Is it possible to pay back $600k+ in loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, there is one huge reason. Mortgages have physical collateral and are underwritten based on the credit worthiness of the borrower. Student loans are guaranteed available to all, with no collateral and no credit check. There is not only a higher risk of default, there is also potentially nothing to go after if the borrower is unemployable or does not earn enough to ever repay.

This is the arguable reason the market has not offered student loans at lower rates than mortgages, even though private loans for medical students are available at lower interest rates than for philosophy students.
Yeah they need to figure something out because the debt most college students are faced with is ridiculous. An "affordable" school will still make you take out enough loans to buy a decent new car. This punishes the poor for trying to get an education to be more comfortable in life and needs to change.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, there is one huge reason. Mortgages have physical collateral and are underwritten based on the credit worthiness of the borrower. Student loans are guaranteed available to all, with no collateral and no credit check. There is not only a higher risk of default, there is also potentially nothing to go after if the borrower is unemployable or does not earn enough to ever repay.

This is the arguable reason the market has not offered student loans at lower rates than mortgages, even though private loans for medical students are available at lower interest rates than for philosophy students.
I get that argument however the federal government isn’t a bank - federal student loan programs weren’t designed be to profit generators. They were designed to increase access to education for those without the means to foot the bill up front. This is more of an investment mentality than anything. In terms of having nothing to go after - the federal government is extremely capable of collecting money it is owed through garnishments and other means, particularly since student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

I get that argument however the federal government isn’t a bank - federal student loan programs weren’t designed be to profit generators. They were designed to increase access to education for those without the means to foot the bill up front. This is more of an investment mentality than anything. In terms of having nothing to go after - the federal government is extremely capable of collecting money it is owed through garnishments and other means, particularly since student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.
You are absolutely right, and that's why the loans are priced where they are, and not at credit card rates, which is where they belong based on the risk profile of the borrowers as well as the loss experience of the government.

The program runs at a huge deficit due to the reasons you laid out, but, like everything else in government, part of the idea is to transfer wealth from people who can pay, like doctors, to people who can't, like social workers. This is why the government borrows at ultra low government bond rates, marks that up to lend to us at mid single digits, and still takes huge losses on loans that will never be repaid.

You are correct that the government isn't a bank, but Congress did not mean for the program to run at a huge loss. It's supposed to be self-sustaining, but, of course, it never will be. To take your argument to its logical conclusion, since the government isn't a bank, maybe the interest rate should be zero.

Why not? They are taking losses anyway!! Just allow us to pay back principal over time, interest free. If not, we are all already receiving a huge subsidy insofar as the private sector would never make unsecured loans with all of the benefits federal loans have (REPAYE, PSLF, IBR, generous forbearance, deferrals, etc.) at the rates we pay. Just look at credit cards!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they need to figure something out because the debt most college students are faced with is ridiculous. An "affordable" school will still make you take out enough loans to buy a decent new car. This punishes the poor for trying to get an education to be more comfortable in life and needs to change.
With any luck, that "something" might be free public college for all who cannot afford private, and then turning student loans back to the private sector, with no federal guarantees.

You are absolutely right, and that's why the loans are priced where they are, and not at credit card rates, which is where they belong based on the risk profile of the borrowers as well as the loss experience of the government.

The program runs at a huge deficit due to the reasons you laid out, but, like everything else in government, part of the idea is to transfer wealth from people who can pay, like doctors, to people who can't, like social workers. This is why the government borrows at ultra low government bond rates, marks that up to lend to us at mid single digits, and still takes huge losses on loans that will never be repaid.
According to CBO analysis, loan programs do not operate at a deficit but generate profit. My argument is that loan programs should either operate at cost or with a modest subsidy as it is generally a good long term physical policy to have an educated and highly trained workforce. However, I think it’s fair to say you and I do not see eye to eye on this as I do not see a 5-7% interest rates on student loans to be reasonable. If loans are currently based on 10 year treasury auction rates +3-5%, surely it could be decided to lend at cost or +1%. A long term adjustment to interest rates would have a significantly bigger impact on the long term financial impact of borrowers, particularly those in social work and education, than a one time write down of student loan debt.

According to CBO analysis, loan programs do not operate at a deficit but generate profit. My argument is that loan programs should either operate at cost or with a modest subsidy as it is generally a good long term physical policy to have an educated and highly trained workforce. However, I think it’s fair to say you and I do not see eye to eye on this as I do not see a 5-7% interest rates on student loans to be reasonable. If loans are currently based on 10 year treasury auction rates +3-5%, surely it could be decided to lend at cost or +1%. A long term adjustment to interest rates would have a significantly bigger impact on the long term financial impact of borrowers, particularly those in social work and education, than a one time write down of student loan debt.
Sure, they operate at a profit in you don't take into account the 7.8% of the $1.6+ trillion that is in default! :laugh:

Yes, it generates a "profit" because they borrow at 1% and lend at 6%. But, they literally lose tend of billions of dollars annually.

Yes, they could lend at cost and not lose money, but, only if they lend to people who all pay back, do not receive forgiveness, etc. Otherwise, they need to generate money from people like us to partially subsidize all the people who are going to default or otherwise never pay back. If you think 7%, with the possibility of forgiveness is a bad deal, just go into the market and find a better one. There are definitely people eager to lend to med students.

Last edited:
Sure, they operate at a profit in you don't take into account the 7.8% of the $1.6+ trillion that is in default! :laugh:

Yes, it generates a "profit" because they borrow at 1% and lend at 6%. But, they literally lose tend of billions of dollars annually.
Actually it takes that into account. The laughing face was cute though.

any idea when the 2021-2022 federal interest rates will be decided upon and made public?

any idea when the 2021-2022 federal interest rates will be decided upon and made public?
Happens in May based on the 10 year treasury auction rate. If market conditions are steady it looks like interest rates will go up by 1%.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the shout-out on the laughing face, but did you carefully read the document you linked?

The point seems to be, while under BS federal budget rules, the programs show a profit due to how inflows and outflows are measured over 10 years, using real world fair value estimates over the same period would turn a projected $135 billion surplus into an $88 billion deficit.

My takeaway from this was not that the program actually produces a net return to the government, but, rather, that Congress and CBO use government accounting to make it appear as though the program helps reduce the federal deficit while it really does not. Just knowing how many of these loans will ultimately default or otherwise be forgiven should be one clue that they can't possible actually generate a profit over the life of the loans, which, for many people, will be forever, and not the 10 years CBO is using in its analysis.

In addition, the linked document refers to a period dating from 2015. Has the student loan problem stayed the same, gotten better, or gotten worse since 2015?????? If you honestly think the federal student loan program generates a positive return to the federal government, you should call the New York Times and Wall Street Journal and give them the good news, because that would mean there is no student loan crisis, and the public needs to know. :laugh:

It may, but they recently acknowledged they don't take into account expected forgiveness (PSLF, and IBR/PAYE/REPAYE) and the higher rates of delinquency they've been seeing. Nor does it take into account all the high-earning borrowers who have the capability to consolidate with private lenders, taking away the borrowers who repay reliably. Right now the program is predicted to cost a significant amount of money in the long run.

It doesn't really matter--I agree the program should be more an investment into our future than look to make money. But it needs reform. And the college system does too. But it's better than the 60's and 70's, where generally only well-to-do and motivated folks went to college. Sure, they could afford tuition with a summer job and all, but at least now everyone has the freedom to go to college and get a loan essentially no-questions asked. My $300k+ of med school debt was pretty lousy, but now my income is high and ultimately most people would say even borrowing $300k for med school is a financially good decision for most.

It may, but they recently acknowledged they don't take into account expected forgiveness (PSLF, and IBR/PAYE/REPAYE) and the higher rates of delinquency they've been seeing. Nor does it take into account all the high-earning borrowers who have the capability to consolidate with private lenders, taking away the borrowers who repay reliably. Right now the program is predicted to cost a significant amount of money in the long run.

It doesn't really matter--I agree the program should be more an investment into our future than look to make money. But it needs reform. And the college system does too. But it's better than the 60's and 70's, where generally only well-to-do and motivated folks went to college. Sure, they could afford tuition with a summer job and all, but at least now everyone has the freedom to go to college and get a loan essentially no-questions asked. My $300k+ of med school debt was pretty lousy, but now my income is high and ultimately most people would say even borrowing $300k for med school is a financially good decision for most.
1,000,000% agree. I also fear that any "reform" will exclude us because, as a group, we will be deemed not to need taxpayer assistance due to the reasons you cited above. The program right now does NOT look to make money. It looks to have borrowers like us at least partially subsidize those who need subsidies, with taxpayers in the future covering the difference. CBO accounting aside, Congress is not unaware of the economics of the federal student loan program.

TL;DR: Don't hold your breath waiting for interest rates on medical school loans to go down. If anything, they are going to go up as part of any "reform," in addition to what will happen with interest rates in the future, which honestly have nowhere to go but up.

Yeah, I saw the education departments revised outlook from 2019 and 2020. Generally speaking, I don’t place a lot of faith in the reports compiled by departments that are run by political appointees as they have agendas (this goes for both democratic and republican administrations - hence the use of the non-partisan CBO). I’m definitely not arguing that loans for medical school are a raw deal. I think we ended up on this long train when Knightdoc responded that there is a good reason why mortgage rates are lower than student loans in response to my reply from a prior post about folks walking away from student loans / the wisdom of a $10k or $50k forgiveness plan as opposed addressing some of the underlying reasons for why so many loans are in default.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I saw the education departments revised outlook from 2019 and 2020. Generally speaking, I don’t place a lot of faith in the reports compiled by departments that are run by political appointees as they have agendas (this goes for both democratic and republican administrations - hence the use of the non-partisan CBO). I’m definitely not arguing that loans for medical school are a raw deal. I think we ended up on this long train when Knightdoc responded that there is a good reason why mortgage rates are lower than student loans in response to my reply from a prior post about folks walking away from student loans / the wisdom of a $10k or $50k forgiveness plan as opposed addressing some of the underlying reasons for why so many loans are in default.
Yes, and the bottom line is that the appropriate benchmark would be private medical school loans, not fully collateralized mortgages issued to credit worthy borrowers.

If private med school loans have lower interest rates, it's because they lack many generous features of federal loans, not because federal loans are overpriced. After all, for people with bad credit, federal loans are a bargain at any price. And, for everyone else, no one is being to take a federal loan!

There is no federal education policy that calls for subsidizing the training costs of the future top 1%, beyond what is already done through financing residency slots and providing whatever federal money is already funneled to medical schools. Yet another reason there are no Penn grants or subsidized loans for med school.

There is no federal education policy that calls for subsidizing the training costs of the future top 1%, beyond what is already done through financing residency slots and providing whatever federal money is already funneled to medical schools. Yet another reason there are no Penn grants or subsidized loans for med school.
You really have latched onto this idea of subsidizing the top 1%. Is this at all related to what I have mentioned in my posts or are you just pontificating here? My original post was in response to someone discussing folks being encouraged to walk away from student loans - which is not happening. In that post I mentioned that I would prefer a longer term approach than a one time write down of student loan balances as I believe that is a bad precedent that could create the expectation that loans will simply be forgiven down the line. If we borrow the money, I believe we should pay it back. However, with interest rates as high as they are, it creates the conditions where one‘s balance grows despite making payments on loans, folks get discouraged, and end up in default. This is a pretty straightforward fix. Granted, I also think about this in terms of my prior career in education and not my future career as an MD, where the high interest rates really do take a toll on one’s finances, particularly in a field where earning potential is quite low and the education requirements are quite high. $30k in student loans usually yields about a $1200 increase in salary for teachers, but costs $1800 in interest per year before starting to repay the principal.

Im all for markets determining what they will bear, but for education it really doesn’t work well. An MD with a high loan balance who goes to refinance will have an easier time qualifying and receive a much lower rate than a teacher with a small loan balance. In this case, the market decided that it is less of a risk to do business with the MD and/or more lucrative down the line than it will be to do business with the teacher.

You really have latched onto this idea of subsidizing the top 1%. Is this at all related to what I have mentioned in my posts or are you just pontificating here? My original post was in response to someone discussing folks being encouraged to walk away from student loans - which is not happening. In that post I mentioned that I would prefer a longer term approach than a one time write down of student loan balances as I believe that is a bad precedent that could create the expectation that loans will simply be forgiven down the line. If we borrow the money, I believe we should pay it back. However, with interest rates as high as they are, it creates the conditions where one‘s balance grows despite making payments on loans, folks get discouraged, and end up in default. This is a pretty straightforward fix. Granted, I also think about this in terms of my prior career in education and not my future career as an MD, where the high interest rates really do take a toll on one’s finances, particularly in a field where earning potential is quite low and the education requirements are quite high. $30k in student loans usually yields about a $1200 increase in salary for teachers, but costs $1800 in interest per year before starting to repay the principal.

Im all for markets determining what they will bear, but for education it really doesn’t work well. An MD with a high loan balance who goes to refinance will have an easier time qualifying and receive a much lower rate than a teacher with a small loan balance. In this case, the market decided that it is less of a risk to do business with the MD and/or more lucrative down the line than it will be to do business with the teacher.
No, I was only addressing your point about med school loan interest rates being too high because they are higher than mortgage rates.

As uncollateralized personal loans, they are not overpriced, even though they are higher than 10-year Treasury rates.

Any rate loan lower than a private loan involves a government subsidy. Students are not governments, and can never borrow at government rates, because they lack the ability to print money and guarantee repayment. IBR involves a government subsidy. PSLF involves a government subsidy. Just try to estimate what a private loan with all of the features of a federal loan would cost. The difference between that and what a federal direct loan costs is the amount of the subsidy we receive each year.

These things are all great if you can get them, but I honestly don't think we, the future top 1%, should count on continued government subsidies. Doctors with jobs do not end up in default. Lots of other people do. In fact, our role in the program is to partially subsidize those who do default. I just have a feeling that any future reform will involve sticking it to people like us in order to help fund assistance to your former colleagues, not giving us additional subsidies. JMHO, but, no, 6% uncollateralized loans with several provisions that make it possible to not repay some or all principal is not a bad deal.

No, I was only addressing your point about med school loan interest rates being too high because they are higher than mortgage rates.
I believe I said student loans in general in that post.

I believe I said student loans in general in that post.
You did, but what is the relevance of that in a thread about repaying student loans on SDN? I just (apparently mistakenly) assumed you were talking about our student loans, not student loans for inner city grade school teachers, who end up eligible for PSLF anyway, don't they?

You did, but what is the relevance of that in a thread about repaying student loans on SDN? I just (apparently mistakenly) assumed you were talking about our student loans, not student loans for inner city grade school teachers, who end up eligible for PSLF anyway, don't they?
Nope, it was in response to the person talking about $50k in student loan forgiveness proposal in the news. Also just as an aside, we generally do not use the term “inner city” when referring to urban underserved communities. It was a common phrase for a long time but is now regarded as dog whistle. I mention this because I worked in urban underserved communities for the duration of my career and it’s a phrase that could cause problems in the future - literally just talked about this in one if my M1 classes.

I agree. And if only it politicians could talk things over. You're right that blanket forgiveness for everyone would make a big mess of things--I'd love to get my loans forgiven, but it creates the moral hazard of what to do about those who paid off their debt, and what about all the future college kids who get the short end of the stick because colleges feel more bold to increase tuition--it might get forgiven anyway right? Arguably, the guarantee of federal loans has worsened the COA for everyone--how many schools build fancier gyms/hot tubs in their dorms (now apartment style, sometimes with single rooms) to compete with other colleges for students? Of course they pass those costs on to the students.

Everyone deserves access to education--it's in our nation's interest. And some subsidy of the poor by the rich is in our interest as well. As someone worded so wisely, taxes are the price the rich pay to keep from being eaten by the poor. I would argue right now there's not enough subsidy of the poor (particularly during COVID times where the poor have born the brunt of the economic impact--in fact, many rich are better off), but that's a debate for another day...

what about all the future college kids who get the short end of the stick because colleges feel more bold to increase tuition--it might get forgiven anyway right? Arguably, the guarantee of federal loans has worsened the COA for everyone--how many schools build fancier gyms/hot tubs in their dorms (now apartment style, sometimes with single rooms) to compete with other colleges for students? Of course they pass those costs on to the students.

Nope, it was in response to the person talking about $50k in student loan forgiveness proposal in the news. Also just as an aside, we generally do not use the term “inner city” when referring to urban underserved communities. It was a common phrase for a long time but is now regarded as dog whistle. I mention this because I worked in urban underserved communities for the duration of my career and it’s a phrase that could cause problems in the future - literally just talked about this in one if my M1 classes.
Thanks for the heads-up! And, just to continue respectfully disagreeing with you, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about forgiving any specific amount of existing debt, and I'm not sure it's necessary. The amount that can be repaid ultimately will be repaid, and the balance won't, whether it is forgiven now, or at death.

IMHO, the answer to the problem isn't providing an even greater interest subsidy to those who can't pay. As I suggested above, it very well might be providing a free public education to those who meet income thresholds, and eliminating government issued, guaranteed or subsidized student loans altogether. That will force the market to decide what a private school sociology degree is worth, rather than having its price inflated by indiscriminately issued government loans that are destined to burden the borrowers for life, regardless of the interest rate, and ultimately be funded by taxpayers when they are never repaid.

Thanks for the heads-up! And, just to continue respectfully disagreeing with you, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about forgiving any specific amount of existing debt, and I'm not sure it's necessary. The amount that can be repaid ultimately will be repaid, and the balance won't, whether it is forgiven now, or at death.

IMHO, the answer to the problem isn't providing an even greater interest subsidy to those who can't pay. As I suggested above, it very well might be providing a free public education to those who meet income thresholds, and eliminating government issued, guaranteed or subsidized student loans altogether. That will force the market to decide what a private school sociology degree is worth, rather than having its price inflated by indiscriminately issued government loans that are destined to burden the borrowers for life, regardless of the interest rate, and ultimately be funded by taxpayers.
I think dead end degrees with low economic value should require one to sign a paper basically stating that they know the field had a lousy job market so they can't complain later on that they are 100k in debt for a Greek mythology degree.

I do agree I think they need to cap state schools at a low rate, offer federal loans for those schools and private schools need private loans. If state school is 10k a year and provides a good quality education, private schools can't get too crazy with tuition costs or they won't get students.

In Columbus Ohio State is 10k a year in state which is cheap, and you can transfer from Columbus State which is a community College that is less than 5k a year. The expensive private schools nearby are more expensive but they get alot of students that didn't get into osu out of high school. They take out like 3x the loans because they don't want to go to the cc for a year and transfer.

Last edited:
I think dead end degrees with low economic value should require one to sign a paper basically stating that they know the field had a lousy job market so they can't complain later on that they are 100k in debt for a Greek mythology degree.

I do agree I think they need to cap state schools at a low rate, offer federal loans for those schools and private schools need private loans. If state school is 10k a year and provides a good quality education, private schools can't get too crazy with tuition costs or they won't get students.
It's not about getting people to sign a piece of paper, because you can't get blood from a stone, no matter what they sign. The answer is to not fund it at a private school, which would force schools to bring their pricing in line with people's willingness and ability to pay with whatever money is available in the private market. Believe me, banks will figure out what to fund and how to price it.

If a wealthy family wants to pay for a philosophy degree at Harvard, great, that's what choice is all about. If a less affluent family wants to send their kid to a less prestigious private school that doesn't offer scholarships, they won't be able to do so and later stick taxpayers with the bill. Their kid will have to get into their state school and settle for that, or else figure out something else to do. I agree that everyone shouldn't be enabled to do whatever they want, with someone else being forced to pay for it.

As for public schools, why not just make them free for people who meet income requirements, thereby eliminating federal loans altogether?

It's not about getting people to sign a piece of paper, because you can't get blood from a stone, no matter what they sign. The answer is to not fund it at a private school, which would force schools to bring their pricing in line with people's willingness and ability to pay with whatever money is available in the private market. Believe me, banks will figure out what to fund and how to price it.

As for public schools, why not just make them free for people who meet income requirements, thereby eliminating federal loans altogether?
That sounds like a great plan that would work, I just feel like people will call that anti capitalist because it's "controlling the market".

Could you imagine the spending spree colleges would go on if it became free for some *many* students? The most interesting thing to me about higher education is the lengths to which schools try to compete for students by funding amenities at the expense of affordability. I remember a friends business program decided to increase tuition significantly because they felt that their current rate was too low compared to similar programs. This brilliant dean concluded that the lower price made some students conclude that the program was not very good and the fix was to simply raise the price. Never mind the fact that the comparable programs were in SF, LA, Denver, Chicago, and Phoenix. There has to be some effort to rein in spending practices and costs.

That sounds like a great plan that would work, I just feel like people will call that anti capitalist because it's "controlling the market".
Maybe, but it would actually be the exact opposite of controlling the market. It would guarantee a free education for everyone able to be admitted to their IS public schools (2 year, 4 year, flagship, whatever) and allow the market to decide the value of all other schools and degrees, with zero public subsidies.

People who can't pay and can't qualify for private loans can't go, which will drive demand and prices down for everyone else. Win-win, except for the schools, who will have to learn to live with not having prices propped up by guaranteed student loans.

Could you imagine the spending spree colleges would go on if it became free for some *many* students? The most interesting thing to me about higher education is the lengths to which schools try to compete for students by funding amenities at the expense of affordability. I remember a friends business program decided to increase tuition significantly because they felt that their current rate was too low compared to similar programs. This brilliant dean concluded that the lower price made some students conclude that the program was not very good and the fix was to simply raise the price. Never mind the fact that the comparable programs were in SF, LA, Denver, Chicago, and Phoenix. There has to be some effort to rein in spending practices and costs.
No, not really, because I'm only talking about public schools, which already receive huge public subsidies.

All my suggestion would do is eliminate federal loans (and replace them with federal grants) from the equation for those who qualify. Public schools can't go crazy because their states typically approve their tuition, and because many students will not qualify for the federal grants.

It would actually cause most schools to have to significantly tighten their belts, because guaranteed federal loans would no longer be a thing. Schools would either have to replace them with money it would lend itself (and then bear the credit risk of people being unable to later repay), or find banks willing to lend, at interest rates they could live with (which would be significantly higher than the rates you were complaining about before), which would cause many people to refuse to borrow at those rates, which would drive tuition down.

Ultimately, the free market would decide what tuition is worth, without distortions caused by guaranteed loans available to all without regard to ability to repay.

Last edited:
If they could cap how much public schools cost and focus on making the quality of the education great, than that would force private schools to price their tuition more reasonably. A smart person isn't going to want to go to a school that's 60k a year for a similar education that costs 10k a year at a state school. That would allow the market to control the prices. Alot of state schools offer need based scholarships also that will almost completely pay one's tuition at a school at that price if they qualify.

If they could cap how much public schools cost and focus on making the quality of the education great, than that would force private schools to price their tuition more reasonably. A smart person isn't going to want to go to a school that's 60k a year for a similar education that costs 10k a year at a state school. That would allow the market to control the prices. Alot of state schools offer need based scholarships also that will almost completely pay one's tuition at a school at that price if they qualify.
That‘d definitely be an improvement. My public school has definitely been on a spending spree over the past few years building out new dorms, rec center, student centers, athletics facilities, etc with little focus on academics. I attended on scholarship in the early 2010s and the price has increased by about 80% from when I started about a decade ago. While some of that increase can be attributed to declining state funding and increased personnel costs, a lot of it stems from amenities that are extraneous to its core function.

That‘d definitely be an improvement. My public school has definitely been on a spending spree over the past few years building out new dorms, rec center, student centers, athletics facilities, etc with little focus on academics. I attended on scholarship in the early 2010s and the price has increased by about 80% from when I started about a decade ago. While some of that increase can be attributed to declining state funding and increased personnel costs, a lot of it stems from amenities that are extraneous to its core function.
That's a shame Ohio State has kept their tuition static for a while, but they try to get your money other ways. I think state schools should be capped at 10 or 15 thousand a year max. That way the Pell grant can fund a decent portion of the tuition. I was lucky enough with Pell grant and other grants and scholarships that my tuition was free, but I had to take out loans for living expenses.

Yeah, well, gotta keep up with the competition. It's easy when everyone can get guaranteed loans and worry about repaying later. Less so when banks are making the lending decisions, building in profits and the cost of defaults, as well as refusing to lend to everyone. Trust me, that would put significant downward pressure on costs, guarantee access to those who need it, and probably cost not much more (or maybe even less) than is being spent now on loans that will never be repaid.

