Is it possible to transfer from a DO school to MD school?

disque71

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
94
0
Status
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or actually done this. Is it possible to transfer after a year or two?
 

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
274
0
Status
Just go straight into an allopathic school. Transferring is a futile and time-wasting attempt that will most likely not succeed.
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,891
Status
Attending Physician
bbaek said:
Just go straight into an allopathic school. Transferring is a futile and time-wasting attempt that will most likely not succeed.
I gather from the OPs posts (inquiring about law school and now osteo) that going into allo might not be an option. But I agree with the other posters, you will be unlikely to be able to transfer from DO to MD.
 

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
4,096
4
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It is possible, but there are only few schools that will accept you as a transfer. At most schools, you will have to apply again (no transfer). If you want to goto allo school, apply there directly to save you time and money.
 

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
711
2
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dr.z said:
It is possible, but there are only few schools that will accept you as a transfer. At most schools, you will have to apply again (no transfer). If you want to goto allo school, apply there directly to save you time and money.
...so what you're really saying is that you can't transfer and it's not possible.
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
I've never heard of it happening, and if it does, its super rare.....its hard enough to transfer b/w MD schools, except under certain circumstances, such as your wife/husband lives nearby...very very few spots reserved for transfer students
 

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
4,096
4
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
patzan said:
...so what you're really saying is that you can't transfer and it's not possible.
I think AAMC site had info for transfers to allo schools from DO and dental schools. It is possible, but very very rare. You need a better excuse than I don't like DO title since they require significant reason for transfer.
 

lagringa87xc

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
31
0
Status
dr.z said:
I think AAMC site had info for transfers to allo schools from DO and dental schools. It is possible, but very very rare. You need a better excuse than I don't like DO title since they require significant reason for transfer.
My dad started out in a DO school, transferred to an MD school halfway through and is now a successful anethesiologist. However, if you can get into an MD school right away do that. My dad had no other choice.
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
lagringa87xc said:
My dad started out in a DO school, transferred to an MD school halfway through and is now a successful anethesiologist. However, if you can get into an MD school right away do that. My dad had no other choice.
That's awesome...I guess he really kicked some ace once in med school huh?
 

criminallyinane

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
616
0
Status
lagringa87xc said:
My dad started out in a DO school, transferred to an MD school halfway through and is now a successful anethesiologist. However, if you can get into an MD school right away do that. My dad had no other choice.
My dad started in foreign medical school and transferred to an allo school. He is now an extremely successful neurosurgeon. (He applied to medical school in the late seventies when apps were at a peak.) He killed Step 1, or whatever was the equivalent back then. DO --> MD has also been done, I know one person who transferred from a DO school to a lower-tier MD school to be near his wife. It's not the right path if you can get into allo outright. But it's not impossible, as some would have you believe.
 

PublicEnemy

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
788
1
38
Visit site
Status
its possible. i've met someone who succesfully did it. and i've talked to a couple others that are trying now. its not easy. only a few MD schools accept transfers from DO schools. most MD schools explicity state in their transfer policies that students from DO schools, dental school, or vet school etc can not transfer for advanced standing, but there are a few that let it happen.

the hardest part isn't necessarily getting a school to let you in, but getting the school you're leaving to let you go, because transfer is different from re-application. with a transfer, you need deans letters, and good reccs, basically giving you a blessing to transfer. coming up with a good reason to sell the school you're leaving is the trickiest part.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
disque71 said:
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or actually done this. Is it possible to transfer after a year or two?
you should assume not