Is it too late for me to apply DO? 3.85 gpa, 507 MCAT, URM, black male.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdawg45

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am feeling like I should have applied to at least a couple of DO schools. I keep running into people that tell me they know people at PCOM and would "make a call for me". Am I too late? I'd have to do the DO primary app and wait for verification?.

Also, what are you guys thoughts on PCOM? My school sends a handful of students there every year but I am not friends with any of them to ask. I really like Philly and see that they seem to embrace diversity in their student body, which is a big plus for me. Don't want to feel like I missed an opportunity to go to a great school.

Members don't see this ad.

DO has a much later cycle cutoff so I think you are good to add some man. Not to mention AACOMAS has a very fast turnaround for primary verification when compared to AMCAS. Wouldn't hurt to add a few you are interested in!

Hey guys, I am feeling like I should have applied to at least a couple of DO schools. I keep running into people that tell me they know people at PCOM and would "make a call for me". Am I too late? I'd have to do the DO primary app and wait for verification?.

Also, what are you guys thoughts on PCOM? My school sends a handful of students there every year but I am not friends with any of them to ask. I really like Philly and see that they seem to embrace diversity in their student body, which is a big plus for me. Don't want to feel like I missed an opportunity to go to a great school.
PCOM is one of the tougher DO schools to get in. You should be good for all the others to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)

Chances are fine, and NO, it's not late at all for DO!

Question, why are you choosing DO if your stats are competitive for MD? MD will help you land a competitive residency and also will carry with you your whole life. As an MD you can practice in more countries too

Question, why are you choosing DO if your stats are competitive for MD? MD will help you land a competitive residency and also will carry with you your whole life. As an MD you can practice in more countries too
I completed secondaries for 14 MD schools. I chose most of my schools based on region (east coast), so I didn't necessarily apply to all the schools that my stats fit best with. I didn't choose all "reach" schools by any means though. I just felt like DO would help me diversify my portfolio so to speak, and mitigate the risk of getting no acceptances. I'm mostly only interested in PCOM and potentially one more, though.