I dunno kids. In my world, when you sign a contract you are bound by it’s terms. Before you borrow money do a cost benefit analysis and know how you will pay it back. The physician salary and employment situation today is NOT one that automatically allows essentially unlimited loans. Salaries today do not support that kind of debt.

I dunno kids. In my world, when you sign a contract you are bound by it’s terms. Before you borrow money do a cost benefit analysis and know how you will pay it back. The physician salary and employment situation today is NOT one that automatically allows essentially unlimited loans. Salaries today do not support that kind of debt.
This sounds very doomy and gloomy. "Unlimited" is a very large number. What would you say is the number, discounted back to present value, that would justify chasing the higher earning potential of a physician as compared to the alternative, even taking into account the years of zero or reduced income during training? Just what level of debt DO salaries today support?

Surely, it is far higher than zero, as evidenced by all of the doctors incurring all of that debt, and yet, still living very materially comfortable lives after residency and fellowship. Keep in mind that nothing is guaranteed. Managed care was going to destroy the economics of medicine a generation ago, now it's MFA, and there is always going to be something that is going to represent a threat in the future.

Assuming we allow ourselves to be paralyzed by fear of the future, what's the magic number, assuming we don't have wealthy parents who can easily write checks, or As at schools willing to give us full COA scholarships? $50K? $100K? $200K? And, just what do we do beyond that? Become lab managers? PAs? Investment bankers? Day traders? :)

Public schools with great programs and significant tuition benefits versus private schools, in some cases have gotten just as competitive to get admissions. This forces and outs the less fortunate with less good public k-12 education at a big disadvantage as they can’t compete as easily. Many states previously allocated seats to all regions to counteract this effect, but more recently allocations have been legally overturned to be straight merit (scores and gpa’s etc) for admission. Our own local high school doubled their acceptances once our state went merit based. The value of these state schools are too great to over look for the prestige of a private school name.

In the past 10-20 years, many highly regarded state schools have successfully pilfered many students who more traditionally would have gone to private schools. Factoring out inflation, private schools have more than doubled in cost than 25-30 years ago mostly due to the fact “because they could” from the availability of all the loan money available to students.

Public schools with great programs and significant tuition benefits versus private schools, in some cases have gotten just as competitive to get admissions. This forces and outs the less fortunate with less good public k-12 education at a big disadvantage as they can’t compete as easily. Many states previously allocated seats to all regions to counteract this effect, but more recently allocations have been legally overturned to be straight merit (scores and gpa’s etc) for admission. Our own local high school doubled their acceptances once our state went merit based. The value of these state schools are too great to over look for the prestige of a private school name.

In the past 10-20 years, many highly regarded state schools have successfully pilfered many students who more traditionally would have gone to private schools. Factoring out inflation, private schools have more than doubled in cost than 25-30 years ago mostly due to the fact “because they could” from the availability of all the loan money available to students.
You can always go to a community college and transfer over for most state schools right? That's what I did because my high school was inadequate at preparing students for college

Factoring out inflation, private schools have more than doubled in cost than 25-30 years ago mostly due to the fact “because they could” from the availability of all the loan money available to students.
Is it because they could or is it because they are doing wealth distribution.

Is it because they could or is it because they are doing wealth distribution.
It's because they could. The aggregate amount of student loan debt outstanding indicates a LOT of people are borrowing to pay those tuition bills, and that affluent people writing checks to have their wealth be redistributed is not what has been driving uncontrolled price increases since the 1980s.

P.S. It is my understanding that uncontrolled price increases, compounded over many years, has impacted costs throughout higher education. As a result, while it might feel like your wealth is being redistributed, that is NOT what is happening in higher education, unlike federal and state taxation.

Subsidies to those less fortunate typically come from endowment money, not your tuition and fees, which, at most private schools, are also partially subsidized by endowment money. Your money is going towards beautiful new facilities so that your kid wants to attend, bloated administrations, faculty salaries and benefits, etc. It is not going to subsidize someone else's kid.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Live like a pauper for a few years as an attending, and you'll be able to knock the loans out quickly.