Is it realistic to do undergrad in Canada and med school in the states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jfz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I want to get my undergraduate degree here in Canada and then apply to med schools in the states. In general, how are schools with accepting international (more specifically) Canadian students?

This is my first post here, and this is a super big/intimidating forum so I apologize if this should have gone somewhere else, but I figure it was more pre-med than high school, even though I'm not actually in university until the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, I want to get my undergraduate degree here in Canada and then apply to med schools in the states. In general, how are schools with accepting international (more specifically) Canadian students?

This is my first post here, and this is a super big/intimidating forum so I apologize if this should have gone somewhere else, but I figure it was more pre-med than high school, even though I'm not actually in university until the fall.

Is it realistic? Well it happens...I personally know two people who did this. Both went to undergrad in Canada, and then one got into Case Western for med school, the other got into several DO schools (i think she only applied to one MD school and is waitlisted). I'm not sure there is a general answer to your question...you need to check with each school you're interested in. I would imagine sources like the MSAR and schools' own websites will have stats on international applicants and their outcomes. I believe most (if not all) private med schools here will take international students (and thus are your best chance). It's the public schools that are less likely to take them and you need to check with each one for sure. I know the public med school I'm attending in the Fall does not take international students (at least as of last year).