1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is it too late to take the DAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jigabodo, Apr 28, 2007.

1. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hi all,

I am taking the Kaplan DAT session from June - early August, so I won't be taking the DAT until mid August. However, I will submit my application as soon as my spring quarter grades come out, which will be sometime in June. My GPA is not stellar, (overall 3.31, science 3.41) and I have done some EC. (research, lab proctor, shadowing dentists and volunteered at a local clinic) I started out pretty badly freshmen year with a 1.9, but have a combined 3.8 for junior and senior year. (excluding the incoming quarter) Would I be able to get in any dental school if I take the DAT in august?

Thanks so much!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes it is possible, but remember the earlier the better.

4. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Just out of curiosity...what schools should i apply to with my GPA?

5. dat deadline to turn into school is like october 1 and you should apply to any school with your stats

6. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Any school with your stats that accept a good number of out-of state apps. OP check out predents.com have good info on there. I didn't know about predents before I applied, I did research on each school I was interested in, I was like oh cool their average is 3.45 (thats me) I will apply, about a weak after submitting I discovered predents and found out almost half the schools I applied to took <10 out of states, so it was like throwing money away with an average applicant like myself.

Good Luck

7. blasterx

2+ Year Member

Stop giving out erroneous information.

8. kevin512

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Where should he apply then?

9. Bocci Balls

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am 1 year ahead of you. My app was complete the 2nd week of June but I did not take the DAT until the first week of September. I have been waitlisted at all the schools I interviewed at. I have been told that if I had been an earlier applicant I would not have had much problem geting in durring the first round.

It is looking like I will be reapplying in a few weeks.

10. rals

rals Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    don't give up hope yet, I think UMDNJ will be making some decisions about acceptances in the next few days. hang in there.

to the OP, I took my DATs in January and still got in. taking them in August is not a big deal, as long as you do well. good luck!!

11. Regmata

Regmata Member
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took the DAT in Mid August, got in 2 schools first round and cancelled upcoming interviews at 6 other schools...Although the earlier the better, I would think that you will be fine as far as time is concerned.