Is it too late to submit application to DO school in September for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gothedistance29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate if I can receive input regarding my situation.

-non-traditional, graduated with BS in 2010 in Biochemistry from UoCalifornia Santa Barbara, GPA 3.5 for my upper-division years (or more if counting CC classes and other 4-year institutions), with 2F's in 2 bio classes in those (starting out all A's in UCSB but encountering major issues that resulted in horrible final quarters there)

-MCAT in July of 514 (91%) with Physical/Chem at 129, Verbal at 126, Bio at 130, Psy/Soc at 129. 1st MCAT ever.

-been working for a pharmaceutical company for the past 4 years, dealing with quality control and method development for various instruments

-very little EC experience, just started Clinical Care Extender Program in a hospital, been shadowing a few MD and DO but doubt if they will write good rec letter. Shadowing Physical Therapists and could get very good rec letters from them.

-Cannot get good rec letters from Professors from UCSB (too long ago) but I can get good ones from adjunct professors from 4-year state college where I have taken classes.

-Been divided between putting in my application in this year or wait to re-take the MCAT and apply again next year for both MD and DO school.

Would appreciate if anyone can shed a light on my chances and whether it is TOO late for me to apply to DO schools this cycle?

Thank you very much.

-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
December is late, Sept is not.

Reactions: 4 users
I dont think it is too late but your lack of patient contact and shadowing might sink your app if you apply this cycle. On the other hand I have heard of people with good stats getting in somewhere if they have at least minimal ECs, so it might be worth applying if you can get a DO letter. So I cant really say, but either way dont retake the MCAT, you received a good score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all your response. So DO schools have a slightly different schedule than MD schools? Although they both have deadlines in October or November, I keep hearing that application submitted to MD schools in August is also considered late already. So I guess that unwritten rule for MD cut-off point of August does not apply to DO schools?

Thank you for all your response. So DO schools have a slightly different schedule than MD schools? Although they both have deadlines in October or November, I keep hearing that application submitted to MD schools in August is also considered late already. So I guess that unwritten rule for MD cut-off point of August does not apply to DO schools?

You will be okay even if your application is sent early October especially with your stats. A good chunk of deadlines on the DO side are in January actually (but you don't want to apply then). As for the last question, you are correct the cut-off rule is later.

Don't pay attention to deadlines, they really don't mean anything when it comes to rolling admissions. Deadlines for most DO schools this cycle are early next year. With a 3.5 and 91st percentile you're a shoe in, so you'll be competitive even later in the cycle. However, it's still in your best interest to apply ASAP.

Don't pay attention to deadlines, they really don't mean anything when it comes to rolling admissions. Deadlines for most DO schools this cycle are early next year. With a 3.5 and 91st percentile you're a shoe in, so you'll be competitive even later in the cycle. However, it's still in your best interest to apply ASAP.

You think so, even though he just started clinical volunteering and shadowing? Im not saying I disagree, Im genuinely asking because on SDN those are considered as important as your GPA and MCAT, yet most people I know in real life dont consider them that important. I suspect they matter otherwise you wouldnt see people focusing so much on them. But the question is, how much do they matter?

You think so, even though he just started clinical volunteering and shadowing? Im not saying I disagree, Im genuinely asking because on SDN those are considered as important as your GPA and MCAT, yet most people I know in real life dont consider them that important. I suspect they matter otherwise you wouldnt see people focusing so much on them. But the question is, how much do they matter?

I don't think they're as important compared to MCAT and GPA, but that's just my opinion. I definitely don't see extensive volunteering or shadowing making up for a poor GPA, but the other way around I can see possible, so long as at least something is there. Some is better than none.

I don't think they're as important compared to MCAT and GPA, but that's just my opinion. I definitely don't see extensive volunteering or shadowing making up for a poor GPA, but the other way around I can see possible, so long as at least something is there. Some is better than none.

Right I agree, I guess I was just saying I didnt know if it was right to call him a "shoe in" and might be setting his expectations too high. I know I am still questioning whether I should send out secondaries once I am verified or wait for the next cycle where I can apply day 1 with better ECs(I have about 120 hrs hospital volunteering and 20 hrs shadowing, plus some other non clinical stuff but nothing great). And while I dont have quite as good as a MCAT as OP I do have a 3.6 cGPA/3.75 sGPA/510 mcat(30-31 on old mcat I think). From reading some posts from people who got waitlisted to DO schools with my stats or better, I think the days of being able to get into a DO school with MD level stats alone are gone. I just thought the OP should know because I feel like I am in a similar situation and I dont even know what I am going to do yet.

Right I agree, I guess I was just saying I didnt know if it was right to call him a "shoe in" and might be setting his expectations too high. I know I am still questioning whether I should send out secondaries once I am verified or wait for the next cycle where I can apply day 1 with better ECs(I have about 120 hrs hospital volunteering and 20 hrs shadowing, plus some other non clinical stuff but nothing great). And while I dont have quite as good as a MCAT as OP I do have a 3.6 cGPA/3.75 sGPA/510 mcat(30-31 on old mcat I think). From reading some posts from people who got waitlisted to DO schools with my stats or better, I think the days of being able to get into a DO school with MD level stats alone are gone. I just thought the OP should know because I feel like I am in a similar situation and I dont even know what I am going to do yet.

There is a guy on here who had a 26 MCAT and 3.4-3.6 GPA that has 9+ interviews this cycle. I have seen a couple of similar cases on SDN who had 6+ interviews with similar stats to the one in the first sentence. The problem is that people think that the majority of the game is just Stats. Having a good personal statement/secondaries, strong ECs (1000+ hours at a hospital), strong interviewing skills, and glowing letters play a large role in the process. If one one these categories is bad, it can sink a student. This is why you are seeing these 3.7+ GPA and 33+ MCAT students get wait lists. The process is very comprehensive.

Last edited:
There is a guy on here who had a 26 MCAT and 3.4-3.6 GPA that has 9+ interviews this cycle. I have seen a couple of similar cases on SDN who had 6+ interviews with similar stats to the one in the first sentence. There problem is that people think that the majority of the game is just Stats. Having a good personal statement/secondaries, strong ECs (1000+ hours at a hospital), strong interviewing skills, and glowing letters play a large role in the process. If one one these categories is bad, it can sink a student. This is why you are seeing these 3.7+ GPA and 33+ MCAT students get wait lists. The process is very comprehensive.

Right and thats what Im saying, OP(and myself) might be one of those students because of the ECs. So it might make sense to wait a year boost the ECs and also have the added benefit of applying day 1. At the same time I would find it hard to blame OP for applying if he can get at least some clinical exposure between now and the time he would in theory receive interviews.

It depends on when you are complete at the particular school. What is a problem is that you have to account on how long it takes for verification. My CCOM interview is scheduled for end of September and my AZ kirksville interview is scheduled for beginning of November. (I was complete at all my schools by mid July.)

As these interview spots fill up it may start be getting late. Getting interviews after January or February may mean you're interviewing for wait list spots.

Even though it is still technically "early," I'm starting to think if you haven't submitted your primaries by mid-September, it may be getting late.