Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is it too late too add schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Atlas80, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I have already applied to 3 DO schools and will soon send in the secondary for another. I only have one interview and I am getting kind of worried. Is it too late to add other schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NPEMTIV

NPEMTIV Accidentally Accepted
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Short answer is no. Some schools will allow you to add them until March. See AACOMAS Deadlines to find out the deadlines for particular programs.

A longer answer is more complicated. A lot of schools would probably look at your late application as a desperation move showing that you weren't interested before, but now that you haven't received responses from other programs you're now suddenly panicking. I'm not saying don't do it as I can't actually comment on how it'll look for the ADCOMS (Plus if you don't apply you can be certain about the outcome), but I would be prepared to answer the "why so late?" questions.

Good luck.

4. Druzie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    OP, I'm wondering what you decided in the end. Your mdapps is not up to date, I take it? A month later than your question, and I find myself in a similar position. I initially applied to only MD programs, as I was advised, but now my boss is concerned and encouraging me to add DO schools. I have no problem with that except that it's so late. Would I just be shooting myself in the foot?

5. Semicolon

Semicolon OMS II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You shot yourself in the foot as soon as you decided to apply to only MD programs. Why did you decide to do that if you already knew about DO schools?

And I just looked at your MDapps. I'm surprised; you're not getting love from MD schools?

6. Druzie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks for your response. (And congrats on your success this cycle!)

I know now that you're right about me shooting myself in the foot. I don't have any good excuse except that, as you pointed out, I expected more love from MD schools. There must be some gaping hole in my application that I just wasn't aware of or prepared to address...?

I guess the question then is
    Would it be better to add DO schools now (as my boss thinks)? Or to reapply next cycle (if need be) to MD *and* DO (i.e. do it right from the beginning)?

7. Semicolon

Semicolon OMS II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Honestly, my opinion would be to save your efforts until next year. You can apply again early on and be on top of the game, knowing what you do now. At this point, it is very late in the current application cycle, so it's a bit sketchy on what your chances would be. If you're confident enough, you can still apply this cycle and hope for the best. Just keep in mind that if you were to apply now with those stats DO schools might see you as an "MD reject" looking at backups.

And my apologies if I sounded harsh; that wasn't my intention. :)

8. rajaholick

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    your mcat breakdown is sort of odd (great total score btw) but I dont see that as a reason not to interview/accept an applicant
    maybe you didn't have enough of a research background for case? I hear they're pretty high on that
    but i think its mainly because of how much of a crapshoot this process is

anyways, back to the topic at hand
    if you're not too concerned about your finances, go ahead and apply to DO schools
    but i'm assuming that you have a DO rec letter and a fair amount of experience shadowing DOs
    if not, build that up over the next few months and reapply
    but lets hope that you get in off one of the waitlists and it doesn't come down to reapplying :)
    good luck

9. Druzie

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thank you all for your advice! No offense taken, sorry if I gave that impression.

Based on your responses (and my own instincts), I don't think it's worth it to add DO schools now. I don't have a DO rec, and I have only worked in the ER with a DO (didn't shadow, which I think is important). And I don't want to be pre-judged... if they look at my app, I want the adcom to know that I am honestly interested. It's too late for that now. If it comes down to it, I'll know how to do it right next season.

Thank you again! Now I can enjoy my weekend and do a little less agonizing. :D

#8 Druzie, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  10. NPEMTIV

NPEMTIV Accidentally Accepted
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Best of luck to you when you do apply.