Is it possible to practice telemed or in a urgent care with only 1 year of residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021acc117

Reaction score
What are the career prospects of someone who only completed 1 year of residency but doesn't plan to full time. Are there telemed or urgent care opportunities that can made decent income? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the career prospects of someone who only completed 1 year of residency but doesn't plan to full time. Are there telemed or urgent care opportunities that can made decent income? Thanks.
Only some states would allow full licensure with only a PGY-1 year of training and passing USMLE/COMLEX Step 3, so you would be limited in which states you can practice. If you can get fully licensed in those states, there are some places that will employ someone with just a PGY-1 year but these tend to be the least desirable jobs in probably not so desirable locations that couldn't find a board-certified physician (usually in IM, FM, EM, or peds) to begin with. Most employment positions, including telemed and urgent care, expect someone to be board-certified or board-eligible in one or more specific specialties, none of which would be possible with just a PGY-1 year.

You can try Indian Health Service (IHS). My friend works for them with just a PGY-1 post grad training year. He makes ~200k/yr plus good benefits. The good thing about working for IHS is that you are working for the Feds, meaning you need 1 state license to be able to work
ANYWHERE in the country. I remember my friend told me he is also getting ~20k/yr in student loan repayment,

As the poster above alluded to, these place won't be in Miami, LA, NY, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas etc... think about Indian reservations in rural OK, MT, NM, AZ etc..

Last edited: