Is it Possible to Go from a 2.0 gpa to a 3.6?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airywater

Reaction score
I have been in college for 2 years now and have received 30 credit hours, standing at a cgpa of 2.0. A medical condition affected my performance in school and also failing to withdraw from classes. I would like to know if it’d be possible to raise my overall gpa from a 2.0 to a 3.5-7 in a matter of a few years using my remaining 127+ credits if I made a 3.8-4.0 each semester? I am aware that my chances of med school are slim but I’m still willing to try. All advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

(2.0)(# of credits taken / total credits) + (4.0)(# of credits left / total credits)

There’s your answer.

Reactions: 3 users
I suppose theoretically it’s possible but realistically who knows. Take each semester and see where you end up. If after a few semesters you have achieved a 3.8-4.0 each semester you might be able to be successful. Plan to apply after you graduate so all of your grades are counted and understand that maybe you’ll need a post bacc of some sort. Nothing is guaranteed and and not everyone who wants to be a doctor gets to be one. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been in college for 2 years now and have received 30 credit hours, standing at a cgpa of 2.0. A medical condition affected my performance in school and also failing to withdraw from classes. I would like to know if it’d be possible to raise my overall gpa from a 2.0 to a 3.5-7 in a matter of a few years using my remaining 127+ credits if I made a 3.8-4.0 each semester? I am aware that my chances of med school are slim but I’m still willing to try. All advice is welcome.

To go from a 2.0 (having taken only 30 credit hours) to a 3.5,
you need 90 credits of 4.0 avg gpa
you need 112.5 credits of 3.9 avg gpa
you need 150 credits of 3.8 avg gpa

To bring it up to a 3.7
you need 170 credits of 4.0 avg gpa

As candbgirl said, it is theoretically possible but it might not be realistic. Having a strong upward trend is still good.

Don't take too many classes at once until you're sure that you can handle them.
Utilize your school's learning center if they have one.
Get to know upperclassmen and ask them how to best study for the classes you're about to take.

Best of luck

To go from a 2.0 (having taken only 30 credit hours) to a 3.5,
you need 90 credits of 4.0 avg gpa
you need 112.5 credits of 3.9 avg gpa
you need 150 credits of 3.8 avg gpa

To bring it up to a 3.7
you need 170 credits of 4.0 avg gpa

As candbgirl said, it is theoretically possible but it might not be realistic. Having a strong upward trend is still good.

Don't take too many classes at once until you're sure that you can handle them.
Utilize your school's learning center if they have one.
Get to know upperclassmen and ask them how to best study for the classes you're about to take.

Best of luck

Thanks. I think it’s more likely that I’ll get a 3.5 on 3.8 semester averages versus 4.0’s. If I can get a 3.5 gpa then that would hopefully broaden my chances along with a competitive MCAT score.

Thanks. I think it’s more likely that I’ll get a 3.5 on 3.8 semester averages versus 4.0’s. If I can get a 3.5 gpa then that would hopefully broaden my chances along with a competitive MCAT score.

It’s a long journey. Like a poster above said, just take it one semester at a time. Maybe you bring it up to 3.3 next semester, then 3.7, so on and so forth

Reactions: 1 user
Have you looked into retroactively medically withdrawing from those classes? There’s usually a time limit a semester to a year, but if you had serious enough medical condition and a physician can document it, this may be an option.

Reactions: 3 users
Have you looked into retroactively medically withdrawing from those classes? There’s usually a time limit a semester to a year, but if you had serious enough medical condition and a physician can document it, this may be an option.

Could I petition it for one semester or all? I have documents from my physician over the past 2 years. My dad has them because he’s suggesting that I do a retroactive medical withdrawal as well.

Could I petition it for one semester or all? I have documents from my physician over the past 2 years. My dad has them because he’s suggesting that I do a retroactive medical withdrawal as well.

This entirely depends on what school you're attending. No one here can advise you on this beyond telling you to look into it.

For example, my school does allow retroactive withdrawal, but only within one year and only for the first semester you petition for (as their logic is that you should not have continued taking courses for another semester if you had such a condition). Policies are going to vary from school to school.

This entirely depends on what school you're attending. No one here can advise you on this beyond telling you to look into it.

For example, my school does allow retroactive withdrawal, but only within one year and only for the first semester you petition for (as their logic is that you should not have continued taking courses for another semester if you had such a condition). Policies are going to vary from school to school.

My school doesn’t mention the medical retroactive withdrawal. But I’m planning on requesting to have an in-person meeting with the dean to discuss it. The school I would like to transfer to next spring requires the standard 24 credits and I have 29 (will have 38 by the end of this semester). If I’m given the OK to have my classes withdrawn, hopefully I’ll be able to transfer with my credits.

-Thanks for the helpful advice everyone