Is it time to start getting worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phonyreal98

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it time to start getting worried about LOR writers who haven't sent in their LORs for me yet? I have 6 letter writers, 3 have sent in their letters, 3 have not (including 2 science profs). I verified with each of my writers that they were willing and able to write me a letter during this past spring semester, and gave them my CV/personal statement in late April/early May. What's a good, tactful way to ask them about how far along they are with their LOR for me via e-mail, without sounding like I'm rushing them along? Also, how should I deal with it if they do not respond via e-mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you give them a specific due date? If so, then you should be worried when the due date passes. Professors are busy and they like to leave these things to the last minute.

I like to give reminders at dates that look "planned" like the one month mark and 15 day mark. This makes it look like you're not rushing them but it's just a routine courtesy to the professor.

Did you give them a specific due date? If so, then you should be worried when the due date passes. Professors are busy and they like to leave these things to the last minute.

I like to give reminders at dates that look "planned" like the one month mark and 15 day mark. This makes it look like you're not rushing them but it's just a routine courtesy to the professor.

No, I didn't think of that :/

Should I try to contact them and see what their progress is, and then ask them to have it done by a certain date (probably sometime in August, gives them at least a month to get it done)?

No, I didn't think of that :/

Should I try to contact them and see what their progress is, and then ask them to have it done by a certain date (probably sometime in August, gives them at least a month to get it done)?

Ouch, first mistake was not setting a "due date." Without setting one, most profs will sit on it forever (literally). I told my profs to send in LORs by June 1st cause I'm obsessive like that. Even with a deadline, some didn't send them in till July...

Yeah if you're ok with August then tell them August. That's plenty of time. Many profs just copy and paste from a standard letter they use and then change some of the info to fit you/what you're applying for. Doesn't take them very long.