Is it too late to start AuD program at age 41?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jushine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been accepted at one of state universities for this fall.
Married with 3 children.
So far, saved around 150 grand but at first year I have to pay
out-of-state tuition. Without funding, I suppose to graduate with
debt 4 years later.

I'm wondering if this is a wise choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's never too late if you're talking about injecting happiness and fulfillment into your life.

BTW, are you SURE you won't have to pay out-of-state tuition after the first year? Most schools I'm aware of state that once you're classified as in or out of state, then that classification remains throughout your entire program.

From my experience, schools are very rigid about this policy. Don't just assume everything will be easily taken care of in the future. Get it in WRITING.

I had this happen to me during undergrad.

There are many people who start the profession once their life is more established than others. I dont think it is too late for anyone to persue a 4 year degree. If you are worried about funding, I would check all of your options first. You may want to apply for FAFSA and ask the university if there are any more options for you. If it means you doing what you have always wanted to do.. then do it!

Have fun and good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
about half the students in my cohort are making a second or third career in audiology, including me. the ages of the career-switchers range from 25-35. none of us are married or have kids though.

it is definitely a big adjustment to make from the working world. the first semester was really hard, but it's getting easier now that we've made the transition.

having no guilt-free off-time is hard. and not knowing what i'm doing after being an expert on something is also hard.

but every successful clinical experience i have is inspirational and encouraging.

4 years of being a student without an income is definitely a source of stress for me, and i wish i had known about indiana's 3-yr program when i was applying last year.

just trying to look on the bright side which is at the end of this i'll be a professional and able to help people and make a lot more money than i was before!

It's never too late to go back to school (or start the AuD program)! After all, this is you life--do what makes you happy!:)

Is there any way you could qualify for "in-state" status? Talk to the Comm. Dis. department & see what they can do for you. You have a lot of money saved, which could probably carry you through the program for at least 2 yrs.+ (only used for education, not room/board, etc.). I know at some universities, you have to live in that state for a certain # of months, then can claim in-state residency (another option).

But definitely go for it!

---Wait, how old are your children? Would you be living close to the program/commuting? How often would you be able to see them? How do they feel about you going back to school? Will they adjust to you being away or studying for hours on end?--When I started my first grad program, there was a woman who was married with 3 children (her commute home-school was like 1hr-1.5 hrs). They were preteen-teenage years, and her family was very supportive of her going back to school....

Last edited:
Normally I would ask if you planned to save any money for your children's college educations, but I checked on the acceptance thread, and you are talking about UF, right? The state of Florida has a fantastic scholarship program called Bright Futures that is very easy to qualify for. If your children are getting somewhat close to college age, they would be very likely to benefit from Bright Futures. If they're younger, then they may not benefit because the program is getting very expensive for the state. Just thought I would mention it in case this is something you are concerned about.

Thanks for all helpful comments. My children are 8, 4, 2 old. Yeah, they are yonger and I'm getting older, I think there is time to prepare for them to get into higher educations though. As a resident in GA, I have no choice to avoid "out-of-state" because in GA no univeristy or college has AuD program. I'm going to double check the Univ. of Florida will treat me as in-state student
once I finish my first year. If I should pay additional tuition for all four years then I can't go for it. Florida state charges much more expensive tuition for out-of-state student than any other sothern states. Alternatively, I'm considering Auburn or 2011 admission for in-state status.

Last edited:
It is absolutely not too late Jushine... I know a 4th year student in an Audiology program who is in his 50s.

Good luck to you as you begin this challenging and exciting new chapter in your life!

I receive very bad news from the univ. that they have changed tuition rules last year and now when students start with out-of-state residency, they cannot change during the course of the program.

Only option I can choose is to defer my admission by one year and move to Florida establishing residency during that year. Wish me luck.

That's what I figured. Better to find out now, though. At least you have a gameplan.

Oh no! If you are deferring though, you may want to apply to other programs too. Sometimes out of state schools or private schools offer substantial scholarships that make them competitive with in state schools.

If you go for it now, there are all sorts of loan forgiveneness and tuition assistance programs, as well as tax credits for the tuition you do pay. Every dollar helps right?!

Good luck! You can do it!

Finally I can get an assistanship from USF. Still no answer from UF.
So, I choose new start at Tampa, Fl.
I deeply appreciate your considering remarks for me.

Congrats! I think you'll like being in the Tampa-St. Pete area better anyway. Good luck!

You have saved $150,000? Is that all just for school? Wow -- I think that is a lot. My first year at an AuD program at a private university is definitely not going to cost me a quarter of that. (My program gave scholarships to many of us first-years, cutting tuition in half for us). I think all of my tuition for all 4 years will be well under $100,000, because in the 4th year, there are no classes, so tuition will be lower that year too (and with any luck, I will get a paid externship, but I am prepared to take an unpaid one too.)

But my numbers don't include child care. I am an older student too, and my children are also older than yours so don't need as much supervision, but child care and your schedule is another thing to consider. With my program's evening classes, and me getting home at 9 pm, I would be hating it it if my kids were really young. In fact, that is part of the reason I put it off until they were a little older.