Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

is it possible to pay for school entirely by loans?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by cet, May 5, 2000.

1. cet

cet Member

i am not really interested in making a commitment to the armed forces/IHS/NHSC. if you didnt have the means to contribute or have a family contribution, can you just pay for the whole 4 years thru loans? for example stafford etc? can you get enough to pay for living and tuition expenses? the school i am considering is estimated 48K for all expenses for the first year. thanks :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

My school's budget (including tuition, living expenses, books, etc.) was around 42 grand when I started last August. I had absolutely no trouble getting the loans to pay for it all, and I am not anticipating any trouble paying for next year with loans. With a budget of 48K though, your financial aid office may have to go and get you some private loans. Don't worry about it, 99% of med students go through school paying for it all using loans...I guarantee the school you are considering has tons of students going through paying for every cent with loans. You'll be fine.

4. adas

adas Junior Member

Your loans can get loans in medical school. Basically you don't need a penny. My tuition is 24,000 but I can get 46,000. Go figure!