Is it possible to prepare for mcat while taking biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogeter82

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to write for mcat this April. However I will be starting biochemistry in January . Us it possible to thoroughly prepare for mcat an do well on biochem while working full time job? I want to be a doctor really bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely! Biochemistry is a perfect class to overlap with MCAT review. I learned a great trick for pI that I wished I knew when I took biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
We got our first exam back an I bombed it. The average was a 58. She said she will curve it. I have 3 more tests. I really want to stay in the class. I work full time. When I get home I am so exhausted. So I don't study. Any suggestions on having enough energy to study. I work 2nd shift full time.

Can you sneak in any notecard study time at work? I'm a cook and can occasionally get through some Anki cards if I'm just waiting for something to finish baking and everything else is done. It's not a lot of time but knocking out a few cards here and there adds up. Also I'm assuming you work 5 days a week, so make the best out of those two other days. It sucks but it'll be worth it.

Can you sneak in any notecard study time at work? I'm a cook and can occasionally get through some Anki cards if I'm just waiting for something to finish baking and everything else is done. It's not a lot of time but knocking out a few cards here and there adds up. Also I'm assuming you work 5 days a week, so make the best out of those two other days. It sucks but it'll be worth it.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words.
Yes that's a good idea I'll bring flash cards with me. I can look at them in between patients.

I guess it depends on the individual. I'm currently taking Biochemistry and 2 other science classes (Microbiology and Immunology) and somehow trying to study for the MCAT (but failing). I think of the 3 classes, Biochemistry is the most manageable because all the stuff is relatable to things you've seen before. It's pretty straight forward material, but I guess it varies from person to person. I just took my first exam this past week and thought it was okay. But that's because I read the relevant chapters, reviewed my notes, and did all the end-of chapter questions. But for some reason, it seems like 90% of the class didn't finish their exams, some were even crying outside the class which I found weird because I not only finished it, but double-checked my answers twice. (And I'm just your average joe). The upcoming material is a little more challenging because it's not material I've really seen before and will require more time, but all of the information is applicable to the MCAT in some way, which is why I love taking the class. It's really interesting too. Immunology on the other hand... geesh. I wanna hang myself every time we finish a lecture. The amount of material that keeps building is just insane. Microbiology is okay, but one thing I hate about traditional undergrad lecture classes like this one is they require memorization of some historic people in the field and certain diseases and those type of detailed facts don't really help much for MCAT prep. That's another reason why Biochemistry is preferable to me is because you don't really encounter that problem too much.

Biochemistry I is basically the last material covered in OChem II with some added info.
Biochemistry II is more challenging because it deals with various metabolic pathways.

Yes
I guess it depends on the individual. I'm currently taking Biochemistry and 2 other science classes (Microbiology and Immunology) and somehow trying to study for the MCAT (but failing). I think of the 3 classes, Biochemistry is the most manageable because all the stuff is relatable to things you've seen before. It's pretty straight forward material, but I guess it varies from person to person. I just took my first exam this past week and thought it was okay. But that's because I read the relevant chapters, reviewed my notes, and did all the end-of chapter questions. But for some reason, it seems like 90% of the class didn't finish their exams, some were even crying outside the class which I found weird because I not only finished it, but double-checked my answers twice. (And I'm just your average joe). The upcoming material is a little more challenging because it's not material I've really seen before and will require more time, but all of the information is applicable to the MCAT in some way, which is why I love taking the class. It's really interesting too. Immunology on the other hand... geesh. I wanna hang myself every time we finish a lecture. The amount of material that keeps building is just insane. Microbiology is okay, but one thing I hate about traditional undergrad lecture classes like this one is they require memorization of some historic people in the field and certain diseases and those type of detailed facts don't really help much for MCAT prep. That's another reason why Biochemistry is preferable to me is because you don't really encounter that problem too much.

Biochemistry I is basically the last material covered in OChem II with some added info.
Biochemistry II is more challenging because it deals with various metabolic pathways.

Yes this time around I will finish the chapters an do questions at the end of each reading. I pray next exam will be much better. I'll have to study MCAT too. I hope you do well. Thanks for the advice.

I studied for the MCAT while working, and prepped for/wrote the NCLEX-RN a few weeks prior to my MCAT test date. But it really depends on the individual in the end.