Is it too late to consider MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have long research experience (3.5yrs). But I am applying for MD this June. But somehow I have become confused about whether I want to do MD/PhD instead. Is it too late? My sGPA is only 3.7 and my total GPA is 3.8. MCAT is mediocre (31S), but retaking it this month (shooting for higher 30s). I don't have any papers published. What should I consider when I think about going for MD/PhD instead of MD only? Also, can you apply to MD programs only at certain schools and MD/PhDs at other schools?
This last minute confusion is NOT the best thing that could have happened.

Oh, and should I just consider taking 2 years btwn undergrad and grad to consider MD/PhD? (I really don't want to...)

Members don't see this ad.

- Don't burn an extra year
- At schools which will consider you for MD and MD/PhD simultaneously, do that
- Retake MCAT this once, but do not obsess over this
- Some schools will let you transfer from MD to MD/PhD as an MS1 or MS2. If you think you are really interested, apply to some schools where that is common.
- Certainly you can apply MD at some and MD/PhD at others.

I was considering another year off, because of this last minute confusion. Especially, since I heard that it is extremely difficult to get into an MD/PhD program. I heard that they grill you with questions during the interview (if you even get that far). How much more competitive are the MD/PhD programs when compared to only MD programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have long research experience (3.5yrs). But I am applying for MD this June. But somehow I have become confused about whether I want to do MD/PhD instead. Is it too late? My sGPA is only 3.7 and my total GPA is 3.8. MCAT is mediocre (31S), but retaking it this month (shooting for higher 30s). I don't have any papers published. What should I consider when I think about going for MD/PhD instead of MD only? Also, can you apply to MD programs only at certain schools and MD/PhDs at other schools?
This last minute confusion is NOT the best thing that could have happened.

Oh, and should I just consider taking 2 years btwn undergrad and grad to consider MD/PhD? (I really don't want to...)

Good god, don't retake the MCAT and don't back out of this application cycle. get into a good MD program with MSTP and try to join internally. Otherwise you will waste a lot of time.

Isn't 31S definitely too low? I think so.