Is it too early to start asking for LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlPacino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying this upcoming cycle and hope to have a complete application as early as possible. I got two questions regarding LORs from those of you who have been through the process. Since PharmCAS doesnt open til June, would it be too early to start asking my professor/pharmacist for the LORs?

Other question is most schools Im applying to require 2-3 LORs. They prefer a pharmacist and then a professor. I can get 2 from pharmacist I work with that know me very well and 1 from my organic professor, or I can get one from a pharmacist, one from my science professor and one from my math professor. Not sure if schools would prefer a pharmacist opinion more or three different people in different fields. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose those who know you very well, if the prof knows you better than the RPh, then ask them Etc.

I will be applying this upcoming cycle and hope to have a complete application as early as possible. I got two questions regarding LORs from those of you who have been through the process. Since PharmCAS doesnt open til June, would it be too early to start asking my professor/pharmacist for the LORs?

Other question is most schools Im applying to require 2-3 LORs. They prefer a pharmacist and then a professor. I can get 2 from pharmacist I work with that know me very well and 1 from my organic professor, or I can get one from a pharmacist, one from my science professor and one from my math professor. Not sure if schools would prefer a pharmacist opinion more or three different people in different fields. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I'd say the earlier the better.. I was kind of in a rush to get my LoRs in and I had to somewhat pester one of them who was taking their time. I'd definitely do at least 1 professor if you can. Since the 2 pharmacists know you well that would be a good option too. Sounds like you have it under control.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is never too early. I would rather go with one pharmacist and two professors. Maybe even a counselor/adviser if you are lucky enough to have one that knows you well.

Most schools I will be applying to require LORs to be submitted through pharmcas. If you ask too soon make sure you let them know that pharmcas has not yet opened and they will need to wait until it is to submit the LOR.

I would choose those who know you very well, if the prof knows you better than the RPh, then ask them Etc.

I'd say the earlier the better.. I was kind of in a rush to get my LoRs in and I had to somewhat pester one of them who was taking their time. I'd definitely do at least 1 professor if you can. Since the 2 pharmacists know you well that would be a good option too. Sounds like you have it under control.

It is never too early. I would rather go with one pharmacist and two professors. Maybe even a counselor/adviser if you are lucky enough to have one that knows you well.

This is what my number one choice says on pharmcas

Letters of recommendation should come from those individuals who know the applicant very well. Only two letters of recommendation are required. The Admissions Committee prefers one letter from a faculty member and one from a pharmacist. PharmCAS allows four letters of recommendation so the applicant can select a couple of faculty members, an employer(s), a pharmacist if feasible, or other individuals (e.g., another employer, advisor, or other health care practitioners). Letters of recommendation from family members and teaching assistants are not accepted.

Yeah it seem that somebody who knows you best and can speak well of your academic/professional background is the best criteria for choosing your LORs.

If all the recommendations are strong, why not approach all 4 of them? As long as you meet the letter requirements for each of your PharmCAS schools, adcoms can then choose which/how many letters they wish to consider.

On a related note, keep some alternates in the back of your mind. It isn't often, but sometimes circumstances beyond your control can keep even the most well-intentioned letter writers from either meeting your deadline or writing a letter at all.

Never to early... One of my professors had two months to complete my recommendation letter, he kept promising, said that it's no problem, but never completed it! If I had asked him earlier then I could have figured out sooner that he will just never do it, and ask someone else... I would have much less stress. On the end I didn't really need that letter, because only two were required for my school, and that was a third one, but... If I really needed it I would have been in trouble, because it was too late to ask someone else!

And as a person above said... ask all three! Just in case.

Last edited: