Is it true some schools won't accept you if you haven't finished undergrad loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcc96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to an old friend of mine from high school who is interested in being a dentist as well. While we were talking, I mentioned that Columbia is my top choice and he told me that they don't accept students unless they've already paid back their undergrad loans. Is this true? I feel as I have read Columbia's dental website many times and haven't seen anything about this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad that isn't a thing because I definitely wouldn't be starting D school this fall.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i would be careful of listening to your friends advice after this. double check everything he says and make sure you keep the facts straight..
i knew people like this that would just spout out things that were completely untrue. causes so much unnecessary confusion I don't know why they say these misleading things.. maybe future gunners haha

Reactions: 3 users
I think A LOT of us wouldn't be going to dental school if that was the case. Especially since SMPs are so popular and very expensive.

I have never heard of this before. Schools don't care whether you have loans or not. It all depends on who you are borrowing from. There is so many private loans out there that want every student out there to sign the loans with them. All they care about is the amount of interest they can collect from you.
I would double check everything your "friend" says. I wouldn't trust such friend.

Completely untrue. Also, the loans are paid back to the federal government (or the financial institution that lent you the money), not the school.

A good example of bad information.
+1 for being skeptical