Is it too late to apply to D.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tapepsi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I realize that I'm a little late right now applying especially since I'm not even registered with AACOMAS. I had registered with AMCAS and applied to MD schools and decided to skip DO since I really wanted to go to PSU MD school. Being realistic now and realizing that there's a chance I probably will not get in, I want to apply to DO which is more appealing to me anyways (except for the less emphasis on research).

Stats: GPA: 3.93 cGPA/sGPA ; MCAT: 27P (VR: 9 , PS: 8, BS: 10)

Could my stats help me get in this late in the cycle? I realize my MCAT score is not that good but is it at least acceptable for D.O.?

Members don't see this ad.

So I realize that I'm a little late right now applying especially since I'm not even registered with AACOMAS. I had registered with AMCAS and applied to MD schools and decided to skip DO since I really wanted to go to PSU MD school. Being realistic now and realizing that there's a chance I probably will not get in, I want to apply to DO which is more appealing to me anyways (except for the less emphasis on research).

Could my stats help me get in this late in the cycle? I realize my MCAT score is not that good but is it at least acceptable for D.O.?

I would probably apply. Given that you already applied MD, you should have all of your materials ready to go (letters, personal statment, resume, etc). Do you have a DO LOR? (some schools require it). It could take a while to get verified at this point in the cycle, so start working on any secondaries you can. Your GPA is above average and your MCAT is average or perhaps slightly above for some DO schools, so that will likely help. I am just applying for the first time this year, so I am not an expert, that is just my opinion. Best of luck!

I would probably apply. Given that you already applied MD, you should have all of your materials ready to go (letters, personal statment, resume, etc). Do you have a DO LOR? (some schools require it). It could take a while to get verified at this point in the cycle, so start working on any secondaries you can. Your GPA is above average and your MCAT is average or perhaps slightly above for some DO schools, so that will likely help. I am just applying for the first time this year, so I am not an expert, that is just my opinion. Best of luck!

No what is a DO LOR? Also I'm not exactly sure how the LOR's work exactly since my letters were sent by my school directly to AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
No what is a DO LOR? Also I'm not exactly sure how the LOR's work exactly since my letters were sent by my school directly to AMCAS.

There are plenty of schools that REQUIRE a letter of recommendation from a DO, and will not substitute a MD LOR. Your going to proabably have to shadow a DO to get one, but they usually know that you need one and will be down to help you out (my experience at least). I'm using interfolio to send out my LOR's, I would check into something like that if I were you.

There are plenty of schools that REQUIRE a letter of recommendation from a DO, and will not substitute a MD LOR. Your going to proabably have to shadow a DO to get one, but they usually know that you need one and will be down to help you out (my experience at least). I'm using interfolio to send out my LOR's, I would check into something like that if I were you.

Of course the day I write this I get an invitation from PSU (the greatest irony ever!!). Yeah I only have a MD LOR and have absolutely no time to shadow a DO right now. Hmm...do you know where I'd be able to look online to see which ones do or not? Or do I need to visit each individual website?

Start calling DOs and see if any would be willing to write a letter for you after meeting with you to discuss the profession. That might be more feasible than doing DO shadowing this late in the game. If there is a nice one out there who likes helping students out you may luck out. :)

Of course the day I write this I get an invitation from PSU (the greatest irony ever!!). Yeah I only have a MD LOR and have absolutely no time to shadow a DO right now. Hmm...do you know where I'd be able to look online to see which ones do or not? Or do I need to visit each individual website?
Congrats on the interview!
Des Moines University lets you substitute an MD letter for the DO one. I'd suggest applying there; it's a great school.

Apply ASAP. Your stats will sure land you many interviews. Rest depend on your other application strengths

It's not too late, not at all. Get those secondaries done and you will be fine.

Start calling DOs and see if any would be willing to write a letter for you after meeting with you to discuss the profession. That might be more feasible than doing DO shadowing this late in the game. If there is a nice one out there who likes helping students out you may luck out. :)

That's a great idea and would definitely work I'm just afraid that the LOR may not be that great since he/she only met with me once. Do you know what I mean?

Thank you so much Catalystik!! As always, you're on top of things. By the way you have the best profile picture. :thumbup:

Congrats on the interview!
Des Moines University lets you substitute an MD letter for the DO one. I'd suggest applying there; it's a great school.

Thank you! Yeah I heard Des Moines University is a great school so I will definitely check that out.