Is it too late? And are there interviews in late Dec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent-2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to turn in my app in 1-2 weeks and plan to take my DAT sometime between the end of November/ Dec 15.

First of all, if they get the scores around Dec 10th or so, won't they simply push everything back till January?

Secondly, am I applying too late?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a straight up answer to your question: Yes you are applying late. You need to submit you application immediately and I would forget trying to get interviews this year (by the end of Dec). Most schools will interview the first two weeks of December and then go on break until early or mid January. I'm sorry for being so direct but as you probably know it takes AADSAS from 4-6 weeks to process your app and then schools take a couple weeks to process your app and sent you secondaries and it takes another week to send secondaries and another week or two to evaluate your credentials and send you an interview letter. That is over a 2 months just to get interviews. You should have submitted you app at the latest by the end of August. I didn't take my DAT's until the day before my interviews, but I submitted my app the first day it was available. I always shake my head when I hear stories like these. Anyways, Good luck.

DesiDentist

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Your application is a bit on the late side, but I am really sick of the "told you so" attitude of those who got their application in at 12:01AM the day that it became possible to submit. Desi is right, you probably won't hear for a little while, but if you think you are a strong applicant, have the money and want to try this year, go for it. Just be patient and realistic in your expectations. Last I heard, they were maybe up to 4000 and there were what, 9000 or so apps. last year. Its no one else's business why or how long you waited. Gosh, why must people take other people's applications so seriously. I can't imagine "shaking my head" at a fellow applicant. There are a million reasons why an applicant may not have had their stuff in during June, whether it is work, money, or personal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well said dragonfly! How about some encouragement for the applicants here? If you are a strong applicant, then go ahead. Think about it - a school would rather take a 3.8 student with a 25 DAT who submitted the application in December rather than a 3.3 student with a 20 DAT who submitted the first day the application was available back in July. It comes down to the stats of the accepted students that are going to make the school look good and "date of AASDAS submission" isn't one of them. Remember, you can receive an acceptance right up until the day when classes start (even after orientation is over!). It may not be the ideal situation to get an acceptance, but you might as well give it a shot.

So what if you don't get an interview till January - I seriously doubt schools fill up all available spots with acceptances by Dec. 1. There are still spots left in January if you get an interview then - if not, there is always the waitlist route and the anxiety that comes with it.

Good luck!

I apologize that my statements disrupted other people. I've just been told that you should submit the application the first day. Last year two of my good friends who had above 3.5 gpa and 21 DATS didn't get in anywhere because they applied late, while one of my friends got into UW with a 3.0 and a 19 DAT. So I preach to those people that they should apply early, not necessarily the first
day.

Not many people admit it, but most of this application process is strategy.Numbers are okay, but you need to know how to work the system.

I never thought about the financial aspect of the whole application process.But that may deter others. But like I reiterate so many times. Make sure youmake arrangments immediately. There are resources available. My philosophy is,"If you are going to do it, do it right." However, I forget not everyone is meand their goals are different than mine. My goal is to get in somewhere by Dec.1st, while other peoples goal could be just to get in. So I preach to applyearly. That is one of the main reasons I have gotten so lucky, you have toadmit. Good luck and my apologies again.

DesiDentist

Originally posted by dragonfly9
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Its no one else's business why or how long you waited. Gosh, why must people take other people's applications so seriously.

Actually, when a user posts a question such as "will be application be late if I submit it in 2 weeks?", then it is EVERYBODY else's business why the person waited to turn in the application. If you don't want to get feedback, then don't ask -- it's a very simple policy.

If somebody had casually mentioned in a post that they are going to turn in their app. in a couple of weeks, then responses would be different. That was not the case here. Our friend has an inkling that they are applying late, and because of this they asked the question "am I applying too late?"

Remarks directed at a person should not be tolerated, but comments regarding the situation should be welcomed with open arms -- whether good or bad.

I agree with Desi: Yes, dent-2002, you are applying too late to have your application work to your best benefit. That is not to say that you won't get in somewhere, or multiple schools. As you stated, though, your interviews will be pushed back to January, and that is probably a conservative guess. Many schools are full with interviews through December already now. Schools won't be receiving your application for another 2 months (2 weeks until you send it and then 4-6 weeks for AADSAS to send it), nor your DAT scores for the same time. I would venture to say that you will be interviewing in February and March.

Remember the term "rolling admissions", which also equates to "rolling viewing of applications". Many students have sent in their applications already, and many are still sending them in. I believe you can have success this application cycle, but that your window of opportunity for maximum success has long past.

And by the way, the attitude of "I had a friend who applied in March and got accepted " is extremely misleading. That statement only serves to show that some people can beat the odds and come up lucky. If anybody relies on that statement as a majority rule, they will be sorely dissappointed.

There are also many other applicants who applied in March and didn't even get interviews, much less acceptances. Let's not kid ourselves -- playing the odds is half the battle with admissions. You've got to know when to apply and know where to apply (given you stats and cirumstances).

It doesn't matter if there were 9000 apps. total last year, but only 4000 turned in by December. That still leaves plenty of applicants who didn't get a single acceptance (roughly 5000, to be exact).

If you're willing to spend the money go ahead and apply. Each case is different. I applied "late" also because I waited until November to take my DAT's and now I'm a first year dental student. It's possible that you will get into dental schools so don't lose hope. I suggest taking the DAT's as soon as possible and if you're happy with your scores then apply. However, I must say I wish I applied earlier because it really does increase your chances of acceptance and is less stressful on your part. But, this isn't to say you won't be a successful candidate because not everyone gets in before Dec 1st. You never know until you try. Good luck to you.

I fully agree with hopefully -- well put.

Also, dent-2002, you must be careful to be mindful of the application deadlines for schools. I know it seems like a long ways off, but you never know what types of delays will happen with AADSAS, or what they might claim.

I am not saying that Desi is incorrect in his support of applying early, I am simply saying there is a nice, constructive way of offering advice and there is a "holier than thou" approach. Hopefully demonstrated that it is possible to offer advice without disparaging an individual. Obviously, it is impossible to apply early in the current cycle at this point. There is nothing one can do about it during this cycle. I think it best to offer advice which is useful and may be heeded rather than administering a scolding for something that cannot be changed.

Play nice guys. . .if everyone sent their application at the same time you did, early application might not provide the same cushion. Embrace your fellow applicants that wait till the fall to apply. They may have done a favor for you
:)

My advice wasn't trying to hurt anyone. I know what is done is done. You can't apply early now, but hopefully someone will look at this next year and that might get them into dental school. That is the purpose of this forumn, to learn from other peoples mistakes.

I could have answered, "yes, you applied late." That only reiterates what dent-2002 already knows. But pre-dents who haven't applied yet will know how much of a difference it makes and they might apply early after reading my posts.

DesiDentist

I posted this because I am currently studying for the DAT and was going to take it between Nov 15 and Dec 15. I feel that my score and app will be better if I give it a little extra time ( a few more weeks).

I was paranoid about it, but I saw posts from last year from Yah-E, who apparently applied in late Nov and took his DAT on Jan 3rd and still got into dental school. (With DesiDentist himself encouraging him)

I am a pretty strong applicant, and i am not overly picky about where I get in, since rank of dental school does not matter.

I saw a bunch of people who applied in Oct/ Nov last year and were still were able to get in, as long as they were above-average candidates. Of course, for a borderline app, it would clearly be best to apply early.

I just hope that it won't adversely affect my chances too much. I don't mind interviewing in Jan/Feb, I have nothing better in the meantime, anyways!

We encourage everyone on this forumn. Like I say: "if you want to do it, do it right." If a couple weeks will make your application stronger than it is right now, by all means do it. If you have above a 3.3 and a 18 DAT I think you are in good standing. Its good you don't mind interviewing next year, but your earlier post you said that if it is too late for December interviews. That is the main reason I was telling you that you are too late, but keep your head up. It is like a race, even if some people get there before you do they will stand at the finish line and root for you until you get there. Good luck.

DesiDentist

Just a quick question:
Are you guys applying in Texas? Or do you think it's too late for Texas applicants?
Thanks!

Originally posted by texasgal1112
Just a quick question:
Are you guys applying in Texas? Or do you think it's too late for Texas applicants?
Thanks!

Are you questioning whether you are going to get into med school and using dentistry as a back up or something? If I remember correctly from your posts in the "Texas Pre-Meds" forum you have already had a few med school interviews. Merely curious, that?s all. :)

Dent 2002:

You ask if you're applying late? Well, the quickest answer is "YES".

