1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it really worth it to take "Practice Test 3" before you start to study?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Lacipart, May 13, 2007.

1. Lacipart

Lacipart M1 at UW-Madison
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know, seems kinda like a waste of a practice test. You guys sure it's recommended before you begin studying anything?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A lot of people like to use it as a diagnostic - to get an idea of where they are starting and to see how much they need to improve. It's popular as a diagnostic because it is free.

If you don't mind not having a baseline score, then by all means study before you take any practice tests. It will just give you one extra test to take for real practice.

4. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i personally never took an exam before studying anything. its basically taking an exam u know ur gonna fail because u never studied for. i put in about a months worth of work, then took cbt 3 to see if i need to study more or less each day. turns out im right on track for right now. i agree with u, i think its a waste of an exam, especially because there really arent that many aamcs to practice with. if u really want to do a diagnostic, then do a TPR exam or kaplan FL.

5. CATallergy

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I dont see what's wrong with it. To me, it seemed comparable to others like 8, 9, 10.

no idea why it is always beat up on sdn

6. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    It's free, that's why.

I think taking a practice test first is a good idea if you have a strong science background (e.g. bio/chem/physics major). I personally had little science background and had to review/learn EVERYTHING. However, the tests, 3R included, break down all your mistakes for you, so you know that if you had like 7 mistakes in the bio section and 6 of them were in physiology and cell bio, these are your only majorly weak areas. In that case you can read through everything once, but read through these sections 3x, for example.

7. vicinihil

vicinihil Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well 3R is older so the content may not reflect exactly what's on there now.. Also since we'll hopefully all be med students soon (and most of us poor ones) free things will soon be high up on the list of god's gifts!

8. DiscoDoc

DiscoDoc Till I Collapse
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hell, most of us are students right now and free things are already high up on the list (ie. kitchen napkins courtesy of Burger King) :laugh:

9. Crickett

Pre-Medical
    Hah only kitchen napkins? We use ketchup and mayo from BK too :laugh: