Is it too late to apply after 3rd year if I take organic junior year?

Jul 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm wondering if I'll still be on track to apply to med school senior year of college if I will have completed orgo I and orgo II by the end of junior year. I realize that this may not give me a huge amount of time to study for the organic chemistry section of the MCAT. But what if I were to sort of self study orgo II a little bit after my junior fall during winter break and then prepare to take the MCAT in the spring (say February and then April if I need to retake)?

What are your thoughts?

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'm pretty sure the "standard" is to take organic during 2nd year and then study for the MCAT the following summer. Any particular reason you want to write during the academic year and not end of summer? It can be done, it's just unnecessarily difficult in my opinion.

OP
V
Jul 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
If I write the MCAT during the summer after my junior, wouldn't that be too late to send in applications on time?

I won't be able to take orgo 2nd year because I started this pre-med thing a bit late.

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Man why do people say "write" the MCAT. It kills me.

/rant

Sorry, had to get that out there.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Write is a common usuage for taking an exam is commonwealth countries. It comes from actually having to write answers on paper

Reactions: Strudel19

ac62994

2+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you take Biochem before Orgo?

Take the MCAT in April/May (you'll be done with Orgo 2) and if need be you can retake in June.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Did you take Biochem before Orgo?

Take the MCAT in April/May (you'll be done with Orgo 2) and if need be you can retake in June.
Never plan on a retake. Cumulative MCATs can have a negative affect. MCAT, I believe, focuses in Orgo1 and Biochem. You are more likely to have issues with workload of prepping along with coursework than with Orgo2 content. That you can plan for and work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holmwood