Is it really so hard for IMGs? Which programs should we aim for?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by demspawn, Apr 19, 2004.

1. demspawn

demspawn Pissed FMG
    7+ Year Member

I am an IMG from Greece.
    I knew that ophto was competitive to begin with, and that is why I was aiming for above 90 on my step 1. I got 94 (232) which did not make me party but I was fairly satisfied to the point of jumping since I had heard awful things from previous testtakers especially form my country (very different way of doing medicine, since schools do not prepare you for an exam but rather give you a broad perspective and then you get the real medical training in residency which lasts on average an extra year or 2).
    Now I see posts about 250... I was not completely satisfied when I left the test center but I thoght 232 was fairly good....
    I do not know anymore. Ophtho is the only way for me, but it now seems more distant.
    I am finding other way to encrich my CV (research in canada in glaucoma, lots of LOR from Greek and Canadian docs, graduated 1st in class of 2003 in my school, did 1 month rotation in ophtho and ENT at MEEI during senoir year)
    but possibilities seem bleak now.
    10% of matchers are IMG, although the stat I should look at is 30% of IMGs that tried matched, but stil I feel discouraged.

Any thoughts?
    plus which ophtho programs should we aim for. i guess that the top 20 are out of the questions so where to apply so that we have a shot??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Keep in mind that the average board scores of the people who matched in ophtho this year was 228. So when you hear about people with 250 applying, don't get discouraged and think that everyone has that score.

4. demspawn

demspawn Pissed FMG
    7+ Year Member

Thank you.

Can anyone please list programs that have taken IMGs or are also more of a realistic target for IMGs?
    BTW I am also an American citizen which may (or may not) make a difference.
    D.

5. thewildleo

thewildleo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

It would be great if we could get some info as to which programs are more likely to accept IMG's .
    Does having no visa problems help ?