Is it safe to make this assumption about harmonics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janus_Kinase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That period increase as harmonics (I actually don't have a tangible idea of a what harmonic is) increase
  • 1st harmonic period > 2nd harmonic period >3rd harmonic period > and so on
This would mean that frequencies are inversely related to increasing harmonics
  • 1st harmonic frequency < 2nd harmonic frequency < 3rd harmonic frequency < and so on

So can I always assume this relationship of increasing harmonics being directly related to period and inversely related to frequency?

Members don't see this ad.

A harmonic is just a series of related frequencies that an object can produce on it's characteristics.

If the first harmonic of something has a frequency of f, each increasing harmonic is a frequency of nf - with n=1,2,3... or n=1,3,5... depending on the object.

So yes, each increasing harmonic has a greater frequency and a shorter period.

Reactions: 1 user
A harmonic is just a series of related frequencies that an object can produce on it's characteristics.

If the first harmonic of something has a frequency of f, each increasing harmonic is a frequency of nf - with n=1,2,3... or n=1,3,5... depending on the object.

So yes, each increasing harmonic has a greater frequency and a shorter period.
Awesome that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks. Relating to this topic. Whats the difference between harmonic frequency and resonating frequencies? Are they related?

I feel like I read over, and over about this topic but I cant seem to grasp it.

Awesome that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks. Relating to this topic. Whats the difference between harmonic frequency and resonating frequencies? Are they related?

I feel like I read over, and over about this topic but I cant seem to grasp it.
I think resonant frequency is when the displacement of wave is maximal where as harmonics are simply integer displacements of a standing wave that are not necessarily maximal.

Reactions: 1 user
A harmonic is just a described, it is an integer multiple of the fundamental frequency, which is the lowest frequency possible other than zero for the system.

A resonance frequency is a frequency at which an object prefers to vibrate based on it's physical parameters.

So each harmonic is a resonance frequency of the object, and the fundamental frequency is the lowest resonant frequency.

That's how I think about it.

Reactions: 1 users