Is it too late to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jigabodo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am taking the Kaplan DAT session from June - early August, so I won't be taking the DAT until mid August. However, I will submit my application as soon as my spring quarter grades come out, which will be sometime in June. My GPA is not stellar, (overall 3.31, science 3.41) and I have done some EC. (research, lab proctor, shadowing dentists and volunteered at a local clinic) I started out pretty badly freshmen year with a 1.9, but have a combined 3.8 for junior and senior year. (excluding the incoming quarter) Would I be able to get in any dental school if I take the DAT in august?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is possible, but remember the earlier the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
dat deadline to turn into school is like october 1 and you should apply to any school with your stats

dat deadline to turn into school is like october 1 and you should apply to any school with your stats

Any school with your stats that accept a good number of out-of state apps. OP check out predents.com have good info on there. I didn't know about predents before I applied, I did research on each school I was interested in, I was like oh cool their average is 3.45 (thats me) I will apply, about a weak after submitting I discovered predents and found out almost half the schools I applied to took <10 out of states, so it was like throwing money away with an average applicant like myself.

Good Luck

I am 1 year ahead of you. My app was complete the 2nd week of June but I did not take the DAT until the first week of September. I have been waitlisted at all the schools I interviewed at. I have been told that if I had been an earlier applicant I would not have had much problem geting in durring the first round.

It is looking like I will be reapplying in a few weeks.

I am 1 year ahead of you. My app was complete the 2nd week of June but I did not take the DAT until the first week of September. I have been waitlisted at all the schools I interviewed at. I have been told that if I had been an earlier applicant I would not have had much problem geting in durring the first round.

It is looking like I will be reapplying in a few weeks.

don't give up hope yet, I think UMDNJ will be making some decisions about acceptances in the next few days. hang in there.

to the OP, I took my DATs in January and still got in. taking them in August is not a big deal, as long as you do well. good luck!!

I took the DAT in Mid August, got in 2 schools first round and cancelled upcoming interviews at 6 other schools...Although the earlier the better, I would think that you will be fine as far as time is concerned.