Is it possible to practice in Europe after Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious. Is it possible to obtain a degree in the states, and then spend a few years practicing in Europe?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely, there are boards for the EU that you must pass. Then you must pass the exams for the country that you want to practice. I don't know if you must do a residency for the country you want to practice in though. Some of the doctors I work with have taken and passed the EU exam. One of them has recently been asked to be a consult in France for a rare type of cancer, but this is not the same as staying and practicing in a european country though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some european countries are pretty desperate for physicians as well - especially on the primary care level.

thats great news...id love to practice medicine in a place like italy!

does anyone know if doctors make as much as they do stateside what with socialized medicine and all?

does anyone know if doctors make as much as they do stateside what with socialized medicine and all?

Yeah everybody wants that. Do you ever wonder why people from there come here to get an education and then 99% of the times stay?
BTW I'm from there, I know what it's like. Just enjoy Italy for your vacations,
the moment you try to work...poof, the dream is gone.

u.s. medical training is the best in the world, without a close second. you'll be able to practice on jupiter, if you wanted to.

Haha...

Of course not. Not only that but countries like Italy and Greece suffer from a greatly overeducated and underemployed population. This results in a wildly unfamiliar concept for us in the US which is physician unemployment. Thousands of them. In england things may be different (Average GP salary through the NHS is ~100k pounds) but I don't know much about their system.

Di dove sei plauto?

u.s. medical training is the best in the world, without a close second. you'll be able to practice on jupiter, if you wanted to.

While you may be able to legally practice nearly anywhere you'd be surprised as to some of the significant barriers that exist to establishing a practice that can earn you living wages. You could work in the public sector in any other country but England, but good luck paying your med school loans off with your 35k euro salary, regardless of specialty.

Edit: Also, there are those who might contest that the US has the "highest quality of medical education without a close second." Namely, many of those who trained in England.

Haha...

Of course not. Not only that but countries like Italy and Greece suffer from a greatly overeducated and underemployed population. This results in a wildly unfamiliar concept for us in the US which is physician unemployment. Thousands of them. In england things may be different (Average GP salary through the NHS is ~100k pounds) but I don't know much about their system.

Di dove sei plauto?

Di Roma, e sono venuto qui dopo il diploma alle superiori.

I agree with everything you said in your posts. I know of doctors in Italy that, if lucky, worked on an ambulance for 1000 euros a month.
Plus without connections you won't even get that.
Vacation time is great over there though.....

I agree with everything you said in your posts. I know of doctors in Italy that, if lucky, worked on an ambulance for 1000 euros a month.

Sei romanista o tifoso del Lazio? Io sono stato a Viterbo per quasi un anno durante le superiori. Ci sei mai stato?

Sei romanista o tifoso del Lazio? Io sono stato a Viterbo per quasi un anno durante le superiori. Ci sei mai stato?

I laziali sono tutti burini (rednecks in case you're not familiar with the word!)
I Romani sono tutti romanisti. Viterbo e' carina, ma piena di Laziali....
FORZA ROMA

I laziali sono tutti burini (rednecks in case you're not familiar with the word!)
I Romani sono tutti romanisti. Viterbo e' carina, ma piena di Laziali....
FORZA ROMA

Si, si conosco questa parola. Burini, come se faccessero buro :). Mi dispiace se facio sbagli di grammatica. No ho speso l'opportunita' di parlare italiano e ho gia dimenticato molto, al meno cosi' mi pare. Comunque, I miei host genitori erano romanisti e io sono diventato lo stesso. In quale zona di Roma abitavi?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you translate into English? I am interested in this post.

lol i took four years of italian in high school and i barely got the jist of what was said.

lol i took four years of italian in high school and i barely got the jist of what was said.

Thats why you need to study abroad :]. I never study Italian before or after (except for one semester after) going to Italy. My Italian isn't perfect but I can communicate fairly well.

Also, there are those who might contest that the US has the "highest quality of medical education without a close second." Namely, many of those who trained in England.

there are also people who contest that cake is better than pie. like those english-trained doctors, they are wrong.

there are also people who contest that cake is better than pie. like those english-trained doctors, they are wrong.

Thanks for being so forthcoming with how weak your argument is :laugh:

I've study Italian for a few months in college and understood everything he said. What were they teaching you at your high school?

Yes. However, this is the only time IMO, when it actually matters that one goes to an MD school as appose to DO (from what I hear). Check the laws where you plan to practice.

yo, if you are gonna take out mad loans, I don't think you would want to be paid less. If you are set on this, I would go to school in Europe or something from get-go to reduce debt. better get your finances straight

English-speaking countries have the highest healthcare salaries you're going to find anywhere. And some Gulf nations, too. Southern and central Europe give ridiculously paltry salaries across all healthcare professions, not just doctors. Nurses in Italy make ~800 euro a month compared to ~4000 USD here. They make better money in Scandinavian countries, almost on par to what they earn here, but oddly enough, doctors still get shafted.

http://mdsalaries.blogspot.com/2008/01/american-versus-australian-european.html

wow, this is an old thread. On a somewhat related tangent, I have a fellow classmate who told me several times that after getting his MD here is going to take off to South America to complete his residency and work there. Does anybody know what happens with his loans if he decides to "forget" about them and just live his life there?

While you may be able to legally practice nearly anywhere you'd be surprised as to some of the significant barriers that exist to establishing a practice that can earn you living wages. You could work in the public sector in any other country but England, but good luck paying your med school loans off with your 35k euro salary, regardless of specialty.

Edit: Also, there are those who might contest that the US has the "highest quality of medical education without a close second." Namely, many of those who trained in England.

Why the hell would you want to pay off your U.S. medical school loans when you're in another country? :laugh:

Ahahahha I don't even remembering starting this thread. O how things have changes....now I want to be a physician scientist...wow

dammit, gotta look at the dates

Ahahahha I don't even remembering starting this thread. O how things have changes....now I want to be a physician scientist...wow

Yeah, when I saw this thread I thought it was slightly out of character since I've seen you post a lot about MD/PhD...

I've study Italian for a few months in college and understood everything he said. What were they teaching you at your high school?

LOL you bumped the thread to say this?

You bumped the thread to say THAT?

;p

I felt it was necessary

(and yet again, chrisski bumps an archaic thread with a meaningless comment)

You bumped this thread to comment about another's comment about your bumping?

You bumped this thread to comment about another's comment about your bumping?

Yes, in fact, I did. I feel that a thread is like a fine wine. It becomes better with age. :rolleyes: