Is it the admissions committee members who answer our email enquiries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Memo Fri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the people who read our email enquries are the same people who review our applications? Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

here it's the office folks who do that duty. they are not adcom members.

here it's the office folks who do that duty. they are not adcom members.

I think this is the case most places. However, I have heard that whatever you write to the school can be printed off and placed in your file (like I know for sure that happened to me with an "in the area" request).

Most likely, no one on the committee will see what you write, especially for general inquiries. But, it's possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is the case most places. However, I have heard that whatever you write to the school can be printed off and placed in your file (like I know for sure that happened to me with an "in the area" request).

Most likely, no one on the committee will see what you write, especially for general inquiries. But, it's possible.

What about asking for my application status if you happen to know? Thanks.

^It's going to vary by school. Every school's system is different. Really, why would you even care? If you say something questionable, offensive, rude, etc. it WILL get to the adcom. Guaranteed. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Your email will be routed according to policies based on who can best answer it.

What about asking for my application status if you happen to know? Thanks.

Not sure about that one. Are you wondering if they would be able to tell you a better answer if they were adcoms or are you afraid of annoying them?

I'm going to assume the latter. As long as you wait a reasonable amount of time after turning in your app or after an interview, I doubt emailing them would be a problem.

What a reasonable time is, I cannot say. Look at the school specific threads and see how long other people are waiting. If you've been waiting longer than most, it probably wouldn't hurt to email once. Just be polite.

^It's going to vary by school. Every school's system is different. Really, why would you even care? If you say something questionable, offensive, rude, etc. it WILL get to the adcom. Guaranteed. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Your email will be routed according to policies based on who can best answer it.

Not sure about that one. Are you wondering if they would be able to tell you a better answer if they were adcoms or are you afraid of annoying them?

I'm going to assume the latter. As long as you wait a reasonable amount of time after turning in your app or after an interview, I doubt emailing them would be a problem.

What a reasonable time is, I cannot say. Look at the school specific threads and see how long other people are waiting. If you've been waiting longer than most, it probably wouldn't hurt to email once. Just be polite.

I will just be honest. I know it was a stupid mistake that I made but I had a very obvious typo in the email I sent to them. Should I be worried in this case? I really don't want the adcoms to think that either I am not serious about their school or I am a very careless person...:S

I will just be honest. I know it was a stupid mistake that I made but I had a very obvious typo in the email I sent to them. Should I be worried in this case? I really don't want the adcoms to think that either I am not serious about their school or I am a very careless person...:S

What's done is done. Nothing you can do about it now so you may as well let it go. It probably won't be a big deal. Best of luck!

Unless the typo led to a cuss word or something, I doubt it will matter at all. As the poster above me said, it's done, don't worry about it.