Is it to late to begin a DO app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedapplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I'm not familiar with the DO side of things as much but MD isn't looking to promising - is it to late this cycle to apply or should I go for it? Also do they look less favorably on re-applicants like MD programs?

Members don't see this ad.

It is rather late, but nothing tried nothing gained. At this point schools have already started accepting folks, but there have been people who applied in December and were accepted. Your main issue may be the time it takes to verify your AACOMAS application.

That all being said, if you do decide to try this year, get it all done and in by Monday. Be prepared to submit your secondaries within 24 hours of receipt. You're late in the cycle... quick turn around will be very very key here.

That I can do for sure -

The other side of the coin is do DO schools look at re-applicants more harshly? My mcat is good for another year so it may be in my best interest to just wait until next cycle if they do look at re-applicants more harshly - I don't want to shoot myself in the foot like I did last year by applying in September to MD schools as per my stupid advisors suggestion lol

ugh such a miserable situation to be in!

Members don't see this ad :)
That I can do for sure -

The other side of the coin is do DO schools look at re-applicants more harshly? My mcat is good for another year so it may be in my best interest to just wait until next cycle if they do look at re-applicants more harshly - I don't want to shoot myself in the foot like I did last year by applying in September to MD schools as per my stupid advisors suggestion lol

ugh such a miserable situation to be in!

What is your exposure to osteopathic medicine and/or practicing DOs thus far? If the answer is little to none, I would recommend not applying to DO schools this cycle. There is a lot of desperation in this process, but one shouldn't smell of it.

If you do have adequate exposure then I would agree with ShyRem, throw your hat in and see what happens. Research your prospective schools carefully and go for it.

I notice you have a so-so cGPA, but your sGPA and MCAT are quite good. How many MD schools did you apply to? Are there any obvious weaknesses in your app?

When you say exposure to DO what do you mean exactly? I volunteered at a NYC Hospital for over 300 hours so I am sure I interacted with DO's - as far as specific DO - I thought they are fundamentally the same as MD just more holistic approach?

As far as my app - I have like no community serivice/leadership in my application which I think is my main weakness - bear in my this is mostly due to my involvement in a 12 step recovery program (AA) for the past 5 years - so I chair meetings, help fundraise etc etc but didn't feel I could include that in my application do to the stigma associated with it...

It is rather late, but nothing tried nothing gained. At this point schools have already started accepting folks, but there have been people who applied in December and were accepted. Your main issue may be the time it takes to verify your AACOMAS application.

That all being said, if you do decide to try this year, get it all done and in by Monday. Be prepared to submit your secondaries within 24 hours of receipt. You're late in the cycle... quick turn around will be very very key here.

Also whats the impact of becoming a reapplicant to DO's? Do they look favorably or less favorably on re-applicants?

When you say exposure to DO what do you mean exactly?

I am an MD but I'm pretty sure the question "why osteopathic medicine?" is going to come up at some point. You need to have a good answer for that. You should become familiar with OMM. Some schools may require one LOR from a DO and/or DO shadowing experience. These are things you are unlikely to acquire this late in the game.

Perhaps you could BS your way into some crappy school at the 11th hour, but do you really want to compromise your foundational medical education that way?

Premedapplicant said:
As far as my app - I have like no community serivice/leadership in my application which I think is my main weakness - bear in my this is mostly due to my involvement in a 12 step recovery program (AA) for the past 5 years - so I chair meetings, help fundraise etc etc but didn't feel I could include that in my application do to the stigma associated with it...

If you are a recovered/recovering alcoholic then yes, I can see your dilemma. No doubt AA is very important to you, but if this cycle doesn't work out I'd say your path is clear. You will need to fill in this gap, and in the meantime you should set about researching osteopathic medicine and finding a DO to shadow. That will have you in much better shape for both MD and DO schools come June 2011.

Good luck!

Be realistic about how long it is going to take you to actually get your applications out. I assume you haven't sent transcripts to AACOMAS yet, which is a process you should probably allow two weeks for. Once your transcripts are in, you'll need to be verified (usually another week and a half or so), and then sent out to schools (another week). On top of that,with very few exceptions schools are going to want a letter from a DO, which means you have to find one, shadow one, and allow him/her time to write that letter. You will also need to get your other letter writers to send copies of their letters to interfolio (or similar), since AACOMAS does not offer a letter service and you won't be able to send to DO schools from AMCAS. After that, you're going to have to wait for secondaries (varies from 1 to several weeks), and then get them back to the schools (hopefully immediately for you). Add all this time up, and absolute best case scenario I think you're looking at having your applications complete by Christmas time.

Christmas is super late, but some applicants do still find success applying around that time. I would carefully weigh the cost of this though, and think about the fact that you will be spending a good amount of money to apply at a disadvantage for a limited number of positions. Still, you do have a chance, and if it is worth the effort/time/money/frustration for you to have another shot at starting next fall then go for it. Just be realistic and make sure it is worth it to you.