You asked do you have a chance? My answer for you will be "YES".

Well you need DAT good numbers (20/20) since you're applying this late? My answer for you is also "YES"

Admission process and interview selection is a very interesting cycled process. You see, when applicants apply early, you'll be going against some of the finest applicants in the entire country, applicants with 3.8s and 25/25s with research and volunteering experiences up the @ss.

Dental schools usually have two "official" accepting cycles, one on December 1st of each application cycle and the second one around mid February-beginning of March. Usually by March, 80% of each dental school incoming dental class are filled. It is during the first acceptance cycle, that a lot of our SDN pre-dents will be accepted and for those people who applied early (before August).

Now, I applied LATE! Late Novemeber, schools didn't even get my AADSAS application unitl the beginning of January. I had all the holidays against my application (Thanksgiving, X-mas, and New Years). My cumulative undergraduate AND my overall sciencei GPAs are less than a 2.5.

According to A LOT of people, either on SDN or school counselors, I had NO CHANCE of getting an interview. Well, you know what, with a little help of my new DAT scores (in Januray), a number of passionate phone calls to admissions directors, my graduate level GPAs, and a little determination. I was accepted to dental schools quick.

Listen to this, I started to interview by dental schools in March, guess what, I was accepted by them in March. It has nothing to do with "luck", it's all timing and getting your name/application known!

You see, this is how it works. After December 1st (the first round of acceptances), dental schools will send out enough acceptances to fill their classes. So around mid December, for those applicants that wants to know if they got into a certain school via phoine calls to the admissions offices, that particular school will tell you that we're full FOR THAT TIME BEING!

Wait a couple of weeks, spots will open because not all accepted applicants will accept certain schools acceptances. Then, the same **** will happen again after the second round of acceptances and the classes will get filled a little bit more officially. Then in March, that's when the final picture of how full the classes will comes out.

At times, I almost think it advantageous to apply late, kind of like avoiding the rush hour for traffic thing! If you drive to your destination after rush hour, you'll get there quicker, right? Of course, you should have a car the runs (Your GPAs and DATS) and you know where you're going (your determination). You'll get there where you want to be eventually. Does it matter if you're there first (get accepted first) or if you're there 50th? I think not! As long as you get there.

To have the best chances of getting accepted by dental schools, yes, there's no doubt that you should have a GPA greater than 3.3 and DATs greater than 18 across the board AND apply early. But y'all know what, those are guidelines/recommendations, in reality, things are very different.

Remember, SDN Pre-dents are sharing what they feel it's the best way to get accepted, take their advice and integrated into your application circumstances and make the best out of it.

I had EVERYTHING going against my application, the late submission and the low GPA numbers, but guess what, I'm now a D1, I've been elected Class President, I'm top 10 of my class currently if not top 5, I was accepted by more than one dental schools, and most importantly, I arrived at my destination after rush hour because I knew that I wanted to be there!

Good luck to you all and keep up the spirits.

Now I'm going to go get some Sushi with my classmates! :clap:

:cool:

Dear Yah-E,
Thanks for all your help. I am actually asking for a friend. I will definitely let him know what you said. Your information is really helpful! BTW are you Chinese? Congrats on persevering through it all!

i had a friend who had a a good gpa and applied during october...she was interviewed in march and got in to NYU...so if you have the grades, i don't think it's that big of a deal

Hi DesiDentist,
You mentioned that you received an interview before taking the DAT? I did not know that the schools will do that. I sent in my application in late september and planning to take the DAT in late November. It really gives me hope to hear you say that.

Neurodent:

Yes, but remember you're other application must be very strong. So strong that they are very confident that you will do decently on the DAT that they kinda put it on the back burner. HOwever, I would definately take the DAT before you interview...it is too much going back and forth to interview then taking your DAT. Also, I've seen it a trend that people who apply between June-August tend to get interviews without their DAT's more often than those who apply later in the cycle. I had 4 interviews before my DAT's were submitted to:

1.)Temple
2.) UPENN (they do this very rarely)
3.) NOVA ( I was told that they will not look at my app until it is complete, but I was given an interview two weeks before my DAT. I am typing this message from nova right now.)
4.) Boston U. ( I didn't even send them an app fee.)

So if you have above a 3.5 and spectacular references and experiences you might be lucky.

Good luck, please PM me if you have more questions or post 'em.

DesiDentist