Is it possible to transfer from a u.s. medical school to another one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karenwkyk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cousin and her boyfriend is considering to get marry in 1 -2 years, but my cousin and him live in different states. My cousin is a medical student, and her boyfriend has a very good job, has a very good income and most importantly he love it. Thus, it is impossible for him to change job. On the other hand, my cousin feels indifferent toward the school, but she is much rather to live in her boyfriend city than here. So, is it possible to transfer to another medical school especially she is the resident of that state too.

Members don't see this ad.

karenwkyk said:
My cousin and her boyfriend is considering to get marry in 1 -2 years, but my cousin and him live in different states. My cousin is a medical student, and her boyfriend has a very good job, has a very good income and most importantly he love it. Thus, it is impossible for him to change job. On the other hand, my cousin feels indifferent toward the school, but she is much rather to live in her boyfriend city than here. So, is it possible to transfer to another medical school especially she is the resident of that state too.
Some medical schools will accept transfers - but usually only after second year (and step 1). My friend completed years one and two of medical school in Missouri, then years three and four at Tufts in Boston as he husband was a postdoc. at Harvard. It's best to contact the school of interest directly.

If they are married then they have an excellent reason for a transfer and should be able to get one. As stated above you must transfer after passing step 1 of the USMLE and completing your 2nd year of med school. My sister did this without much trouble. Private schools are usually easier to transfer into because they are very happy to accept your tuition and a couple of students drop out or decel every year.

Good luck