Is it rude to withdraw an acceptance before receiving financial aid information?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevindurant35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about withdrawing from a few schools before receiving financial aid information. Is that ok or would schools consider it rude?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ruder to hold onto an acceptance when you've already decided you won't be matriculating (and even then.. it's not that rude at this point in the application season).

Just send them a 3 sentence email, thanking them for their consideration and move on.

Reactions: 7 users
rmxMk.gif

Reactions: 1 users
I have always wondered: what's the reason behind withdrawing acceptances this early?

Shouldn't one try to accumulate as many acceptances as possible and then use your acceptances to multiple schools to try to get schools to give you (more) scholarship?

I have always wondered: what's the reason behind withdrawing acceptances this early?

Shouldn't one try to accumulate as many acceptances as possible and then use your acceptances to multiple schools to try to get schools to give you (more) scholarship?

There is a level of hell reserved for these people.

The reason one withdraws after acceptance is because they know there are others who were just as hungry as they were to go to medical school, and they don't want to cause their peers more suffering by having them wait until May 20 to hear that they've been accepted.

Please, people, if you know that you're not going to a school at which you've been accepted, just withdraw.

Plus, I highly doubt schools are smashing their piggy banks to find you more money so you will come to their school. Ask and you will receive what they have to offer you.

Reactions: 10 users

Well I'm fortunate that one of my top choices offered me a full tuition scholarship. Besides that, the schools that I still hold acceptances at are on a completely different tier than the schools that I am declining acceptances at. I don't believe holding an acceptance at these "lower" tier schools will benefit me of getting scholarships from these higher tier schools. Plus I have a couple acceptances at "higher" tier schools, which I am still holding to see which one will give me the best financial opportunity. I figured if I wasn't going to go to any of the "lower" tier schools due to already receiving a great offer from a "higher" tier school, I would give up my spots so that other applicants can have those seats and see financial aid information/second look/etc.

Reactions: 1 user

The reason one withdraws after acceptance is because they know there are others who were just as hungry as they were to go to medical school, and they don't want to cause their peers more suffering by having them wait until May 20 to hear that they've been accepted.

Please, people, if you know that you're not going to a school at which you've been accepted, just withdraw.

Plus, I highly doubt schools are smashing their piggy banks to find you more money so you will come to their school. Ask and you will receive what they have to offer you.

I think you are being too harsh. While there are some circumstances in which I can understand someone withdrawing (like what KD posted below: getting into a top choice and getting tons of money already so holding onto acceptance from low-tier schools might be of limited utility), I think in most cases people should simply hold onto their acceptances.

At the end of the day, who is going to be in debt for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars? That's you. So I think being "selfish" here is warranted (although I wouldn't even use the world "selfish" - more like smart)

Here's an example. Let's say someone's last choice school for some reason is Hopkins. His first choice is UChicago and his middle choice is Northwestern. This applicant gets into both Hopkins and Northwestern in November and then a few months later, gets into UChicago.

Once this applicant gets into Northwestern, should he immediately withdraw from Hopkins? IMO, no. Just because he has no intention of ever going to Hopkins now that he gotten into his second choice (NW) does not mean that he shouldn't hold onto this Hopkins acceptance to use as a bargaining chip for merit aid if he gets into UChicago (which in my scenario he does).

Potential for Gain: Tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars of merit aid from UChicago.
Potential Losses: Making some other people wait a little longer.

Being courteous to others is great and all but when it comes down to such large amounts of potential money, sorry I think you need to think of yourself first.

Well I'm fortunate that one of my top choices offered me a full tuition scholarship. Besides that, the schools that I still hold acceptances at are on a completely different tier than the schools that I am declining acceptances at. I don't believe holding an acceptance at these "lower" tier schools will benefit me of getting scholarships from these higher tier schools. Plus I have a couple acceptances at "higher" tier schools, which I am still holding to see which one will give me the best financial opportunity. I figured if I wasn't going to go to any of the "lower" tier schools due to already receiving a great offer from a "higher" tier school, I would give up my spots so that other applicants can have those seats and see financial aid information/second look/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are being too harsh. While there are some circumstances in which I can understand someone withdrawing (like what KD posted below: getting into a top choice and getting tons of money already so holding onto acceptance from low-tier schools might be of limited utility), I think in most cases people should simply hold onto their acceptances.

