Is it too late (or even worth it) for me to submit a DO letter of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Booryan

Reaction score
New to SDN. Backstory. I have about 25 hours shadowing a DO back in January. I applied to 10 DO schools and have submitted 8 secondaries from 6/18-6/26. I have a letter of recommendation from a primary care MD that I've worked with in an urgent care for 3 years and shadowed for 30+ hours. I figured a letter from him could potentially carry more weight because he knows me so well. I have since started shadowing another DO that I also know in a professional environment for about 15 hours so far. I'm starting to get nervous about not having a DO recommendation. I know the sites say they will accept either but I am worried they won't consider my application without a DO LOR,. Is it too late for me to submit another LOR a month after I submitted secondaries? Am I worrying over nothing? Any help would be much appreciated!

-Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

New to SDN. Backstory. I have about 25 hours shadowing a DO back in January. I applied to 10 DO schools and have submitted 8 secondaries from 6/18-6/26. I have a letter of recommendation from a primary care MD that I've worked with in an urgent care for 3 years and shadowed for 30+ hours. I figured a letter from him could potentially carry more weight because he knows me so well. I have since started shadowing another DO that I also know in a professional environment for about 15 hours so far. I'm starting to get nervous about not having a DO recommendation. I know the sites say they will accept either but I am worried they won't consider my application without a DO LOR,. Is it too late for me to submit another LOR a month after I submitted secondaries? Am I worrying over nothing? Any help would be much appreciated!

-Bryan
submitting the DO letter can only help, however not submitting won’t hurt you at any school except wvsom which requires a DO letter iirc.

if you can get a DO letter by all means submit one even if it’s a little late, but don’t worry too much if you don’t

Reactions: 1 user
submitting the DO letter can only help, however not submitting won’t hurt you at any school except wvsom which requires a DO letter iirc.

if you can get a DO letter by all means submit one even if it’s a little late, but don’t worry too much if you don’t
Thanks for the advice! It won't be too much trouble so i'll talk to the doctor about it tomorrow.

-Bryan
Lacking a DO LOR won't hurt you, but having one will always help.

And no, it's not too late.

Reactions: 1 user