Is it really an advantage for your acceptance if you are a certified tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackeyWackey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, just curious, is it really an advantage to be a certified tech when you apply to different pharmacy schools? I have been working over a year at my pharmacy, so it's not like I do not know my stuff. I know it may just look better because you have more "stuff" to put on your applications, but really now? What do you think? I am not certified by the way, but have been working for Osco for like 1 1/2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

BackeyWackey said:
Well, just curious, is it really an advantage to be a certified tech when you apply to different pharmacy schools? I have been working over a year at my pharmacy, so it's not like I do not know my stuff. I know it may just look better because you have more "stuff" to put on your applications, but really now? What do you think? I am not certified by the way, but have been working for Osco for like 1 1/2 years.

Any pharmacy experience helps you. So many applicants have none, so this is just another way to stand out from the crowd. Also, having done pharmacy for more than a year also is great.

Side note, why are you not certified? It's not like it takes a genius to pass the certification test, and you probably wouldn't need to study because you have so much experience. Does your employer pay for the test? With certification, you could get more $$, and if your current employer wouldn't give you a raise, there are many other pharmacies that would pay you more.

BackeyWackey said:
Im sure it helps some, but not as much as good scores/gpa. I dont have any experience and got in over peoplewith many years of certified tech experience. I guess it would set you apart if they were deciding between you and someone with equal stats. Good Luck! You should go ahead and get certified, you will make more money and it should be easy for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Im not certified because where I work, it is not necessary to be certified to be a tech. I guess Im just lucky. :) But I will consider working on that after this summer semester is over. Is the certification process just like the PCAT where they only offer a few tests a year?

BackeyWackey said:
Thanks guys! Im not certified because where I work, it is not necessary to be certified to be a tech. I guess Im just lucky. :) But I will consider working on that after this summer semester is over. Is the certification process just like the PCAT where they only offer a few tests a year?

I dont think having your cert. will make any difference at all. The experience is what counts, even if its voluntary. You have been working in pharmacy, your job does not require the cert. so why give away $120? Use it on your pharm school apps :thumbup: Just my 2cents!

Seriously, no pharmacy experience is required, but any helps. But to your job, get your employer to pay for it (Osco is on the PTCB website as one that does pay). Also, afterwards, make sure they give you an increase, because if they dont, you can find jobs in hospitals, clinics, or other retail pharmacies that pay more.

I agree with others because there's just soooo many people getting into pharmacy school with zilch experience. I'm saying that certification just merely entitles you to more $$, because I know that most pharmacies wont hired techs unless they are certified, so when you do become certified, you should get more $$.