Is it too late to apply to SGU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctora Foxy

Meow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The deadline was June 15th last time I checked (a few months ago). If I apply in May, do I have a chance of admission for Fall 2002 matriculation?

Members don't see this ad.

As of last week the fall class was not full, but it may fill before the deadline. I would put your application in as soon as you can. If you want any specific info about sgu, pm me

Roadie

Hi Dra. Foxy,
Actually I had recieved a call from a lady in the admission's office and asked her about whether or not it was too late to apply. She had told me that there was still some spots left for the August class, but it is best to have all your applications and recommendations processed a.s.a.p for a good shot and a quickly scheduled interview. My advice is to apply as soon as possible. The application and everything don't take too long to complete. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
They have had my recommendations and recent transcript for a while. I even have the application all fileld out. The only thing I have left to do is that little health care essay and sign the check.

I'm scared that it would be the only school I get into. If I retake the MCATS in August, I could probably get in somewhere in the U.S. So I'm a little hesitant to apply. My family thinks I should, because my uncle (a doctor) knows a lot of succesful doctors who went to SGU. My dermatologist went there too, but he transferred.

Do you think I should apply anyway? What if I get in, but decide to apply to US schools and St George's next year. Would they let me in again? I really only want to go if it is a last resort.

Dra. Foxy,
If you don't get accepted anywhere this year you should apply to the med schools in Puerto Rico.
There are 2 schools there with full U.S. accreditation, that way you won't be considered an FMG when you apply for residency. The admissions statistics aren't as high as for mainland U.S. schools. Average GPA around 3.4 MCAT about 25.

Well I think that it is probably a good idea to apply anyways, I'm in such a similar situation about going, but I think that having applied and knowing that there is that opportunity is good, even if you do decide not to go. As well, in terms of next year, if you do apply to SGU and to a US school again, I think that the school might not necessarily hold it against you. I have heard of a few people who are accepted, and decide not to go, usually due to financial reasons, but reapply again once things are more organized for them, they simply indicate those circumstances on the application. I don't know, I guess in my situation I decided that I should send my application and see the outcome. Hope that helps!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•They have had my recommendations and recent transcript for a while. I even have the application all fileld out. The only thing I have left to do is that little health care essay and sign the check.

I'm scared that it would be the only school I get into. If I retake the MCATS in August, I could probably get in somewhere in the U.S. So I'm a little hesitant to apply. My family thinks I should, because my uncle (a doctor) knows a lot of succesful doctors who went to SGU. My dermatologist went there too, but he transferred.

Do you think I should apply anyway? What if I get in, but decide to apply to US schools and St George's next year. Would they let me in again? I really only want to go if it is a last resort.•••••you should definately apply. The school is very friendly toward helping you transfer or enter first year into a us school. They are not naive enough to believe that SGU is your first choice. again, there are specific reasons why I think it is in your best interest to apply now. I won't get into them here. let me know if you have any specific questions

roadie

If you really feel that retaking the MCATs would "probably"get you in somewhere in the US then you should devote yourself to this goal and reapply.While SGU is a fine school and its graduates get decent post graduate positions,your choice of hospitals and residencies will be markedly limited compared to aattending a US school.For example you mentioned an interest in Dermatology and there is very little chance of getting into that field from a non US school,no matter how well you do.

The amount of ****ty advice on these boards is stunning at times. Listen to the above poster.

Retake the MCATS and apply to MD and DO schools the next cycle (unless you are adamant about an MD degree). Do whatever else you can to buff up your application. PLENTY of people apply multiple times (I took 3). If you are still in college now, you have PLENTY of time.

For all any of us know, posters on this board are recruiters in disguise (it has been rumored before).

A US medical school gives you far and away unquestionably more options. So what if it takes you some extra time. I wouldn't go to a beach school unless it was my absolute last resort. Yeah, I know about the guy who scored 266 on Step I and the one who got a prestigious residency somewhere - but these cases are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.