Is it possible to major in humanities while taking prerequistes for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lord Petyr Baelish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to college this upcoming year and I would like to go to medical school after college. I want to major in English (because I like it a lot) while taking the prerequisites for medical school. Is this possible and manageable since science isn't necessarily my strong suit and I will need to spend a lot of time studying the science? Also,It seems like there are 4 main prerequisites for medical school (bio, chem, o-chem and physics). Would it be possible for me to take bio freshman year, chem sophomore year, o-chem junior year and physics senior year? Or must you have taken all the prerequisites before you apply during junior year?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I was an English major.

You should have the prereqs done by the end of junior year so you are ready to take the MCAT. I can't remember exactly but I didn't decide to do this until second semester so I did Freshman year - Bio I (2nd semester), Summer - Chem I and II, Sophomore year - OChem I and II, physics I?, Junior year - study abroad then physics II. I also took Biochem, Genetics, Anatomy, Physiology and Immuno as electives.

If I were to have started freshman year first semester I would've taken gen chem and bio together. My intro bio classes were very basic/easy so I think that would've been manageable. Also I felt Physics I was a review of AP Physics, so I think that's why I was cool with taking it at the same time as OChem.

I believe you may need sociology and psych now with the MCAT changes but I am not sure?

You will have plenty of time, I also had a minor (history) and could have had a second minor if I had taken one more summer class, but I wanted to go on vacation instead lol. I did have AP credits for a lot of my gen ed classes though which helped with all that. However I think it's doable without coming in with credits. The one thing I didn't do is my college had optional "tracks" for the English major (e.g. teaching, creative writing, British lit, American, etc) and I did not pick a track because I wanted more flexibility with my schedule, but I know at least one person who did pick a track and applied to med school (or a diff).

Once you get up to the higher level courses, at least at my school, a lot of them were available as night classes which I felt was really helpful as it frees up a lot of time. A lot of times I felt that was a really efficient format for an English class because you could talk about more of the reading or go through everyone's writings at once, etc. - while I feel compounding an entire week's worth of science lessons into one class could be more daunting. I was scared of night classes at first but once I started taking them I never looked back haha.

ETA: feel free to PM me with any questions!

Something like half of all med school matriculants didn't major in a natural science. Very possible, quite common.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of several who have done it. The science background can help when taking things like the MCAT. On the other hand, bio majors and pre-med majors statistically do worse on the MCAT than literally everyone else, including humanities majors. So it's not really a disadvantage.

Sure, it is possible. You can major in anything, really, as long as you fit in all the pre-reqs as electives.

Whether or not it is advisable is another matter entirely.

If you do not manage to get into medical school, what will you do with your degree? How will you be able to meet your career goals based on the degree you choose? If you have a good answer to that, then great, study what you want. If not, maybe flesh out plan B before you commit to a major.

A majority of people who start college with the intent to apply to medical school change their minds before they finish their degrees. And then of those who do apply, not quite half will find seats in any given year. It isn't impossible to get in, by any stretch, but you should not go into this imagining a straight, unbranching course running directly from where you are to where you think you want to end up. Know your exits, your alternatives, and plan for those even as you strive toward an intended future in medicine. You won't end up any worse off for having a fall back position, if you don't end up needing to rely upon it.

Yes.

Next question?

I'm going to college this upcoming year and I would like to go to medical school after college. I want to major in English (because I like it a lot) while taking the prerequisites for medical school. Is this possible and manageable since science isn't necessarily my strong suit and I will need to spend a lot of time studying the science? Also,It seems like there are 4 main prerequisites for medical school (bio, chem, o-chem and physics). Would it be possible for me to take bio freshman year, chem sophomore year, o-chem junior year and physics senior year? Or must you have taken all the prerequisites before you apply during junior year?

Reactions: 1 users