Is it still possible to switch specialties after you've been in practice for 5+ years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJM9

I like turtles.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched through prior posts, can't seem to pin down a complete answer on this. I understand the financial implications on my end, as well as on the program end in funding a spot for someone who has already completed a residency. This is about happiness, and yes I'm that idealistic.

Considering a switch from a non-clinical specialty to family medicine (if it's even possible) after my current contract is up. Certain circumstances (financial, which I would happily explain to a PD) forced my hand in choosing my current specialty. I truly enjoyed primary care, and was solid in IM and FM clinical rotations in med school. To quote one of my letter writers for residency, an intensivist, my going into the specialty I chose was a "complete f****** waste." I still disagree, all specialties are important, but I would've been happier in primary care from the get go.

My first hurdle, in looking through residency program websites, is that most places now have hard criteria for having graduated medical school no more than 2 years ago. Does this mean I would have to do a transitional year (or should I anyhow), or would I still be hosed? Is this an unbending rule (for those of you in faculty/administration)?

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched through prior posts, can't seem to pin down a complete answer on this. I understand the financial implications on my end, as well as on the program end in funding a spot for someone who has already completed a residency. This is about happiness, and yes I'm that idealistic.

Considering a switch from a non-clinical specialty to family medicine (if it's even possible) after my current contract is up. Certain circumstances (financial, which I would happily explain to a PD) forced my hand in choosing my current specialty. I truly enjoyed primary care, and was solid in IM and FM clinical rotations in med school. To quote one of my letter writers for residency, an intensivist, my going into the specialty I chose was a "complete f****** waste." I still disagree, all specialties are important, but I would've been happier in primary care from the get go.

My first hurdle, in looking through residency program websites, is that most places now have hard criteria for having graduated medical school no more than 2 years ago. Does this mean I would have to do a transitional year (or should I anyhow), or would I still be hosed? Is this an unbending rule (for those of you in faculty/administration)?

Cheers

I'm not sure if the "2 years out from graduation" applies to you. You were still practicing medicine, although not in a clinical specialty. I think that that rule is mostly for people who graduated but didn't match, and then spend 5 years futzing in a lab or something.

Is there a family medicine program nearby that you can contact? And are you sure that you want to go back to primary care? You'll have to have a pretty compelling story...

I'm not sure if the "2 years out from graduation" applies to you. You were still practicing medicine, although not in a clinical specialty. I think that that rule is mostly for people who graduated but didn't match, and then spend 5 years futzing in a lab or something.

Is there a family medicine program nearby that you can contact? And are you sure that you want to go back to primary care? You'll have to have a pretty compelling story...

First, thank you so much for the prompt reply. That's a relief.

Second, there is not a program within 100 miles of where I am unfortunately. I know it seems flaky on appearance, but I believe my reason is compelling enough to warrant a shot at an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to be that guy, but I think you're going to face an uphill battle convincing a PD about your difficulties playing a part in you being not involved in any clinical medicine for 5 years to a clinical based one.

Funding is also an issue you'll encounter, because hospital has to pony up that money to pay your salary vs. get it subsidized by Medicare for a "new" resident.

Have you looked at other alternative non-clinical careers?

Sorry to be that guy, but I think you're going to face an uphill battle convincing a PD about your difficulties playing a part in you being not involved in any clinical medicine for 5 years to a clinical based one.

Funding is also an issue you'll encounter, because hospital has to pony up that money to pay your salary vs. get it subsidized by Medicare for a "new" resident.

Have you looked at other alternative non-clinical careers?

No worries, you’re not being that guy, just sharing your thoughts. Appreciate it.

As to alternative non-clinical careers, no chance. I love medicine. Even in the current environment of consolidation, reimbursement cuts, and EMR burnout, I’d rather take a chance at that uphill battle.

Thanks for your feedback man.

If you did a transitional year, that may count towards FM. Look for open PGY2 FM spots. I switched from radiology and do not regret it.

I know of an IM attending switch to EM when I was an intern and an MDPhD FMG >10 yrs from practice match to FM at my med school, and a psych attending switch to FM.

Goodluck

Cheers

Reactions: 1 user