Is it too late to apply DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakedoctor123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I started my DO apps a while back and have all my transcripts and letter sent in to AACOMAS, but because of MD's secondaries, I have not had the time to complete the primary application to DO schools (need to finish extracurricular and cut my MD personal statement by some characters). Also, I have no DO letters of recommendation, so I would be only applying to schools that do not require it. Is the DO process similar to MD schools where apply early is best? What is early for DO and what is not? Do you guys think it is worth it in the cycle to apply DO right now, is it too late?

My GPA 3.9, MCAT 29.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have read, and according to what @Goro said in an earlier thread, it is still pretty early. Getting late would be around October/November. Some people with lower stats than yours even get accepted after submitting in December/January.

See if you can contact a DO in your area and shadow them sometime in August. Just google "osteopathic doctors in [insert town name]", call their office, and ask to shadow. If you can't get a DO letter, just apply to schools that don't need one.

Only thing that sticks out is you need an answer to "why DO?" Saying "I couldn't get into MD" is not going to cut it. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
The AOA also has some sort of guide to finding DOs, state by state.

If there's a DO school within driving distance, go visit them and chat up the DO faculty. My colleagues love it when this happens.

Reactions: 1 user