys- I was wondering if someone who decided to attend podiatry school, then realized that's not what they want. Are they able to transfer to a DO/MD school? Or would they have to finish those 4 years at podiatry school then apply to med school and possibly finish in 2 years?

Can you be a DPM and an MD, like a DMD and an MD

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys- I was wondering if someone who decided to attend podiatry school, then realized that's not what they want. Are they able to transfer to a DO/MD school? Or would they have to finish those 4 years at podiatry school then apply to med school and possibly finish in 2 years?

Thank you
I'm sure it is possible but who the heck has that type of time, energy, and money to go through all that?

Reactions: 1 user
Transfers are unlikely. It's very difficult for even MD/DO students to transfer between med schools

Some Podiatry schools might take medicine graduates who passed their board exams and let them start as a 3rd year. I've never heard of the reverse

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you
I know of no LCME accredited MD school that accepts transfers from non-MD schools.
OMFS students are given advanced standing (1.5 to 2 years credit) for their completed DDS/DMD.

I know of one podiatrist who was accepted to an MD school. They applied like any other applicant after practicing podiatry. He was not given advanced standing.

Reactions: 2 users
I know of no LCME accredited MD school that accepts transfers from non-MD schools.
OMFS students are given advanced standing (1.5 to 2 years credit) for their completed DDS/DMD.

I know of one podiatrist who was accepted to an MD school. They applied like any other applicant after practicing podiatry. He was not given advanced standing.
interesting