Is it possible to improve my score with this!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayingFocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first AAMC test I've taken and my test is July 16. I scored:

PS: 7
BS: 8
VR: 8

My goals are:
PS: 10
BS: 11
VR: 9

Is it possible to improve up to those by finishing up with the AAMC and doing much more passage work?

Also, I am studying 12 hours a day for this...is it possible?

This is my first FL test I've taken. If I switched to July 29 or August 5th could I improve up to that much? What should I push it to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this your first and only FL? If so...

No. You have to delay the test.

If its 1 FL, and the others have been 10 10 10 then yes.

BUMP!!!
I need to know because today is the last day to reschedule.

When I took AAMC 4 I was honestly in freakout mode and that was why I scored so bad. When I do practice PR and BR passages I miss 2 or less so I know my stuff. Its just when I'm actually taking the test I freak out.

If I spend these two weeks taking the tests and calming myself should I be ok or what?

BUMP!!!
I need to know because today is the last day to reschedule.

When I took AAMC 4 I was honestly in freakout mode and that was why I scored so bad. When I do practice PR and BR passages I miss 2 or less so I know my stuff. Its just when I'm actually taking the test I freak out.

If I spend these two weeks taking the tests and calming myself should I be ok or what?

You need to chill. You've got your pre-reqs done. You're doing fine on BR and PR. Just study and gtfo SDN until you're done with MCAT or to look up answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Postpone ASAP until at least the 28th. It's better to be overprepared than underprepared. For no reason should you be taking your first full length 2 weeks out from exam day. Some people don't even take the a full length within their last week before the exam just to relax and you're going to need every day up until that point to work on everything.

It's definitely not impossible, but why even risk that. You're talking about struggling to get a 30, when you can postpone, bust your butt a little bit longer, go in to the exam much more confident and have realistic expectations of scoring even higher than a 30. IMO though, if this is your 1st full length... and you weren't aware that it was bad to take your first FL this soon to test day, then you probably aren't going to be ready. You definitely don't want to have to retake, trust me!

Im taking it 28 cuz it was getting too crazy as I just got a 21 on a test too. it's better to do well then do average/worse than you are capable of

If I switched to July 29 or August 5th could I improve up to that much? What should I push it to?

Only you can answer that question. There is some excellent advice floating around SDN, but everyone is an individual. Take the MCAT when you're as ready as you can reasonably be, whenever that is.

As for your practice test score, it's really hard to extrapolate from one data point. Some tests are anomolies. Look at anyone who took seven or more practice exams, and you'll find a range of probably six points between their highest and lowest scores. It's the nature of a test that randomly covers about ten percent of the total volume of material they can potentially test. Scores vary because of so many factors (sleep, focus, topic agreeability, and so forth) that you can't make any decision until you have a few exams under your belt. Only then can you honestly assess whether you are (1) well versed in the content, (2) adept at test taking in an organized and quick manner, and (3) able to focus and avoid careless errors.

Take another few practice exams and then decide. If this means missing the deadline to pay $55 to postpone your exam date, then think of the July 16th exam as a really expensive AAMC 12 in a realistic setting. Keep your chin up!