Is it possible to transfer from a DO school to MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disque71

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or actually done this. Is it possible to transfer after a year or two?

Members don't see this ad.

disque71 said:
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or actually done this. Is it possible to transfer after a year or two?

No.

Just go straight into an allopathic school. Transferring is a futile and time-wasting attempt that will most likely not succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
bbaek said:
Just go straight into an allopathic school. Transferring is a futile and time-wasting attempt that will most likely not succeed.
I gather from the OPs posts (inquiring about law school and now osteo) that going into allo might not be an option. But I agree with the other posters, you will be unlikely to be able to transfer from DO to MD.

It is possible, but there are only few schools that will accept you as a transfer. At most schools, you will have to apply again (no transfer). If you want to goto allo school, apply there directly to save you time and money.

dr.z said:
It is possible, but there are only few schools that will accept you as a transfer. At most schools, you will have to apply again (no transfer). If you want to goto allo school, apply there directly to save you time and money.
...so what you're really saying is that you can't transfer and it's not possible.

I've never heard of it happening, and if it does, its super rare.....its hard enough to transfer b/w MD schools, except under certain circumstances, such as your wife/husband lives nearby...very very few spots reserved for transfer students

patzan said:
...so what you're really saying is that you can't transfer and it's not possible.

I think AAMC site had info for transfers to allo schools from DO and dental schools. It is possible, but very very rare. You need a better excuse than I don't like DO title since they require significant reason for transfer.

dr.z said:
I think AAMC site had info for transfers to allo schools from DO and dental schools. It is possible, but very very rare. You need a better excuse than I don't like DO title since they require significant reason for transfer.

My dad started out in a DO school, transferred to an MD school halfway through and is now a successful anethesiologist. However, if you can get into an MD school right away do that. My dad had no other choice.

lagringa87xc said:
My dad started out in a DO school, transferred to an MD school halfway through and is now a successful anethesiologist. However, if you can get into an MD school right away do that. My dad had no other choice.

That's awesome...I guess he really kicked some ace once in med school huh?

lagringa87xc said:

My dad started in foreign medical school and transferred to an allo school. He is now an extremely successful neurosurgeon. (He applied to medical school in the late seventies when apps were at a peak.) He killed Step 1, or whatever was the equivalent back then. DO --> MD has also been done, I know one person who transferred from a DO school to a lower-tier MD school to be near his wife. It's not the right path if you can get into allo outright. But it's not impossible, as some would have you believe.

its possible. i've met someone who succesfully did it. and i've talked to a couple others that are trying now. its not easy. only a few MD schools accept transfers from DO schools. most MD schools explicity state in their transfer policies that students from DO schools, dental school, or vet school etc can not transfer for advanced standing, but there are a few that let it happen.

the hardest part isn't necessarily getting a school to let you in, but getting the school you're leaving to let you go, because transfer is different from re-application. with a transfer, you need deans letters, and good reccs, basically giving you a blessing to transfer. coming up with a good reason to sell the school you're leaving is the trickiest part.

disque71 said:
you should assume not