Is it too late for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaeltran

Reaction score
Hi all! I am a transfer student from community college, with current declared majors in CS + Math (dual degree) + Physics (2nd major). My current GPA is 4.0. However, since I never thought about going to grad school, my course load for previous semesters was light (~12-13 credit hours) and some of my prereqs were taken at CC (Gen Chem + Gen Phys with Lab). Plus, I am 26 and I had many gap years between high school and college because life happened.
Currently I'm taking 19 credit hours and working as lab assistant in a material physics lab. I expect to maintain the 4.0 maybe throughout my course of study. My question is: Is it still reasonably possible for me to get into dental school? I am planning to take more Chem + Bio this summer and 7 classes in the fall (and maybe the same next spring) to demonstrate I can handle heavier course work. LORs and DAT requirements can be fulfilled. What do you think about my situation?
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it’s not too late.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have to look at it from a financial stand point. A CS degree these days around my state gets you about 90K starting salary with just a bachelors, not sure where you live but CS is one of the best paying careers rn regardless. Contrast that with the debt you'll be going into from dental school, if you don't get into your state school or a cheaper OOS school you're looking at 300K-400K+ in debt. Meanwhile, you could be making north of 70-80K those 4 years working a CS job, or even going to grad school for it to make even more and still be out before you would be if you went to dental school and for cheaper.

Reactions: 2 users
If dentistry is what you want, then no, it is not too late! I also think your background in CS would really help you. Use your problem-solving skills to your advantage in your personal statement and interviews. One thing to keep in mind as you search for schools is to check how many credits they will allow from community colleges, if prereqs are allowed to be taken at community colleges, and how recent coursework must be. You got this! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user