Is it too late to add schools to my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GettinAfterIt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a couple more schools to my list. Most likely, George Washington and Loma Linda. Is it worth it at this point or am I just being neurotic?

I am already complete at 11 schools, applied to 35 MD and 10 DO - stats are 3.39 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA, 507 MCAT - Veteran (Was a medic in the Army)

List:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1656788442882.png
    1656788442882.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 1656788442880.png
    1656788442880.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 115
I was thinking of adding a couple more schools to my list. Most likely, George Washington and Loma Linda. Is it worth it at this point or am I just being neurotic?

I am already complete at 11 schools, applied to 35 MD and 10 DO - stats are 3.39 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA, 507 MCAT - Veteran (Was a medic in the Army)

List:
Absolutely NOT too late. This thing just started a week ago! You are probably more than fine with 45 schools, and yes, you are being neurotic if you were expecting anything to happen in the first week, but you can add schools well into August before even thinking about it maybe being late.

Reactions: 4 users
Absolutely NOT too late. This thing just started a week ago! You are probably more than fine with 45 schools, and yes, you are being neurotic if you were expecting anything to happen in the first week, but you can add schools well into August before even thinking about it maybe being late.
Awesome thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Heavens, no! The cycle has just begun. Good luck!

I suggest only applying to Loma Linda if you are a SDA or have similar religious beliefs.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest only applying to Loma Linda if you are a SDA or have similar religious beliefs.
I was raised Catholic and wouldn't mind being in that environment. Do you think I have a shot? My most important criteria are warm-weather/to be near family.

I was raised Catholic and wouldn't mind being in that environment. Do you think I have a shot? My most important criteria are warm-weather/to be near family.
If you actively practice, then sure. This is what their secondary questions were last year for reference:

If you actively practice, then sure. This is what their secondary questions were last year for reference:

Thanks!

List:
Not late at all! One thing I do have to say, though, is that Quillen (ETSU) is heavily in-state biased. They take near-zero out of staters. If you are not from Tennessee I would not recommend applying there. They state this on their website for your reference: Selection Factors

I took a look at your school list and about one third of the schools you applied to either never or rarely take people out of state. The fact that you are a veteran may help (if you’ve done active duty as opposed to being in reserves the entire time) but your MCAT is also far below the national average.

I took a look at your school list and about one third of the schools you applied to either never or rarely take people out of state. The fact that you are a veteran may help (if you’ve done active duty as opposed to being in reserves the entire time) but your MCAT is also far below the national average.
Medic in the army sounds like active duty to me. A TON of people are successful with MCATs at or below 507, and that's without the significant boost an applicant gets from being a veteran. Schools LOVE the leadership, service, hard work, discipline, teamwork, etc. associated with military service.

Of course, success will ultimately depend on the rest of the application, but being a veteran absolutely will definitely help, particularly the experience OP gained as a medic. So, IMHO, it was unnecessarily negative to state that a MCAT 5 points below the average of matriculants is "far below the national average." A lot of people are below the average. That's why the average is the average! For every 517 there is a 507. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Medic in the army sounds like active duty to me. A TON of people are successful with MCATs at or below 507, and that's without the significant boost an applicant gets from being a veteran. Schools LOVE the leadership, service, hard work, discipline, teamwork, etc. associated with military service.

Of course, success will ultimately depend on the rest of the application, but being a veteran absolutely will definitely help, particularly the experience OP gained as a medic. So, IMHO, it was unnecessarily negative to state that a MCAT 5 points below the average of matriculants is "far below the national average." A lot of people are below the average. That's why the average is the average! For every 517 there is a 507. :)

I agree that military service is looked upon very favorably. But my whole point to OP was to expand their school list reasonably and check verified resources to see if the school is heavily biased for instate applicants.

As for my comments regarding OP’s MCAT score, I agree that I said it somewhat harshly. But OP’s cGPA is low as well, and on AAMC’s MCAT and GPA table, OP’s stats put him/her at a 29.5% acceptance rate.

Also, if I’m not mistaken, medics can be in the reserves as well. Not necessarily active duty. Not 100% sure on that though. Though I’m not sure how much anyone would care.

I agree that military service is looked upon very favorably. But my whole point to OP was to expand their school list reasonably and check verified resources to see if the school is heavily biased for instate applicants.

As for my comments regarding OP’s MCAT score, I agree that I said it somewhat harshly. But OP’s cGPA is low as well, and on AAMC’s MCAT and GPA table, OP’s stats put him/her at a 29.5% acceptance rate.

Also, if I’m not mistaken, medics can be in the reserves as well. Not necessarily active duty. Not 100% sure on that though. Though I’m not sure how much anyone would care.
Are you a veteran?

Some context: Yes... I was active duty, and was stationed in Germany for two years while working with international medical teams. As far as my school list, I grew up in New Jersey, I am currently a resident of Arizona, and my sister and family live in Florida. ETSU and EVMS are military-friendly. I am also applying to 10 DO schools...

cGPA: 3.39 sGPA: 3.78 (3.9 last 80+ credits)
MCAT: 507
State of Residence: Arizona
Veteran: 4 years as an Army Medic
Race: White
Undergrad Institution: U of Arizona
Clinical Experience: 6000+ hours of clinical experience total. Was stationed in Landstuhl, Germany for two years and worked at LRMC in multiple departments. This is what inspired me to become a physician. Then spent 1.5 years at Fort Campbell, 1 year working in primary care clinic.
Research experience: 130 hours documenting the psychosocial response to COVID-19 - calling covid positive patients and interviewing them.
Shadowing experience: 100 virtual shadowing during the pandemic, 40 hours in-person.
Non-clinical volunteering: 75 hours total, mostly with habitat for humanity
Clinical volunteering: 500 hours total - Blood drives while in the army + I volunteered as a behavioral health tech over the past year.
Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list, on track to graduate Summa Cum Laude, Expert Field Medical Badge (18% pass rate), Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal.
Strong ties: Arizona, Grew up in NJ, Sister lives in Florida, Lived in Tennesee

^ from my previous post

Reactions: 2 users
Are you a veteran?

Some context: Yes... I was active duty, and was stationed in Germany for two years while working with international medical teams. As far as my school list, I grew up in New Jersey, I am currently a resident of Arizona, and my sister and family live in Florida. ETSU and EVMS are military-friendly. I am also applying to 10 DO schools...

cGPA: 3.39 sGPA: 3.78 (3.9 last 80+ credits)
MCAT: 507
State of Residence: Arizona
Veteran: 4 years as an Army Medic
Race: White
Undergrad Institution: U of Arizona
Clinical Experience: 6000+ hours of clinical experience total. Was stationed in Landstuhl, Germany for two years and worked at LRMC in multiple departments. This is what inspired me to become a physician. Then spent 1.5 years at Fort Campbell, 1 year working in primary care clinic.
Research experience: 130 hours documenting the psychosocial response to COVID-19 - calling covid positive patients and interviewing them.
Shadowing experience: 100 virtual shadowing during the pandemic, 40 hours in-person.
Non-clinical volunteering: 75 hours total, mostly with habitat for humanity
Clinical volunteering: 500 hours total - Blood drives while in the army + I volunteered as a behavioral health tech over the past year.
Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list, on track to graduate Summa Cum Laude, Expert Field Medical Badge (18% pass rate), Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal.
Strong ties: Arizona, Grew up in NJ, Sister lives in Florida, Lived in Tennesee

^ from my previous post

Wonderful! If you are looking for more schools to add, I also suggest SLU, Tufts, and USC. I also agree with adding Loma Linda. It’s still EXTREMELY early in the cycle so as long as you can be complete by the end of August, you’re totally fine. Although I would absolutely make sure to do Tulane as soon as possible, because for some reason they are very aggressive on the whole “rolling admissions” thing.

And no, I’m not a veteran. Although not sure what that has to do with anything….