Is it true rejection letters can turn into interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WTTL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read this on the forum before. Has anyone seen this happen? If so, how often?

Members don't see this ad.

I have read this on the forum before. Has anyone seen this happen? If so, how often?
its rare, but it can happen...have a friend who wanted to be at a certain residency in NYC and initially was rejected. He talked to the PC and asked to be reconsidered...was then put on waitlist...called practically everyday in Jan to see if there were any last minute cancellations and actually ended up getting an interview at the end of Jan. Wrote a very heartfelt letter to the PD after his interview about how the place was his number one...and ended up matching there...but really this is like winning the lottery...it CAN happen, but most likely not really..

Reactions: 1 user
I appealed a rejection and got an interview, but didn't end up matching at that location. You should not do it unless you have a strong, specific desire to go to that residency--if you don't want to put that place as your #1, then it's probably not worth it.

I appealed a rejection and got an interview, but didn't end up matching at that location. You should not do it unless you have a strong, specific desire to go to that residency--if you don't want to put that place as your #1, then it's probably not worth it.

how does one go about "appealing a rejection"?

i actually know an attending who told me that he did this, but i never asked how he actually went about it. what'd you do? show up in person (with or w/o a boombox)? write a strongly worded letter??

its rare, but it can happen...have a friend who wanted to be at a certain residency in NYC and initially was rejected. He talked to the PC and asked to be reconsidered...was then put on waitlist...called practically everyday in Jan to see if there were any last minute cancellations and actually ended up getting an interview at the end of Jan. Wrote a very heartfelt letter to the PD after his interview about how the place was his number one...and ended up matching there...but really this is like winning the lottery...it CAN happen, but most likely not really..

Rewind. This is fascinating. In which specialty was this?
I know this is unicornesque, but it's intriguing nonetheless. Thanks.

Rewind. This is fascinating. In which specialty was this?
I know this is unicornesque, but it's intriguing nonetheless. Thanks.
IM...its a pretty big program and they interview a few hundred for the spots so of course will have last minute cancellations..

IMG heavy program and while a uni program, i'm sure they have concerns of not filling.

And if someone is going to be that proactive to say (over and over) that the program is their #1, well...plus he was from the area so i'm sure that helped.

It happens. Happened to us this season -- rejected someone, then they contacted us to tell us that they would be doing a rotation with us. I had no idea -- the medical school arranges those and doesn't tell us. Had the applicant been a solid "no", I wouldn't interview them -- I don't do "courtesy" interviews, seems pointless, and seems less hurtful to just say no. But they were on my "maybe" list, so they get an interview now.

But there needs to be something really compelling to change our mind. "I just really like your program" won't do it. Baked goods, on the other hand....

Reactions: 6 users
how does one go about "appealing a rejection"?

i actually know an attending who told me that he did this, but i never asked how he actually went about it. what'd you do? show up in person (with or w/o a boombox)? write a strongly worded letter??
I sent an email to the program director saying that I had significant ties to the area (went to high school literally down the road, went to college in the state, still had family there, etc), and that it was my top choice program. My advisor also tried to make a phone call, but I think the PD offered me an interview before she was able to speak with anyone.

IM...its a pretty big program and they interview a few hundred for the spots so of course will have last minute cancellations..

IMG heavy program and while a uni program, i'm sure they have concerns of not filling.

And if someone is going to be that proactive to say (over and over) that the program is their #1, well...plus he was from the area so i'm sure that helped.
I love it. Thanks for the info.