Is it too late / Did I shoot myself in the foot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vin5cent0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without thinking it through, I took the MCAT August 18th. For some reason I had it in my head that I would apply next summer and then attend school that summer.. what I was thinking, or what drugs I was on, I don't know. Now I'm facing the prospect of applying next summer and then not starting class until the next year. So, two years from now..

Since I wound up taking the MCAT so late, I wrote off applying this application process because I would be getting my scores back so late. Well, now I'm thinking I want to apply to a few schools just to see if I can get in and save myself a year. Did I shoot myself in the foot for waiting until now, or does it not matter since I won't be getting my scores until Sept 19th or so anyways? I already have my PS written and I have a light college load this semester, so hammering out essays or finishing up my application shouldn't be too hard. Any ideas?

I realize it's late, but I feel like given some of my ECs, I'm a fairly competitive applicant overall.

Thanks for any insight

Members don't see this ad.

do you have LORs prepared? I think that would be your biggest hurdle at this point (aside from the late application).

do you have LORs prepared? I think that would be your biggest hurdle at this point (aside from the late application).

I have two of them, and I'm sure I can get the other one quickly

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your GPA and projected MCAT score? I think that is a big factor in this decision. If your stats are high, then your app could rise to the top of the pile. If they're low, you could be wasting your money to apply late

What's your GPA and projected MCAT score? I think that is a big factor in this decision. If your stats are high, then your app could rise to the top of the pile. If they're low, you could be wasting your money to apply late

Anticipating around a 29-32 on the MCAT based off of last scores, crappy GPA of about 3.5 with major upward trend. I realize my stats are mediocre, but I held a part time job all throughout college, as well as interning for two summers at mayo clinic with excellent experiences, a few decent volunteer gigs, some solid research, and 4 years of consistent volunteering at another place that ate up a lot of my time in college. I think a lot of people looking over my app will recognize that I put in a LOT of time making a living to afford school and volunteering (even before I wanted to attend medical school, so it's more "sincere" than a lot of people's last-minute volunteer cramming specifically for medical school), so I'm hoping that will give me a little leeway on my gpa and mcat.

Anticipating around a 29-32 on the MCAT based off of last scores, crappy GPA of about 3.5 with major upward trend. I realize my stats are mediocre, but I held a part time job all throughout college, as well as interning for two summers at mayo clinic with excellent experiences, a few decent volunteer gigs, some solid research, and 4 years of consistent volunteering at another place that ate up a lot of my time in college. I think a lot of people looking over my app will recognize that I put in a LOT of time making a living to afford school and volunteering (even before I wanted to attend medical school, so it's more "sincere" than a lot of people's last-minute volunteer cramming specifically for medical school), so I'm hoping that will give me a little leeway on my gpa and mcat.
Sure, but I don't think it's going to happen this cycle when you're complete in late October at your schools at the soonest.

I say definitely wait until next cycle and get all your ducks in a row in time

It sounds like you are not fully prepared to apply this year, I would wait and just improve the app until you are ready to apply.

Don't waste an app cycle. Get ready, start prepping for AMCAS 2013, and then give it your all.

see WUbear.... my bro sat out for 3 app cycles then got an EDP acceptance and is living the dream. Just saying.

You are definitely at an disadvantage at this point. Apply in the next cycle. Get those LOR's right now though so you can submit your application early next time and also start working on your personal statement.

I totally disagree with the advice above.

Apply to your state schools this year if you get your letters of rec finished. It will not be extremely expensive, and if you have a good MCAT you will be able to get in with a 3.5 gpa to many state schools (depending on where your residence is). Plus the application process teaches you a lot of information you wont learn by just searching SDN and MSAR such as what its really like to interview. I was in a similar position last year, and I applied even though I knew I had a slim chance of acceptance. This year I know exactly what I am doing and have "all my ducks in a row"... plus being a re-applicant helps at a lot of schools by showing perseverance. Try your state school. If you dont get in, do an exit interview. Get to know the admissions staff. You may have a few hundred dollars to lose, but it will put you in a much better position next year, trust me.

it's probably better to get it over with in one shot, you don't want to stress yourself out. if you aren't ready, then don't send it in this cycle. you can still apply if you want. an extra year gives you more time to strengthen your application, if you want to do research or take some more classes to strengthen your gpa.