Is it possible to rebuild passion for Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustLookingforAnswers

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just looking for helpful advice. I am pre-med, and have worked extremely hard (3.93 GPA). I busted my butt getting A's in Physics, Organic chem, etc. and I was strongly motivated to do all of that stuff but suddenly it's like I am not motivated anymore to keep continuing forward. I need to study for the MCAT, and I suddenly have no motivation for it...I am not sure why. I don't know if it's burn out or a sudden switch in interests. For whatever reason, I was more passionate about medicine last semester (taking Organic Chem, Physics, etc) but I was so incredibly burned out that when the semester ended, it's like I don't want to try anymore. My interest in medicine has gotten more bleak, and it discourages me since I always dreamed of being a Doctor and now lately it's like I am considering not doing it anymore...

Any suggestions? Anyone else feel like this and "rebound" back into deciding medicine is for you?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'd recommend shadowing a physician if you can. I felt this way halfway through undergrad as I kinda lost sight of what it was that I was pursuing. Once I started shadowing, I remembered how much I wanted to be a doctor and knew it was all worth it

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done any clinical activities? shadowed physicians, volunteered in outreach clinics, worked with chronically ill patients etc? I know I always felt more passionate about medicine when I had a significant patient interaction or learn something really cool from a physician I'm shadowing or working with.

Second this.

Also, know that starting to plan for the MCAT is a big wall for a lot of people. Many decide not to cross it and go on to do something else. Even when you are in the middle of studying, it is a continuously will-sapping experience.

That is to say, what you are feeling is perfectly normal, especially after a really tough semester. It might be the case that you would prefer to do something else and that's OK too. I'd recommend getting some more clinical experience to try to "re-center" yourself. If you still have no motivation (or less) after that, then it might be smart to consider other options.

I'd also recommend signing up for a physiology class if you haven't taken one yet. Easily my favorite class in undergrad. I finally felt like I was learning something useful for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Go buy a motorcycle and do something interesting for a month or two

I walked away from medicine (getting an MD, at least) for a year after undergrad, moved abroad, and just lived life. At that time, I really didn't think I would ever want to be a doctor again. The time away from the 'premed' life and getting an opportunity to try something else gave me the space I needed to really think about what I wanted. Turns out- it is definitely medicine. Now I am starting in the fall 100% convinced it is the right thing for me, rather than feeling unsure. Bonus: I got to live in and travel throughout Europe for a year. I wouldn't change a thing.

Takeaway: you can find your passion for medicine again and taking time off is a good way to find the space to think and you may have some really awesome experiences in the meantime. You also may decide it's not for you and you save a lot of debt and time figuring that out sooner than later!

Also, know that starting to plan for the MCAT is a big wall for a lot of people. Many decide not to cross it and go on to do something else. Even when you are in the middle of studying, it is a continuously will-sapping experience.
This.

When I began to start studying for the MCAT, I realized that I remembered very little from my pre-reqs. I was in the middle of a semester that I had anticipated to be an easier one, that turned out to be extremely stressful and draining. I watched a good friend of mine, who had been studying for the MCAT since the previous summer, receive a devastatingly low score. Between this, the stress of my coursework, and what seemed like an impossible amount of information to re-learn, I started to doubt if medicine was for me. Another friend made me realize that it was very possible that all of this doubt stemmed from my fear that I couldn't score well. She convinced me to push back my exam date, stop worrying about if medicine is my passion or not, and just keep studying. If after the MCAT if I still was unsure of my path to deal with it then. For me, all of my doubt disappeared soon after the MCAT. After sitting for the exam, I realized how badly my mind was playing tricks on me.

This may not be the case for you, but it is something you should consider. Taking the MCAT does not commit you to becoming a doctor.

Quite frankly, MCAT studying is crazy sucky. The grass is much greener on the other side, keep on working!

Anyone can be fed up with studying, especially basic science at the undergrad level. If the MCAT is the issue, don't take it this year...med school isn't going anywhere, and you can do all sorts of things to better yourself as a person and get a better feel for the job. Take it from me, the last thing you want is to be in practice for 15 years and find you no longer have a passion for the work.

Another vote here for doing as much shadowing as you can. Don't base your decisions off of super dry undergrad coursework

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile