Is it possible to hear back from schools for Fall 2016 by September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mgod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply early in may/june, is it possible to interview sometime in the summer and possibly hear back with rejection/acceptance by September or earlier?
Does anyone know of any schools that are quick with this kind of stuff?

Thanks for reading everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If I apply early in may/june, is it possible to interview sometime in the summer and possibly hear back with rejection/acceptance by September or earlier?

depending on the strength of your application and how early you apply, you can be accepted to a DO school by the end of September. By Oct 1st this past fall, I was already accepted to 3 schools. But, be aware these were all very new DO schools. Many of the more established schools dont start accepting or even interviewing til september

Reactions: 1 user
Yup... I was accepted to one of the original 5 by mid September, and then to a new school by the last week in September. BUT you gotta have a strong app and get your secondaries and letters of rec back really fast. Some of it is out of your control, but if you are proactive in getting your app in and getting everything to them quickly, there is not much reason you shouldnt have something in hand by around that time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Depends on the school. Lecom and kcumb roll out acceptances early

Definitely possible. Many of my future classmates were accepted around September.

KCU (formerly KCUMB) was one of the only DO schools I know of to have completely filled their class before Christmas 2014.

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea how quick PCOM is to send letters?

I had two interviews before the end of August and another mid Sept. Heard from all three before Oct 1

Any idea how quick PCOM is to send letters?
PCOM is an SOB when it comes to all of the application business. They send their secondaries out reasonably fast. I got mine right around when I got all of my other ones. But once you send it back there is absolutely no gauge you can go by to figure out if they want you or not. They might leave amazing applicants out to dry until February, but then might take in some other random applicant in September. I would say of all schools, I perceive theirs as the most random when it comes to picking applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted at MSUCOM by like Septembet 3rd. But they don't interview, so there's one less step

LECOM, CUSOM, and MUCOM are pretty quick. Found out about all three before the end of Septmeber.

There were so many people on some accepted stats thread here that heard back by the end of August! That sounds absolutely wonderful.

There were so many people on some accepted stats thread here that heard back by the end of August! That sounds absolutely wonderful.
LECOM was the end of July for me. I wouldn't recommend anyone opt for the early decision.

LECOM was the end of July for me. I wouldn't recommend anyone opt for the early decision.

That's so awesome! Did you send in your transcripts like mid May?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is definitely possible, but really depends on when the schools actually start interviewing. I sent my primary in in early July, it was verified early August, and I got the majority of my secondaries the second week of August. I had my secondaries in by the 3rd week in August and had my first interview and acceptance the second week of September. I made a decision between my acceptances and called the cycle closed in middle November.

why not though? i really wanna find out by september if possible.

If memory serves me correctly (if I am wrong, someone feel free to correct me) most places with early decision have some stipulation about not applying elsewhere until you hear from them. If you decided you hated the place or got rejected, now you are behind in applying to all the other schools.

Why is it so important to find out by September?

If memory serves me correctly (if I am wrong, someone feel free to correct me) most places with early decision have some stipulation about not applying elsewhere until you hear from them. If you decided you hated the place or got rejected, now you are behind in applying to all the other schools.

Why is it so important to find out by September?
30MCAT, 3.3cGPA. my only shot now is DO or carib MD.
I wanna try for DO until this september. If i get rejected from DO, I could still start in September for carib MD, or, I could just start the carib MD in Jan 2016.

30MCAT, 3.3cGPA. my only shot now is DO or carib MD.
I wanna try for DO until this september. If i get rejected from DO, I could still start in September for carib MD, or, I could just start the carib MD in Jan 2016.

You would be MUCH better off applying broadly to DO and focusing all your effort on that and seeing it through the entire application cycle. Really a 30 and a 3.3 should get you some II's, but you might have to wait beyond Sept. Any DO acceptance would be light years better than Carribean so you should focus on that. Just some friendly advice.

Yes. My school does interviews in Sept.

Because more than likely you'll have a deposit due to them before hearing back from other schools. It's nice to know you got in somewhere, but delaying the decision until December is worth it if you're not keen on throwing $1500 at the school so early.

Because more than likely you'll have a deposit due to them before hearing back from other schools. It's nice to know you got in somewhere, but delaying the decision until December is worth it if you're not keen on throwing $1500 at the school so early.
Not to mention, the desperation does pass. At the beginning of the cycle you feel like you want it so bad that you would take an acceptance anywhere, just so long as you get in. But once you interview and visit the places and really start considering the possibility that you could be at that school for four years, you start to get super picky. It's nice knowing early, but I'd trade making the decision a couple months later if it meant more/better options. To the OP, you will likely realize this as the cycle gets under way

Reactions: 2 users
Not to mention, the desperation does pass. At the beginning of the cycle you feel like you want it so bad that you would take an acceptance anywhere, just so long as you get in. But once you interview and visit the places and really start considering the possibility that you could be at that school for four years, you start to get super picky. It's nice knowing early, but I'd trade making the decision a couple months later if it meant more/better options. To the OP, you will likely realize this as the cycle gets under way
with my stats, (i'm also canadian), i don't think i could be in the pool of 'being picky'. classic case of 'beggars can't be choosers' :p

Agree.

I heard back from MSUCOM early September and from LUCOM late August. I also applied to both super early. Also, don't consider Carib schools. Your stats are fine amd you have a good shot at DO. and even if you don't get in it is still better to be patient and take a gap year than to go Carib.

with my stats, (i'm also canadian), i don't think i could be in the pool of 'being picky'. classic case of 'beggars can't be choosers' :p
Nah you are a shoo-in for DO schools. BUT only if you are smart about which schools you apply to. Some schools are very Canadian friendly, some are not at all. Like just off the top of my head I know UNECOM, KCU, and I thinkkk MSU and LECOM are Canada friendly. Obviously you want to cast a wide net but I think if you really focus your apps strategically, there is no reason you shouldnt get love from somewhere, your stats are good! Just spend some time really getting a feel for which schools bring in Canadians.

Side note, seriously dont do Caribbean. I understand that it is a little different for you than it is for us. Being Canadian, you may not have a huge desire to practice in the US, which is one of the major flaws with the Caribbean system; but irregardless, it is a massive financial risk for anyone. Without knowing 100% how you will actually do in school, there is no way to confirm whether or not the Caribbean is worth it. If you are top 10% in your class it works out fine, but if you are bottom 10% you can very well be dropped, be ineligible to take boards, and/or be down $200,000. Thats the kind of debt I would not wish on anyone.

I would say be patient... Make a solid list of schools and give them your all, but be aware that because you are Canadian, the cycle might be different for you, it just is what it is.

Also, I dont know what podiatry looks like in Canada, but in the USA its an extremely viable alternative medical career where you act as a mixture between a primary care doc and an ortho surgeon. Its a solid field for sure. I would say that is another potential backup plan to invest some research into.

I think the thing with DO>Caribbean is also that if you are Canadian and maybe want to practice in US, you might have to narrow down residency programs that would be willing to sponsor you (unless you get that legal status resolved before residency). I have a Canadian friend who has to get into a competitive IM residency that is willing to do so in order to practice in US. In general, most residency programs would be more open to DO students than Carib students. This is prob far into future but as previous posters said, you want to have many options open to you as possible.

Nah you are a shoo-in for DO schools. BUT only if you are smart about which schools you apply to. Some schools are very Canadian friendly, some are not at all. Like just off the top of my head I know UNECOM, KCU, and I thinkkk MSU and LECOM are Canada friendly. Obviously you want to cast a wide net but I think if you really focus your apps strategically, there is no reason you shouldnt get love from somewhere, your stats are good! Just spend some time really getting a feel for which schools bring in Canadians.

Side note, seriously dont do Caribbean. I understand that it is a little different for you than it is for us. Being Canadian, you may not have a huge desire to practice in the US, which is one of the major flaws with the Caribbean system; but irregardless, it is a massive financial risk for anyone. Without knowing 100% how you will actually do in school, there is no way to confirm whether or not the Caribbean is worth it. If you are top 10% in your class it works out fine, but if you are bottom 10% you can very well be dropped, be ineligible to take boards, and/or be down $200,000. Thats the kind of debt I would not wish on anyone.

I would say be patient... Make a solid list of schools and give them your all, but be aware that because you are Canadian, the cycle might be different for you, it just is what it is.

Also, I dont know what podiatry looks like in Canada, but in the USA its an extremely viable alternative medical career where you act as a mixture between a primary care doc and an ortho surgeon. Its a solid field for sure. I would say that is another potential backup plan to invest some research into.
I have a list of DO schools that are friendly to Canadians, so I'll be applying to all of those.
I don't mind practicing in the US, still north america :p
as for the carib risk, I know I won't be in the bottom 10% or even the bottom 50%. I know the carib loves to suck in students with little gpa/mcat merit but i'm not one of those students :oops:

Do you have any DO shadowing or experience with osteopathic medicine?

I have a list of DO schools that are friendly to Canadians, so I'll be applying to all of those.
I don't mind practicing in the US, still north america :p
as for the carib risk, I know I won't be in the bottom 10% or even the bottom 50%. I know the carib loves to suck in students with little gpa/mcat merit but i'm not one of those students :oops:

The problem is that even reputable schools will put you in bad place. Ross has 40 percent of its students drop out half that graduate don't do it in four year (extra debt). 20% that graduate don't match. Those that do match are much more likely to be preliminary and in either family med, internal med, PEDs, and psych in not great programs (usually). You can get into a DO program so you should go there as those problems don't exist in the DO world. Also you don't have to experience substandard living conditions and will get a better education.