Is it too late to apply for DO now????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an undergraduate student (senior) who took MCAT this August. I dont' think I did too well. I am expecting around 22- 25 because that was my practice score range. Hence, I decided not to apply to MD school.

A week ago, I found out that I have an option to apply to DO school and become a doctor (I didn't know this before). I checked this forum and saw that many have already applied and got their secondaries. I am a bit disappointed because i haven't even fill out application. My question is, am i too late to get into a DO school? What are my chances? I have never shadowed a DO.

My GPA is 3.9.
I volunteered in hospital for a summer.
I did research for a year and a half in school.
I already have committee recommendation letter for MD school.

I am facing a great delimma. I could wait and take MCAT again, but I don't want to waste more years for a test.
I am thinking about applying to Carb. school as well. But DO school seems to be a very good option.
Any suggestion and comment will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I live in NY, which school should I go for?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not too late to apply to DO schools. Many of them don't require your Primary application to be received until after the first of the year. Good Luck!

It is not too late at all. Also, with a 3.9 and lets assume you get a 23 or 24, you stand a pretty decent chance assuming you apply broadly. Best of Luck and start writing that personal statement/lining up letters or rec.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely go for it. there's a lot of overlap between the aamc aacomas applications so it shouldn't take you too long to do it. if you aren't planning on shadowing a DO, definitely get yourself to an open house or get a book or something to read up on it. the last thing the schools (or any of us ;) ) want to hear is 'i didn't think i could get into an MD program in the states' good luck :)

Hi, I am an undergraduate student (senior) who took MCAT this August. I dont' think I did too well. I am expecting around 22- 25 because that was my practice score range. Hence, I decided not to apply to MD school.

A week ago, I found out that I have an option to apply to DO school and become a doctor (I didn't know this before). I checked this forum and saw that many have already applied and got their secondaries. I am a bit disappointed because i haven't even fill out application. My question is, am i too late to get into a DO school? What are my chances? I have never shadowed a DO.

My GPA is 3.9.
I volunteered in hospital for a summer.
I did research for a year and a half in school.
I already have committee recommendation letter for MD school.

I am facing a great delimma. I could wait and take MCAT again, but I don't want to waste more years for a test.
I am thinking about applying to Carb. school as well. But DO school seems to be a very good option.
Any suggestion and comment will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I live in NY, which school should I go for?
Go for it. Do it ASAP. Schools undergo rolling admissions though DO schools have later deadlines. It's nice to get opinions from other applicants, but you need to do your own research. Best of luck.

thanks for the encouraging input. I will try to finish the application asap. I just ask my school to send in the transcript. It took 4-6 weeks to get and verified :( .

Also, I will start doing research about DO.
Any particular recommendation about info on DO?

you should be fine i am in the same situation I have a 3.9 GPA with 29 MCAT score. Just apply to many schools as possible

Go for it. Apply broadly. If you want to stay in the Northeast, apply to NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM and PCOM. I was in a similiar situation as yours. I applied DO AFTER I received my august MCAT scores and am now a MS-1 :cool:

check out the aacom college info book 2007 -- you can read it free online. it puts pretty much anything you might want in a nutshell and provides links/suggestions for finding more in-depth info :) good luck!

thanks for the encouraging input. I will try to finish the application asap. I just ask my school to send in the transcript. It took 4-6 weeks to get and verified :( .

The information book paints a general picture of osteopathic medicine and each of those school. It's a good starting point, but not nearly enough. There are some main osteopathic website and books that are suggested in the information book that you may want to look at. Best of luck.

Try MSUCOM website. This is Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, awesome program. Just go to the site and you can research the school and the curriculum there. I would also call and speak with Kathie. Good luck to you.

nah, its not too late.. go ahead any apply :) Best of Luck with the application process!!

Try MSUCOM website. This is Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, awesome program. Just go to the site and you can research the school and the curriculum there. I would also call and speak with Kathie. Good luck to you.

..if you're a millionaire:laugh: (or instate)

Go for it!! Its not late. Good luck:luck: