Is it too late to apply? (Very depressed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laney85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need your help. And please tell me honestly... is it too late to apply for 2009 cycle? Basically, I applied for 2008 cycle, but due to unfortunate circumstances, I did not take the DAT so by then, it was too late. Last year was very bad for me (my dad lost his job and we were about to lose the house, so I made the decision to work full time and help pay for the mortgage). I still want to pursue dentistry, so I prepared myself for 2009 by going taking Kaplan classes.

The problem is, I haven't taken the DAT yet. So should I even bother submitting my application? Or is it too late for this cycle and that I should wait for 2010 instead? If so, 2 years will have passed... would that reflect badly on my application? Will the adcomms question this?

I don't want to give up hope, but at the same time, I've invested too much (I took out an extra $15K loan for my post-bacc classes, Kaplan classes, etc.) Even though I did well on my post-bac classes (got all A's); I keep doing poorly on my DAT practice tests. I don't know if it's because I couldn't focus and I keep worrying about our financial problems (just recently my dad had a stroke and we are worried about his medical bills since he doesn't have medical insurance).

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I usually don't post about such things and just keep everything to myself. So back to the question, is it too late to apply? Should I just go for it and submit my application? Part of the reason preventing me from submitting the application are the fees. I don't want to spend all those fees again if it's too late for this cycle and won't have a chance getting in since I haven't even taken the DAT yet.

Any advice would be great... thanks so much!

Melanie

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know if it is too late to apply.
I have a friend at Tufts (1st yr d-student) who told me she applied late like you. She got an interview mid-Feb and was accepted.

I believe what people will tell you is that your chances might be lower than if you had applied earlier.

However, I always hear stories about ppl that applied late and got in.
I guess it depends on you and your application but I still think it is possible :D
In all cases, I wish you the best! GL with everything :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Melanie, most schools are already closed for applications.....I believe a few have a cut-off by Dec. 1st.....

But, it's SOOO late in the cycle & you still haven't even taken your DAT OR submitted your transcripts/LOR's....To me, it'd be a waste to apply...If it were me, I'd wait till May/June of next year......Also keep in mind that you'd have to totally ROCK the DAT to even stand a chance this late in the cycle (no pressure :scared:)...
What are your stats??? Unless you have SUPER-STELLAR stats I just don't think you'd get in, especially since you'd be under 100's or even close to a 1000 of applicants who've ALREADY had their DAT + everything submitted since June...

Take your DAT when you're ready...Take the time to retest (if needed) and get your transcripts/LOR's ready for next years cycle..

Good Luck, with whatever decision u choose ;)

Yeah Melanie, most schools are already closed for applications.....I believe a few have a cut-off by Dec. 1st.....

But, it's SOOO late in the cycle & you still haven't even taken your DAT OR submitted your transcripts/LOR's....To me, it'd be a waste to apply...If it were me, I'd wait till May/June of next year......Also keep in mind that you'd have to totally ROCK the DAT to even stand a chance this late in the cycle (no pressure :scared:)...
What are your stats??? Unless you have SUPER-STELLAR stats I just don't think you'd get in, especially since you'd be under 100's or even close to a 1000 of applicants who've ALREADY had their DAT + everything submitted since June...

Take your DAT when you're ready...Take the time to retest (if needed) and get your transcripts/LOR's ready for next years cycle..

Good Luck, with whatever decision u choose ;)
Start getting your LOR right now for MAY. Submit your complete application in JUNE at the latest (for most schools).

Short answer: Yes, way too late, but possible.

You could also be hit by lightning 3 x's in a row. Start building your app for next year and save quite a bit of $$

I would suggest waiting until next year to apply. It takes a while for you to get all the application documents in, plus you have to give your professors time to write the LORs, so I would just wait until next cycle. Study hard for your DAT, start asking professors for LORs, and apply early that way you can have the best chance to get as many interviews as possible. Don't worry about it being 2 years after you have received your bachelors degree, as long as you have been doing constructive things with your time off, I don't think they care.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, but I would honestly save the money right now and apply in May. Go ahead and get your LORs and start studying for your DAT, which I would advise taking in April/May. That way, if you don't do as well as you hoped, you can re-take in August and still not be too late.

I totally agree with the other posters - its too late to apply unless you have a 3.9+ with a 24+ DAT. Interviews and acceptances go on a rolling admission basis so its best to apply early. Nearly half the applicants for a given cycle are submitted by August first and if you want to be considered an early applicant I would submit by the end of June (applications become available mid May). Take your time and get ready for the DAT and take it when ready. Then get your application in early for the next cycle and save your money right now. Admissions committees will not look down on your situation so don't worry at all about that. Just keep reviewing your DAT matieral and take the exam when you feel you are ready. It sucks to have to wait an extra year, but you really don't have much of a shot right now so I would wait. Good luck!

Most schools require you to have the DAT written by the fall.. so I am afraid it might be too late for you.
But you can always apply next cycle.

Hi everyone! I need your help. And please tell me honestly... is it too late to apply for 2009 cycle? Basically, I applied for 2008 cycle, but due to unfortunate circumstances, I did not take the DAT so by then, it was too late. Last year was very bad for me (my dad lost his job and we were about to lose the house, so I made the decision to work full time and help pay for the mortgage). I still want to pursue dentistry, so I prepared myself for 2009 by going taking Kaplan classes.

The problem is, I haven't taken the DAT yet. So should I even bother submitting my application? Or is it too late for this cycle and that I should wait for 2010 instead? If so, 2 years will have passed... would that reflect badly on my application? Will the adcomms question this?

I don't want to give up hope, but at the same time, I've invested too much (I took out an extra $15K loan for my post-bacc classes, Kaplan classes, etc.) Even though I did well on my post-bac classes (got all A's); I keep doing poorly on my DAT practice tests. I don't know if it's because I couldn't focus and I keep worrying about our financial problems (just recently my dad had a stroke and we are worried about his medical bills since he doesn't have medical insurance).

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I usually don't post about such things and just keep everything to myself. So back to the question, is it too late to apply? Should I just go for it and submit my application? Part of the reason preventing me from submitting the application are the fees. I don't want to spend all those fees again if it's too late for this cycle and won't have a chance getting in since I haven't even taken the DAT yet.

Any advice would be great... thanks so much!

Melanie

I can't tell you what to do... But, here are some of my thoughts on your situation.

1. Going to dental school itself means a huge debt (unless daddy is a multi millionaire). With that said, the debt you'll incur going to d school will faaar outweigh all the $$ you've spent for post bacc classes and kaplan.

2. For the DAT, you can do it if you study hard - if you've been able to pull straight As in classes, just buckling down and studying can get you your score.... This means you would have to take time off from work- I reccomend about 1.5 months. Next, wake up and study using a strict regiment - put in solid 4-8 hours a day, study like it's a full time job because the pay off at the end is worthit.

3. Applying right now: Have you taken the DAT so far? How did you do? If you do have a 4.0 gpa, get a 20+ and you are gauranteed acceptance. IF such is not the case, you aren't TOO late but be aware that many school's deadlkines have passed. Moreover, do you really wanna spend the 1500$ it'll cost to apply with less than a full shot of getting in?

IT's your call, personally, i'd save the money work a year till things stabilize in the family...cuz ppl apply to be dentist when they are in their 30s 40s and sometimes even early 50s!!! soo, just cuz u wait a couple years it ain't too bad...just make sure it's close enough so your school grades or what ev don't get discounted.

Sorry to hear about what has been happening with your family. I think it is too late to apply for this year but it is perfect time to get prepared for next year's cycle. I would make sure you have a good amount of observing/shadowing hours, good lors, and prepared for the DAT.

Start working with professors to get good lors. 2 science professors and a general dentist...I have found those fulfill the requirements of most schools.

Get involved in the dental community locally...get to know some dental professionals by shadowing.

Start studying for the DAT. Try studying something else than Kaplan. Kaplan does not do an adequate job of preparing most for the DAT. Try the DAT Destroyer, CRACK the PAT, or Topscore. Invest heavily in different study guides and use them to your advantage. Firgure out your weaknesses and improve. Take the DAT late spring in May at the latest.

Submit your application as early as possible. It def pays when you don't have the best stats.

Hope things improve for you. You have found a good place to get advice so thats a start!

Work on your personal statement, study for the DAT, submit your application 5/15/09 and achieve unquestionable sucess if your stats are good.

Best of luck

Your willingness to make the sacrifices that you've made to help out your family is admirable and will not go unnoticed... be sure to let schools know about your circumstances when you apply next cycle.

Submit everything on AADSAS by the end of June or earlier if possible.

As far as the DAT goes... study hard for a good 1-2 months. Summer is usually an ideal time as you don't have to worry about classes and can still work if you want to make $. Also, let Kaplan know that you want your online access to be extended until you take the DAT. They want satisfied customers so they'll likely accommodate you. Take a practice test once a week. Take the real DAT sometime in July. Do not take it unless you're sure you're ready as you'll have to wait another 3 months to take it again and that will delay your application. After you finish your DAT, sit back and watch the interview offers roll in.

Wow, I did not expect that many replies to my post. Thanks everyone.. you've all given me hope :)

I actually have a committee letter ready last year (from science profs and my dentist I shadowed earlier last year), but didn't give the go signal to send them in yet. I'm not sure if it needs to be updated or not. I guess I'll have to ask my pre-health advisor about it. All I'm missing really are the DAT scores. And just to be clear, I haven't taken the DAT yet. I took practice tests and got consistently low scores though :(

I graduated with a non-science major and my gpa is just average (3.33). I decided to pursue dentistry and took up postbacc classes(bio, physics, chem, orgo, calc), and this time around I took it more seriously. Anyway, those are my stats. I've also shadowed last year but stopped because of my job... thanks for the advice, small nugget.. I will go back and hopefully my dentist won't mind if I shadowed him again

I will take the majority of the advice here and apply next year. Hopefully by then, I will be more focused and my family situation will improve (my parents are planning on selling the house and getting a smaller apartment)

Thank you so much again, it really made me feel better reading all your replies :) Sometimes I feel I wasted 2 years, but I shouldnt worry about it too much and just focus on my DAT.

Oh and Northside, my Kaplan online access has expired, so not sure if they can re-open it again... but I will ask them if they can. I'm going to try other study guides as some of you suggested (I do have destroyer though)

Thanks again for all your support and advice!! Good luck to everyone here and congratulations if you got in (I know, still in December.. :)

Melanie

To improve on the DAT, I recommend going through the DAT destroyer twice, reading a bio textbook (just sections covered in the DAT), and using TOP ScorePro to practice the PAT on the computer.

Good luck and apply early!

I kno exactly how u feel. My parents bought their first home in april and my dad lost his job a month afterward. I spent my summer working 2 jobs, trying to help my parents pay the mortgage. I kno what it feels like to have that added weight on ur shoulders, i took bio 2 in the summer as well, and it really took a shot at my grade, i got a B in that class, i dont remember any of the meterial, im gonna have to relearn it for the DAT soon. (which i definitely am not looking forward to doin) Look nothing good in this life goes unrewarded. And adcoms will only admire ur perserverance, responsibilty, and maturity. In economic times like these those who fight the real life battles are looked up to. Even if your DAT was not as competative as you wanted it, the fact that you worked a full time job to help ur family can be the culprit. They wont judge u as harshly, u obviously had a crisis to deal with that puts u at a disadvantage. That itself says alot obout ur personality, and adcoms will love to see that. Just be sure not to put together a sob story for them in ur personal statement, then ull sound desperate.

I was plannign to apply the next cycle for dental school puting me through college in like 2.5/3 years, and starting Dschool fresh out of that would be suicide. I dont wanna dread the times i could have had in college. I was in a rush to finish a get out to support my family. I was advised to save my money and put my best foot forward when im ready and make it worth it, instead of takig my chances. My advice to you. Start studying for the DAT from now. take it in the spring, apply for the next cycle. Dont gamble this cycle.

You can use ur situation to your advantage. If you dont work hard for something then its really not worth having. Best of Luck, wish you the best. :thumbup:

Thank you, both!

Sublimation, I'm glad you posted your story as well! I know what you mean, and there was a time were I questioned where my priorities should lie. Helping out my family or pursuing my dream. I realize that my family and my dream are both important to me... I just need to be more organized and focused in dealing with both. As most of you had said, the big payoff will come at the end.

I realize I'm not the only one who has problems, and I should be stronger when dealing with such obstacles. Actually, I wasn't even thinking of revising my PS... but now that you mentioned it, I should briefly note what I've been doing for the past year.

Thanks again all, and Sublimation, good luck to you as well!! :)

Melanie