At the end of the day, who is going to be in debt for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars? That's you. So I think being "selfish" here is warranted (although I wouldn't even use the world "selfish" - more like smart)

Here's an example. Let's say someone's last choice school for some reason is Hopkins. His first choice is UChicago and his middle choice is Northwestern. This applicant gets into both Hopkins and Northwestern in November and then a few months later, gets into UChicago.

Once this applicant gets into Northwestern, should he immediately withdraw from Hopkins? IMO, no. Just because he has no intention of ever going to Hopkins now that he gotten into his second choice (NW) does not mean that he shouldn't hold onto this Hopkins acceptance to use as a bargaining chip for merit aid if he gets into UChicago (which in my scenario he does).

Potential for Gain: Tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars of merit aid from UChicago.
Potential Losses: Making some other people wait a little longer.

Being courteous to others is great and all but when it comes down to such large amounts of potential money, sorry I think you need to think of yourself first.

Schools don't know where else you got into. Sure, you can tell them.. but I think you can figure out the problem there. You've also overrating how much it could be used as a bargaining chip...

I don't agree that applicants must give up acceptances they don't intend to pursue this early.. but pre-med advisers at my undergrad at least advised us that it was courteous to do so before the May deadline. They told us we shouldn't really have a reason to hold more than 2 acceptances, especially when financial aid details are released.

Reactions: 3 users

Would absolutely be courteous/professional and probably well appreciated by your fellow applicants.

If one of your top choices offered you a full tuition scholarship, there's really no need/reason to hold onto more than another acceptance or two.

Schools don't know where else you got into. Sure, you can tell them.. but I think you can figure out the problem there. You've also overrating how much it could be used as a bargaining chip...

I don't agree that applicants must give up acceptances they don't intend to pursue this early.. but pre-med advisers at my undergrad at least advised us that it was courteous to do so before the May deadline. They told us we shouldn't really have a reason to hold more than 2 acceptances, especially when financial aid details are released.

Actually I don't see a problem with telling a school like UChicago that you also got into Hopkins and are deciding between the two. It is my understanding that because merit aid is limited, UChicago might give more aid to attract a student away from somewhere like Hopkins (vs. a student who got into UChicago and no other top 20 schools). And it's not like if you tell UChicago that you are also considering Hopkins (so gently telling them that you also got into Hopkins) that UChicago is going to take back the acceptance offer. Once you get accepted into multiple places, you finally have some leverage.

Yes, the actual $$$ different might not always be huge but even small amounts of money would be worth it.

Actually I don't see a problem with telling a school like UChicago that you also got into Hopkins and are deciding between the two. It is my understanding that because merit aid is limited, UChicago might give more aid to attract a student away from somewhere like Hopkins (vs. a student who got into UChicago and no other top 20 schools). And it's not like if you tell UChicago that you are also considering Hopkins (so gently telling them that you also got into Hopkins) that UChicago is going to take back the acceptance offer. Once you get accepted into multiple places, you finally have some leverage.

Yes, the actual $$$ different might not always be huge but even small amounts of money would be worth it.

You completely missed all of the points in my post.

And again, you are vastly overrating how much it could be used as a bargaining chip.

Sorry if this seems like a bad question but how do you "ask"? I would feel weird doing that.

Tell a school you're excited to matriculate but have financial factors holding you back since other opportunities have presented themselves. There's really not much need or use to name-dropping other schools.

Schools aren't just going to throw money at you because

You can name drop, especially if it's a peer institution, or a prestigious institution known for giving out merit based aid (e.g. vanderbilt, chicago, mayo, cleveland clinic).

"I'm so excited about the possibility of attending XXX school, it's always been my dream. I'm very concerned however about the student loan burden. I recently received an 80% scholarship offer from University of Chicago and that is making my decision very difficult. Do you know if there are any other aid options here at XXX that I can possibly be considered for?"

Schools care about their yield, and deans in particular like to beat out their aspirational peers for coveted applicants. But it's not going to be effective unless you already have a strong card to play.

Maybe an adcom could chime in, but just from personal experience, you can definitely leverage both merit scholarships and financial aid packages against each other (from peer institutions). When I applied, I contacted the school I am currently at and worded it almost exactly like that. They asked me to e-mail my current offer so they could make adjustments, and they matched it exactly within a few days (went from nothing to 50% scholarship).

You completely missed all of the points in my post.

And again, you are vastly overrating how much it could be used as a bargaining chip.

I agree with you. It is a seller's market. I hope the people holding out to pit top 10-15 programs against each other at least have LizzyM scores in the very high 70s to 80s.

Maybe an adcom could chime in, but just from personal experience, you can definitely leverage both merit scholarships and financial aid packages against each other (from peer institutions). When I applied, I contacted the school I am currently at and worded it almost exactly like that. They asked me to e-mail my current offer so they could make adjustments, and they matched it exactly within a few days (went from nothing to 50% scholarship).

Interesting. I would love to hear an adcom's perspective on this as well.

There have been many stories like yours on SDN over the years. But the key to successfully doing this is (a) you already had a merit offer in hand from one school and (b) it was a relatively peer institution.

And these efforts definitely aren't always successful. But it is at least worth trying if you are in the position to do so.
What if the applicant has multiple acceptances but has a lower LizzyM than the school's average? Is it then one of those "be happy with what you have/you're lucky you even got in" scenarios?

I really don't mean to overstate this. I think very, very few applicants are in a position where cold-calling the med school and asking for money is going to be effective. I don't want to start propagating this idea on SDN that every accepted student should attempt this. It's rare for an applicant to have this much bargaining power in the process.
I completely agree.

what? youre out of your mind. maybe holding multiple acceptances might help your chances in receiving aid by 0.0002%, but thats better than the 0% without multiple acceptances. And I think many of us who have worked our butts off to get one, let alone, two or more acceptances deserve all the right to be selfish.

its so funny how the same gunning pre-meds who wont even share a o-chem notes want you to be 'considerate' of others when it comes to making a decision that will affect the rest of your life.

Another thing, I know nobody wants to ever bring this up, but as a URM, holding multiple acceptances can be a large bargaining tool. I personally had a school email me asking me to apply, waive the fees, and told me to call one of the deans when I finished my application (I finished my app 3 days before their secondary deadline). My application was moved to the front of the line and I interviewed the following week. Best believe that I will be bargaining with that school if they want me that bad... it may work, it may not.. no loss on my part. Ive already made all the sacrifices so I can be in a position to 'try my luck'

i know this post is about to get people livid, but i dont care. The same pre-meds that have been so conniving towards their peers throughout undergrad, want ppl to be 'considerate'

Using acceptances at schools you have decided not to attend as a bargaining tool for obtaining more financial aid is a slippery slope and a trend that is bad for the financial aid process.

It’s quite easy to imagine this situation:
Me: “[School I won’t attend] offered me 20K, can you offer me some money?”
School I will attend: “Okay, here’s some money”

Me: “[School I will attend] gave me money, can you make me a better offer?”
School I won’t attend: okay, here is another 10K

Me: “[School I won’t attend] increased their offer”
School I will attend: “Okay we’ll give you 5K more”

Others may disagree, but to me, presenting schools with a sham predicament to entice them into giving you money is not right. Additionally, the possibility of every med student dangling their matriculation at schools they will not attend is a headache waiting to happen.

If you are legitimately interested in both schools, then I do think people should try to make medical school as affordable as possible. But in situations in which you know you will not attend a school, withdrawing your application as soon as possible is the only ethical route.

what? youre out of your mind. maybe holding multiple acceptances might help your chances in receiving aid by 0.0002%, but thats better than the 0% without multiple acceptances. And I think many of us who have worked our butts off to get one, let alone, two or more acceptances deserve all the right to be selfish.

its so funny how the same gunning pre-meds who wont even share a o-chem notes want you to be 'considerate' of others when it comes to making a decision that will affect the rest of your life.

Another thing, I know nobody wants to ever bring this up, but as a URM, holding multiple acceptances can be a large bargaining tool. I personally had a school email me asking me to apply, waive the fees, and told me to call one of the deans when I finished my application (I finished my app 3 days before their secondary deadline). My application was moved to the front of the line and I interviewed the following week. Best believe that I will be bargaining with that school if they want me that bad... it may work, it may not.. no loss on my part. Ive already made all the sacrifices so I can be in a position to 'try my luck'

i know this post is about to get people livid, but i dont care. The same pre-meds that have been so conniving towards their peers throughout undergrad, want ppl to be 'considerate'

I think in my case I just applied to too many schools, and I don't think holding 9 acceptances would be better than holding 6 acceptances with regards to receiving financial aid. However, I'm still in the application process so what do I know.

I think holding more than 3 acceptances makes you a bit of a dick. If you're still deciding between a few schools, keep those. Go to second look, and wait and see what they offer you for financial aid. If you absolutely would not consider attending a certain school in light of your acceptance to a far better one, then release it.

Using acceptances at schools you have decided not to attend as a bargaining tool for obtaining more financial aid is a slippery slope and a trend that is bad for the financial aid process.

It’s quite easy to imagine this situation:
Me: “[School I won’t attend] offered me 20K, can you offer me some money?”
School I will attend: “Okay, here’s some money”

Me: “[School I will attend] gave me money, can you make me a better offer?”
School I won’t attend: okay, here is another 10K

Me: “[School I won’t attend] increased their offer”
School I will attend: “Okay we’ll give you 5K more”

Others may disagree, but to me, presenting schools with a sham predicament to entice them into giving you money is not right. Additionally, the possibility of every med student dangling their matriculation at schools they will not attend is a headache waiting to happen.

If you are legitimately interested in both schools, then I do think people should try to make medical school as affordable as possible. But in situations in which you know you will not attend a school, withdrawing your application as soon as possible is the only ethical route.

You know those types of similar conversations (maybe not explicitly like that, but implicitly) happen all the time when people are deciding which job to take in many realms. It is what helps set the going market salary for many jobs...

And I never would fault anyone for getting their money (or in this case, decreasing the costs). Many people have urgent concerns (e.g., loans, take care of family, etc.) and at the end of the day, YOU (not the school or employer or whomever) is responsible for paying the bills.

You know those types of similar conversations (maybe not explicitly like that, but implicitly) happen all the time when people are deciding which job to take in many realms. It is what helps set the going market salary for many jobs...
Yes, people do unethical things quite often.

EDIT: it's not clear if, in your example, the person is telling possible employers about a predicament that doesn't exist

Last edited:
A family friend leveraged a CCLCM acceptance to get a full ride at Hopkins.

Yes, people do unethical things quite often.

EDIT: it's not clear if, in your example, the person is telling possible employers about a predicament that doesn't exist

When did I say anything about lying? I'm not advocating pretending to have acceptances at other places. I'm advocating leveraging acceptances you actually have.

So you going to tell me it's unethical if a person tries to get people to bid up on their "value"?

This is seen perhaps most clearly in the NFL/NBA/MLB. Players compare contract offers and get them to bid up.

Similar things happen in the real world. It's not unethical - it's economics 101.

Personally, everyone has worked hard for an acceptance. If someone owns 9 acceptances, they have earned each one rightfully so. This is one point in the process where we have some control and leverage and are not at the mercy of medical schools. I can understand how students yearning for that one acceptance can be bitter; however, I think at the end of the day every acceptance is earned. I do not think it is being inconsiderate, it is being smart. OP's situation is unique because he/she received a full-ride from a top choice, so it would make sense to withdraw from "lower" tier schools that do not offer any leverage opportunities (but hell, who knows, what if a close family member falls ill and this student has to forgo the acceptance to Harvard to attend Eastern Tennessee). I know someone who received a full-ride from a low tier state school and leveraged it to receive a scholarship to a top 10 school so it is all relative.

It is the nature of the game, we have all worked hard and the worst case scenario is that a borderline applicant may have to wait until May instead of April.

@maccu5000 your point is valid, but there are not many applicants in a position to leverage in the manner you described. Maybe less than 1% of applicants are so competitive/sought after that they can leverage in this manner (genuinely good individuals with unique traits/experiences with stellar stats). In my opinion, more power to them, they deserve it.

Many are not understanding my argument. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The ethics of it has nothing to do with anyone other than the person who owns the acceptance. Though it is considerate to other applicants to withdraw, it isn't the heart of what I'm trying to say.

This is a hyperbole, but let's say you have a full scholarship to St. George and no scholarship to Northwestern. You have no intention of going to St. George's even if Northwestern doesn't give you any money. Is it ethical to use your full scholarship at St. George's to get money from Northwestern?

The question is not, "will Northwestern give me money if I tell them that St. George's offered me a full ride"
The situation is not analogous to people who are legitimately open to going somewhere if financials change in a reasonably (even significantly).
This has nothing to do with how competitive pre-meds are or how you think you've been screwed by other people's behaviors so now is your opportunity for good karma and save a butt load of money.

The problem is that by saying "St. George's gave me money. What can you do for me?" you are communicating, either implicitly or explicitly, that you are making a legitimate choice between two options, even if that choice is leaning one way. In fact, you are not. That is what I mean by presenting a "sham predicament."

I hope I'm not the only one who sees a problem with this.

I think holding more than 3 acceptances makes you a bit of a dick. If you're still deciding between a few schools, keep those. Go to second look, and wait and see what they offer you for financial aid. If you absolutely would not consider attending a certain school in light of your acceptance to a far better one, then release it.

I guess I'm a bit of a dick then for holding 6 lol. I had an equally enjoyable experience at all the 6 schools I still hold, they are all top tier schools and I could see myself attending any of them. Financial aid is the only way for me to determine which one to attend.

Many are not understanding my argument. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The ethics of it has nothing to do with anyone other than the person who owns the acceptance. Though it is considerate to other applicants to withdraw, it isn't the heart of what I'm trying to say.

This is a hyperbole, but let's say you have a full scholarship to St. George and no scholarship to Northwestern. You have no intention of going to St. George's even if Northwestern doesn't give you any money. Is it ethical to use your full scholarship at St. George's to get money from Northwestern?

The question is not, "will Northwestern give me money if I tell them that St. George's offered me a full ride"
The situation is not analogous to people who are legitimately open to going somewhere if financials change in a reasonably (even significantly).
This has nothing to do with how competitive pre-meds are or how you think you've been screwed by other people's behaviors so now is your opportunity for good karma and save a butt load of money.

The problem is that by saying "St. George's gave me money. What can you do for me?" you are communicating, either implicitly or explicitly, that you are making a legitimate choice between two options, even if that choice is leaning one way. In fact, you are not. That is what I mean by presenting a "sham predicament."

so.....

if you interviewed at your absolute last choice med school before you had any acceptances and they asked you 'Are we your top choice?' what will you say? 'No, the only way I would go to your school is if all the other schools I was slightly competitive at rejected me or burned to pieces'..?

No, you wouldnt say that.. you would say what you had to say to benefit your situation. cut the ethical crap

So you are saying that it is unethical for a person to leverage their options unless they are legitimately considering both options? I completely disagree.

Let's look at this in a sports context.

Let's say a NFL free agent wishes to play for the Detroit Lions because he has family in Detroit, grew up there, etc. However, this player also is drawing interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers but he hates the idea of living in Pittsburgh (and would never go there). Internally, this player know that he prefers Detroit and would like to play for the Lions.

However, the NFL free agent might use the Pittsburgh Steelers contract offer to get Detroit to increase their offer - EVEN THOUGH this player internally has no interest in playing for the Steelers.

Under your logic, would you consider this NFL player "unethical" for communicating externally that he is "considering" both teams when internally, he only is interested in playing for the Detroit Lions?

If this player externally disclosed that he was only interested in playing for Detroit, he would lose all leverage with Detroit. It is precisely because he is attracting interest from another team that he is able to get Detroit to perhaps pay him more (even though in reality he is not "legitimately considering" the other team at all).

The phrasing of your question suggests that it is a legitimate option so I don't think I can answer it with a clean yes or no.

But concerning your example, I do think lying is wrong.

About to go dark for the day and can write more later.

This doesn't work for 99.9 percent of you. I don't want you bad enough when I can just accept the person next on the list who looks pretty much just like you and is willing to come pay full tuition. If you were the first to be accepted at a school and got a personal call from the dean, then you may be more heavily recruited and this may work.

The phrasing of your question suggests that it is a legitimate option so I don't think I can answer it with a clean yes or no.

But concerning your example, I do think lying is wrong.

About to go dark for the day and can write more later.

Let me make it more clear. The NFL player would NEVER EVER go to Pittsburgh but he can't say so explicitly otherwise he will lose leverage.

You are basically saying that in any type of negotiation, you have to disclose all your information/preferences immediately and cannot at least pretend to be interested in other things. That is just illogical.

Let's bring it back to the med school context.

Let us say you interview at 20 schools. All 10 ask you "Is this your first choice school"? So you're going to tell me that you will answer that honestly (e.g., "actually, you are my 10th choice school! Congrats on making my top 10!"). No. You have to PRETEND to be extremely interested in all the schools...

This doesn't work for 99.9 percent of you. I don't want you bad enough when I can just accept the person next on the list who looks pretty much just like you and is willing to come pay full tuition. If you were the first to be accepted at a school and got a personal call from the dean, then you may be more heavily recruited and this may work.

Except that once you accept the person, you don't "unaccept" them just because they want to negotiate scholarship...

Except that once you accept the person, you don't "unaccept" them just because they want to negotiate scholarship...

Correct, but they would have just told me they are getting so much more money at that other school. Why would they pay more? Unless I'm an Ivy, 9 times out of 10 they'll probably just go to the other school. State tuition being an exception.

Correct, but they would have just told me they are getting so much more money at that other school. Why would they pay more? Unless I'm an Ivy, 9 times out of 10 they'll probably just go to the other school. State tuition being an exception.

You are right - there is no guarantee that they will give you more. In fact, it may be unlikely (<10% chance).

However, if you withdraw, then your chance becomes 0.00%.
-----------

Another thing someone else mentioned is not necessarily financial reasons, but just having more options in the face of uncertainty.

Let's say you get into a school in NYC. You dislike NYC and consider withdrawing immediately. However, when May comes around, there might be some urgent reason for why you need to stay in NYC (e.g., maybe your spouse suddenly got a job in NYC between the time you got into the NYC school and May). But if you withdrew as soon as you got the offer, you lost that option already.

You'll fit in just fine at John's Hopkins/Whatever Ivy. Step on all them toes!

A family friend leveraged a CCLCM acceptance to get a full ride at Hopkins.

I thought Hopkins only did need based scholarships. Does the fact that you have another "peer" acceptance suddenly qualify your for these need based scholarships? I'm just curious

I thought Hopkins only did need based scholarships. Does the fact that you have another "peer" acceptance suddenly qualify your for these need based scholarships? I'm just curious
I don't know the details. She did have significant need though. And this was a few years back.

Let me make it more clear. The NFL player would NEVER EVER go to Pittsburgh but he can't say so explicitly otherwise he will lose leverage.

You are basically saying that in any type of negotiation, you have to disclose all your information/preferences immediately and cannot at least pretend to be interested in other things. That is just illogical.

Let's bring it back to the med school context.

Let us say you interview at 20 schools. All 10 ask you "Is this your first choice school"? So you're going to tell me that you will answer that honestly (e.g., "actually, you are my 10th choice school! Congrats on making my top 10!"). No. You have to PRETEND to be extremely interested in all the schools...

No, I'm not saying that you have to disclose all your information. I agree that's illogical. I'm saying you should not present a problem that does not exist. The NFL player could say "I'm considering my options" (which is true--he does not have to play if he doesn't get paid enough) and "I expect to get paid what I'm worth."

If a med school asked me if it's my first choice school and it is not, I would say, in effect, that I would be honored to attend that school and discuss a few key reasons why I'm excited about the possibility of studying there. When I was applying for college, an admissions counselor at a school I was applying to asked me where they fall in my preference of schools. They were, in fact, probably last on my list if I had to rank them, but I gave them a similar answer because I only applied to schools I would have been happy to attend.

If nothing else, I think this thread is showing that financial decisions are negotiations are never easy.