Is it safe to take the test outside of US? (in Canada)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys have heard horrid about US med students taking it in Canada or something and finding the test to be harder?

I have the opinion to take it in my parent's city in Canada (just 4 hr drive from my school), which could be a nice thing because I would be well fed and rested the week before the test.

I told my roommate about this and she was like, "what if the states is trying weed out Canadian grads?"

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter where you take it. If it's in North America, it should be the same price (there is a price increase I think when you take the USMLE overseas). No one will know where you take it.

So take it wherever you want and wherever will allow you to maximize your performance! Good luck!

i heard you can be shot, mugged, and silenced just for taking the step 1 in canada...

Members don't see this ad :)
we must have mutual friends, because i heard that from a friend of a friend also

Just wondering if you guys have heard horrid about US med students taking it in Canada or something and finding the test to be harder?

I told my roommate about this and she was like, "what if the states is trying weed out Canadian grads?"

i heard you can be shot, mugged, and silenced just for taking the step 1 in canada...

Yes I have heard horrid accounts of US med students taking the USMLE in 3rd world Canadia. The test isn't "harder" but they make it more difficult by using subtle tactics. One student reported that the noise canceling headphones would intermittently play the national anthem of Canada but it would start out soft and get increasingly louder and louder inducing paranoia and causing you to lose focus on the exam. Another student reported that they have actors in the lounge who would engage you in conversation and sing praises about how easy the exam is but they're still afraid they won't break 260 and may have to settle with 255.

Yes I have heard horrid accounts of US med students taking the USMLE in 3rd world Canadia. The test isn't "harder" but they make it more difficult by using subtle tactics. One student reported that the noise canceling headphones would intermittently play the national anthem of Canada but it would start out soft and get increasingly louder and louder inducing paranoia and causing you to lose focus on the exam. Another student reported that they have actors in the lounge who would engage you in conversation and sing praises about how easy the exam is but they're still afraid they won't break 260 and may have to settle with 255.

It was all the distractions from the polar bears in the igloo testing center that led to me failing. Also, I was late to the exam because my dogsled wouldn't start (one of the huskies was drunk).