Is it really true that. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really true that physics is the easiest of all the pre-med requirements? If so, thank goodnesss, since I just finished a year of orgo a couple of days ago -- getting an A, I might add! Orgo just wore me out, and I can't look at another benzene ring without feeling ill. Anyone know the feeling?

Members don't see this ad.

It's easy in that it's straightforward. You memorize equations and apply them to common, everyday problems, like lugging a 1000 lb brick up the side of a pyradmid. Or how much of a snowball melts if you throw it against a tree?

I know at my school (UCI) everybody thought it was easy. It was the only pre-med requirement that was on a straight scale.

it depends whether or not math is your strong point. i like physics/calculus so it was easy for me, but for someone who isnt into math it might not be so interesting. g'luck though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Julian,

Just finished my Orgo II final today! Friggin' benzene rings! And aldol condensation! And nucleophilic substitution! Curse you!

I thought Physics I was pretty easy. I had a lot more trouble with Physics II (magnetism, electric fields, optics, waves, light). The final we had in there today was a total bitch. He passed us back our last tests, and there were plenty of people with 14s, 20s, 40s, etc. I was happy with my 70. I hate, hate math. But if you like it/are good at it, you'll have no problem at all with Physics.

Personally, Orgo and Physics are so hard to compare. Orgo is it's own language. Physics is just...numbers. Congrats on your A. That must have been a bitch to get. (My prof only gives out 2).

:clap:

Personally,

O-Chem was my easiest premed requirement..totally made sense to me..

I DESPISED PHYSICS!!!!!! I HATED IT WITH A PASSION!!!!!! Same with PCHEM! YUCK!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by imtiaz:
•it depends whether or not math is your strong point. i like physics/calculus so it was easy for me, but for someone who isnt into math it might not be so interesting. g'luck though.•••••I don't know about that, Imtiaz... I might as well have put on a big pointy DUNCE hat in almost all of my straight math classes. But I was at the top of my class in physics. :) Turns out, all I really needed to do well in math was something to apply it to... and I especially loved the fact that I didn't have to mess around with those pesky numbers so much. Stupid numbers. :mad:

Perhaps it's just me. :confused:

Nanon

I HATE PHYSICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HATE PHYSICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AND IF I WASN'T CLEAR ENOUGH............ I HATE PHYSICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated that class more than any class I have taken in the last 4 years :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
•Personally,

O-Chem was my easiest premed requirement..totally made sense to me..

I DESPISED PHYSICS!!!!!! I HATED IT WITH A PASSION!!!!!! Same with PCHEM! YUCK!•••••I'm with Scoobs on this one...DOWN WITH PHYSICS!!! :mad:

i did engineering, so physics good.

in fact
i took 1 year of physics
1 sem of statics
1 sem of dynamics
1 sem of fluid mechanics
1 sem of mechanics of living tissue
1 sem of biomechanics

bring it on!!!

I agree, physics is the easiest (Got an A despite being very ill with mono throughout the entire 9 week summer intensive course). Biology is the most interesting. Down with Organic!!!!

gen chem was the easiest for me, but i'm probably alone in that! i think it's because it was the only science class my high school had remotely prepared me for. i was SO lost in all my intro bio courses, because i'd never even heard of the kreb's cycle, mitochondria, or the sodium potassium pump and all my classmates seemed to know them like the back of their hand before taking the courses.

i'm kinda paradoxical in the sense that i believe physics is the hardest of the sciences (over bio and chem)

but my highest grades were in physics.

I think it depends on your degree program. There is calculus based classical physics, and then there's "conceptual physics" that a lot of life science majors take. If you go with classical physics...that is a whole different world from the other in terms of difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took calculus-based physics and thought it was one of the easiest classes I took. I didn't go to class unless there was a test, didn't turn in the majority of my homework (since I wasn't in class), and wound up with A's. It doesn't get much better than that :wink:

I think in depends on where you take it, and whom you take it with. For instance, I took Physics I at the University of Buffalo and pulled an easy A. I Took Physics II at UF with the infamous Ipser and Buchler and got the only B of my college career, thus far. I'm not saying that UF is any harder than Buffalo. My professor at UB taught the concepts well, and his test seemed more straightforward. At UF, only the easiest of examples were introduced in lecture, but the tests contained difficult abstract approaches to the material covered in class. Man, this thread is bringing back bad memories. :( BTW, for those of you who have already taking the MCAT, how was the Physics?

from someone who barely go through O-chem (II atleast) alive....yeah, Physics is DEFINETLY easier. Physics really is just about doing a lot of practice pribs so that you can see the questions in terms of info given and info you need to find, and then finding the equations that help you do that.
In fact, I would venture to say that, compared to O-chem...I LOVE PHYSICS! Only in comparison to O-chem.
Hey, It's all about relativity baby (hee, hee) :p :wink: :p

If you're the type who likes General Chemistry, you'll probably like Physics. Personally, I'd take Organic over both of those classes.

