Is it too late to apply for optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexia007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting very nervous. I realize that the application process online opened in july and it is now in the middle of october. I just lost track of time. I was just wondering if it's too late to start the application now? I still haven't taken the OAT and I plan on taking it late Novemeber or early December. Should I wait for next cycle? Am I in a really bad situation? Please be honest thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

the point of rolling admissions is that you can apply at any time within the cycle up until the final deadline. obviously the earlier you apply the better, but all you have to lose applying this cycle is the app fees. worst case scenario, you don't get in anywhere this cycle. then you already have your personal statement done, your LOR's ready and your OAT scores. then if you have to reapply, you basically have to pay fees again but then you're all set. Its only october, you might as well apply this cycle. this way, you still have a good chance of getting in with decent stats and don't potentially waste the year. i made that mistake last year and now even though I'm accepted for 2012, I'm miserable at my job for the next 9 months.

I am getting very nervous. I realize that the application process online opened in july and it is now in the middle of october. I just lost track of time. I was just wondering if it's too late to start the application now? I still haven't taken the OAT and I plan on taking it late Novemeber or early December. Should I wait for next cycle? Am I in a really bad situation? Please be honest thank you very much.

Im in a similar situation as you. I recently started stalking this forum so before that I wasnt aware that it was rolling admissions =(. I spent most of my summer prepping for the OAT and didnt bother too much with all the other aspects of the application. I took the OAT 2 weeks ago and more than likely will retake in jan because my scores arent the best. I'm still going to send out my application. Its not early in the cycle but I feel there's still hope and at worst I'll have everything ready for next cycle. Im stuck at a job im not crazy about also so getting in this cycle will make a world of difference for me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think most people take the OAT twice...so if u still haven't taken it once that's not that good...plus you have to wait like 3 months between taking them...and it took Optomcas like 1 month to process all my stuff and receive my transcripts and then another 2 weeks to receive my OAT scores to schools, and then it's taking another 2 weeks for my recommenders to submit their letters...just things to consider...I would take a year off, I'm REALLY happy i decided to take a year off :)

Im in a similar situation as you. I recently started stalking this forum so before that I wasnt aware that it was rolling admissions =(. I spent most of my summer prepping for the OAT and didnt bother too much with all the other aspects of the application. I took the OAT 2 weeks ago and more than likely will retake in jan because my scores arent the best. I'm still going to send out my application. Its not early in the cycle but I feel there's still hope and at worst I'll have everything ready for next cycle. Im stuck at a job im not crazy about also so getting in this cycle will make a world of difference for me.

you could just quit your job and find a better one...?

the point of rolling admissions is that you can apply at any time within the cycle up until the final deadline. obviously the earlier you apply the better, but all you have to lose applying this cycle is the app fees. worst case scenario, you don't get in anywhere this cycle. then you already have your personal statement done, your LOR's ready and your OAT scores. then if you have to reapply, you basically have to pay fees again but then you're all set. Its only october, you might as well apply this cycle. this way, you still have a good chance of getting in with decent stats and don't potentially waste the year. i made that mistake last year and now even though I'm accepted for 2012, I'm miserable at my job for the next 9 months.

Do you know if you have to rewrite your essays? I heard something like reusing the same essays wasn't allowed?

you could just quit your job and find a better one...?
I could quit but the job opportunities for someone with a bachelor in biology arent all that here in south Florida. The job market sucks down here =/

If you apply for this cycle, but didn't get into any of the schools that you wanted in. Do they save your LOR and transcripts so that you can apply for the next cycle?

If you apply for this cycle, but didn't get into any of the schools that you wanted in. Do they save your LOR and transcripts so that you can apply for the next cycle?

No they don't
They save everything else besides you're LOR's and Personal Essay. so you have to ask the people to submit them again or find new people.

I could quit but the job opportunities for someone with a bachelor in biology arent all that here in south Florida. The job market sucks down here =/

Plus nobody will want to hire and train someone who will be leaving in a year.

Lol you think the optometry job market is better in south florida? GOOD LUCK!

I just contacted several schools with that same question and almost everyone of them suggested I take the OAT in December to have a shot for class of 2016. If you wait later you run the risk of being put on a waiting list. If you dont get in during this admission there is another option...SALUS will be starting a 36 month program this year, you get the same hours and accreditation as you do with the 4 year program. So, even if you have to wait a year your graduation year will remain the same.

Last edited: