Is it too late to start AMCAS application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwnageMobile

is just a moniker.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got a 37P (P15 V9 B13), and now I'm wrestling with the idea of not taking a year off before applying (the previous plan).

The problem: I haven't started my application or letters of recomendation.

In your opinions and expierence, is it too late to start this process and have an "early" application? (It seems to me that getting your app in early is one of the best things to do -> just look at mdapplicants.com)

Nage

Members don't see this ad.

OwnageMobile said:
Ok, so I got a 37P (P15 V9 B13), and now I'm wrestling with the idea of not taking a year off before applying (the previous plan).

The problem: I haven't started my application or letters or recomendation.

In your opinions and expierence, is it too late to start this process and have an "early" application? (It seems to me that getting your app in early is one of the best things to do -> just look at mdapplicants.com)

Nage

I am still in the earlier stages of my application, but plan on sending it in within the next couple of weeks. From what I have heard, submitting anytime in June or July is still considered "early." Remember, that many people's applications won't be looked at until after the results come in for the August MCAT. But I would definitely start asking for LOR's soon, to ensure they will be ready when you need them. Good luck!! :luck: :luck: :)

I have asked for LOR 1 1/2 months ago and I'm still don't have them all. If your school sends commitee letter, then that adds another 3 weeks. The PS can be finished in 1 week if you concentrate. But the good thing is you can submit AAMCAS without the LORS. LORS are used for secondaries. However, if you submit AAMCAS, then you have to be sure you will submit LORS in time for secondaries. Start on your PS in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of time - but get moving now!

The earliest you'd possibly need your letters of rec would be July, and that is if you get your personal statement finished and your app submitted ASAP (which you should do.)

Good luck! :luck:

The only difficult part is the LORs. Figure out a way to nicely inform the people you ask that this is a rush. Most people will understand; just be honest, and say that you decided to apply now after receiving an excellent MCAT score.

Actually filling out AMCAS takes no time at all (okay, it's annoying, but it won't take more than a few hours). And writing a PS only takes as long as it takes; just sit down now, tonight, with a blank document, and write everything that comes to you, without thinking of it as a PS. Then, in the next few days, look through that and pick out what would make a good PS. Write up a draft, and show it to some people for advice. Don't be afraid to throw away bad drafts and start over. I started over after over a month working on my first statement! I really think if you do all of this stuff and spend time working on it every day you can write a first rate PS within a few weeks.

Also don't forget to send transcript requests ASAP.

Congrats on the score :) Now go enjoy AMCAS :laugh:

You can definitely start now and still be early. Try to finish the AMCAS before June and arrange to have your letters done by July. That should put you in good shape to still be relatively "early." Like some previous posters have said, the AMCAS itself is pretty easy to fill out - you can probably do the bulk of it in a day or two. It's just the personal statement that takes some more time (as it certainly should).

I was waiting on MCAT scores as well...

Getting transcripts will take less time than writing a PS, should I wait until my application is submitted to have them sent to AMCAS? I'd get them now, but I'd be afraid they'd get lost as AMCAS doesn't know who I am yet. ?.

Or can I begin my app w/o the PS to get a file started?

Mr. Freeze said:
I was waiting on MCAT scores as well...

Getting transcripts will take less time than writing a PS, should I wait until my application is submitted to have them sent to AMCAS? I'd get them now, but I'd be afraid they'd get lost as AMCAS doesn't know who I am yet. ?.

Or can I begin my app w/o the PS to get a file started?

You can begin the application, and add the personal statement in last. however, you cannot submit it without the personal statement. Or rather, I should state that submitting without the statement will mean automatic rejection.

That said, once you start your AMCAS, there will be a form you'll have to print directly from the application for transcript requests.

Also, you can use the same username and password you did for the MCAT to start your amcas, so you won't need to reregister for a new account.

One submitted, the only things that you can change include contact information and number of schools you want to apply to. In other words, you can submit to other schools after initial submission.

Each school costs 30 dollars after the first school. The first one costs 160 dollars.

Good luck.

lizanne11 said:
I am still in the earlier stages of my application, but plan on sending it in within the next couple of weeks. From what I have heard, submitting anytime in June or July is still considered "early." Remember, that many people's applications won't be looked at until after the results come in for the August MCAT. But I would definitely start asking for LOR's soon, to ensure they will be ready when you need them. Good luck!! :luck: :luck: :)

Wait, I'm confused...i thought they don't review anyone's AMCAS until after august, meaning that your letters aren't needed until late summer/early fall?

JayQuah said:
Wait, I'm confused...i thought they don't review anyone's AMCAS until after august, meaning that your letters aren't needed until late summer/early fall?

July is when schools officially start looking at most people's AMCAS. Soon after the secondaries start rolling in, so that would be August or so. Then in about September the first interviews start, with the earliest acceptances outside of EDP acceptances being in about October.

I just finished the application process and I did not submit my AMCAS until October 15th last year!!!

I would not recommend waiting this long, but if you are a good applicant, time is not a huge factor. Earlier is better, don't get me wrong, but don't freak out--especially in June! Remember that this site is full of psycho pre-meds and at times you will feel inadequate and behind when it's not that serious. Be diligent but do quality work. Don't submit your app before you are ready just to get it in earlier than other people.

I also didn't have my LORs done until much later than now. You don't need them until you submit secondaries--but start laying some ground work and telling people you will need them.

Also, I took a year off and it's been great and I feel my application was stronger and my attitude as an applicant was more reasonable. Think that decision through.

Good luck.