Well I liked math and g-chem a lot, but I really hated physics. But I think that's mostly because I had the same professor for 3 quarters of it, and he is notoriously the hardest physics prof at our school. For me personally physics was the hardest requirement. But I'm sure depending on what combo of professors you get for the rest of your requirements, any course could be hard.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by JulianCrane:
•Is it really true that physics is the easiest of all the pre-med requirements? If so, thank goodnesss, since I just finished a year of orgo a couple of days ago -- getting an A, I might add! Orgo just wore me out, and I can't look at another benzene ring without feeling ill. Anyone know the feeling?•••••Wow, that's weird. Most of the premeds I knew put physics off until their junior years because they didn't want to deal with it. I did really well in physics, but I can totally see how it can be really difficult-- if things don't make complete sense, some of the tests can rip you apart.

Physics is the worst subject that I have ever had to take. I study, study, and study and barely get by. I HATE IT!!!!! :mad:

I'm studying for the 4th test right now and am ready to die. Then I get to study for organic, life is so great. Oh, then I get to study studying for thier finals. What a great week! :p

I got A's, but physics was boring as hell. My favorite pre-med class (by far) was ochem. I actually really liked it a lot. It just made a lot of sense to me.

Physics is definetly the most evil of all the pre-med requirement, but that could be because I am such a math ****** I wouldnt know a triangle if someone slapped me in the face with one. I LOVED O-Chem, so much in fact I took Advanced O-Chem at the grad level at my University, and got an A. P-Chem is evil also $#*&$ C I got in that class.

Julian, I agree with fiddler...calculus-based physics is on a different level than non-calculus physics. Since adcoms don't seem to have a preference, take your year of "conceptual physics for life science majors," get your A's, and be done with it. To do well in calc-based physics, you need a strong backround in math. Don't try to learn how use Fourier transforms or operational math on the fly, like I did. I suffered for it. And if your degree doesn't require it, avoid Physical Chemistry like the plague. Also takes a lot of math and effort to do well.

aloha

I got A's in Orgo and Physics. I thaught physics was awesome (not physics 2 so much though---yuck). i thaught orgo 1 was cool too (orgo 2 was more memorization, less conceptualization, which is boring, but it still made lots of sense). those classes kick ass, i really liked them. i liked my bio classes too for the most part (although for physiology my school only offered animal physiology, and i don't give a rats ass about frog or bird physiology). i got Cs in gen chem. but when i learned it for the mcat, i thought it was awesome too. you just have to learn to work with numbers and enjoy the application aspects (plug and chug problems are good for padding your exam scores, but they're boring, just like memorization is boring). something tells me i'm gonna hate medical school--->almost all mindless memorization. in fact, what medical specialties actually allow for much application and conceptual thinking?? it's all cookbook crap.

I'm with Scoobs. Physics sucks. Give me orgo and general chem any day, i think those two are easier. I took calc-based physics which I was fine with for kinematics and stuff, but E&M crap with Gauss's Law and the Maxwell equations and all was like WTF???. And it didn't help that I took 2nd sem. physics senior year, about 5 years since I had any calculus.

I wouldn't say physics has been tough, rather it is the most unpredictable. I can study for a week doing practice problems, understanding concepts, etc. and pull a 92 on a test; or I can study one day just memorizing equations and get a 90. My apptitude lies with the biological sciences. I just finished up O-chem II, and though I thought I'd never say this, give me O-chem or (Bio classes)anyday over physics or math. Bio is memorization and regurgitation on test day, O-chem is memorization and application on test day, and physics is memorization of equations and crap-shoot on test day! Just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

I am planning on taking calculus-based physics. That's the only thing that my school offers. I did take non-calc and calc-based physics in high school, and the calc-based made much more sense. I'm just scared about physics because I had an incompetent teacher in high school who had to give the class a huge curve just so the entire class would not receive Fs. It was miserable.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rpames:
•Physics is the worst subject that I have ever had to take. I study, study, and study and barely get by. I HATE IT!!!!! :mad:

I'm studying for the 4th test right now and am ready to die. Then I get to study for organic, life is so great. Oh, then I get to study studying for thier finals. What a great week! :p •••••Calculus-based physics is different than non-calc-based physics, but once you understand the concepts, it's not that much harder.

Physics is one of those classes where studying doesn't get you good grades. You really do have to think and UNDERSTAND (unlike some bio classes) the main ideas to do well. Ochem is similar in that it's not all memorization, either. I think that's why so many premeds struggle with classes like these.

Yeah, that was my problem with Physics II. I felt like I studied for it, did all the practice problems and STILL felt totally unprepared during the tests. As a matter of fact, during the final I took yesterday, I started getting an anxiety attack as I was flipping through the 10 10-point problems and thinking "I just simply don't know how to find the amplitude of the electomagnetic wave at X value". You can't bull**** your way though it, unlike Bio or O-Chem to some degree.

I hated physics and g-chem (especially g-chem II, shudder) I loved Bio (especially human phys. Hated the friggin' "Organismal Biology" class we were forced to take: taxonomy, population genetics, Hardy Weinberg crap, Phylums, kingdoms, and all the other categories. Someone should have shot me to put me out of my misery). I liked Orgo II a hell of a lot more than Orgo I. Orgo II just seemed to make a lot more sense.

Relatively speaking.
:wink:

Orgo is one big pain, and physics is definitely much more relaxing and less demanding. The problem is, most physics professors are WEIRDOS.