Is it true that it is more difficult to earn a Pharmacy degree than a DDS degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
New York
Status
I have a friend who is on his way to becoming a pharmacist and he constantly tells me that I have it easy compared to him since im going for Dentistry!!! Have you guys heard anything like that? I always thought pharmacy is much easier....

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Ash said:
I have a friend who is on his way to becoming a pharmacist and he constantly tells me that I have it easy compared to him since im going for Dentistry!!! Have you guys heard anything like that? I always thought pharmacy is much easier....
Unless your friend is a DDS going back for a PharmD, he has absolutely no flipping clue what dental school is like, now does he?

HuyetKiem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Texas
Status
Dentist
Ash said:
I don't know... Never been in pharmacy school, but I know for sure PCAT is a little bit harder than DAT. just my opinion. I took PCAT once..

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Ash said:
A Bachelor's in Pharmacy or a Pharm.D?

And where?

OP
A

Ash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
New York
Status
Fullosseousflap said:
A Bachelor's in Pharmacy or a Pharm.D?

And where?
Not a bachelor's. He is becoming a Pharmacist next year...
I heard from other Dentists too that the road to becoming a Pharmacist is harder than becoming a Dentist...I know im shocked at this too.

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Ash said:
Not a bachelor's. He is becoming a Pharmacist next year...
I heard from other Dentists too that the road to becoming a Pharmacist is harder than becoming a Dentist...I know im shocked at this too.
You can become a pharmacist in some states by completing a B.S. in Pharmacy I believe and not a doctorate - Pharm.D.

So, is he/she completing a Pharm.D?

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What is the point of this thread? Where did this guy go to dental school? Otherwise, how would he know anything about dental school?

I'm suspicious of a troll thread here.

I dunno ... sometimes I try to count skittles really fast with a butter knife to see what it's like to be a pharmacist.

That's a joke. Just like this whole post.

wimmcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Status
Answer: No (in my experience)

Where I live, we have a pharmacy school (Midwestern) and during my attendance at my local JC (taking pre-science courses) MOST of the students I had in my classes got in. I knew something like 10 students who applied and approx. 8 got in. Most of them had no degrees and I'm not sure of the GPA's but I'm guestimating anywhere from a 3.0-3.6, +or- I know that the couple of people who didn't get in... it was just obvious they wouldn't have a shot based on their interview; let's just say they weren't interview material. My good friend who's attending Midwestern has implied that classes aren't very hard... yes, she is challanged a bit, but it's not as rigorous as she thought it would be. Based on my experience going through d-school application, she definitely thinks that dentistry is much more competitive than pharmacy.

GatorDMD

Suck ChocoSaltyBalls
10+ Year Member
May 13, 2004
Med Student lounge
Status
Medical Student
all you need is a A.A. to get into PharmD school. nuff said.

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
Ash said:

i think i have a pretty good response for your question.
i have several close friends that are in Pharm. and their honest opinion is that it is equal or little harder than underg. Also there is no stress to see blood or mess up someone for a mistake.
And the most important thing is that there is not residency or specialization; therefore, it is not competitive at all compared to dental or medical.
I believe that the second half of pharm school u are pretty much in a store.
Many schools dont require the PCAT and not even an interview. PCAT is like a combination of SAT and DAT.
Basically, i think your friend is making nonsense statements.

Only thing about requiremtn for Pharm is that you need Microbio and H. Anatomy lab during undergrad.

frogger33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
I have many friends in Pharm, and according to them it is not that bad. Pharmacology is a b*tch, but other than that one class they compare it to undergrad. they go out all the time and really live life up. Also, many of them got in during their sophmore/junior year in college and did not have to get a degree. However, that being said, it is still a great profession and they do work hard. It is just a different type of learning ya know...

kenniemd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Neverland
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did a year of pharmD years ago and I'm now in Dental school so I guess I've tasted a bit of both. Pharmacy school (especially 2nd year) is no cakewalk. However, like someone said earlier, you've just got to do 2yrs of prereqs. I got in at 18/19.
The PCAT is somewhat similar to the DAT with the notable exception of the PAT.

Pharmacy school is definitely not harder than Dental school. First of all no cadavers to dissect, no neuroscience, histology, cavity prep, crown and bridge etc to deal with. You just have to memorize a bit more, especially pharmacological stuff, but we do pharmacology as well.

After graduation, most Pharmacists end up doing retail and don't really get to use a lot of the info they learned, but pick up new ones like dealing with insurance companies and sometimes annoying customers (been there).

And yeah, you can get D's in Pharmacy school and sometimes curved grades. In most dental schools, 69% is an F.

shopaholic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
If you had a photographic memory, then both schools would be easy. But otherwise, I think pharm is way harder than dental school. Pharmacists have to learn stuff in detail. Dentists just need to know the basics, if that. My school does whatever it can to pass you through, and yes 60% is still a D. This isn't to say that pharmacists are smarter than dentists. I know some dumb pharmacists, but I also know some dumb dentists too.

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I heard that Dental school is just a 6 month co-op course where you learn to step on that pedal thingy.

OzDDS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Visit site
Status
Fullosseousflap said:
You can become a pharmacist in some states by completing a B.S. in Pharmacy I believe and not a doctorate - Pharm.D.

As long as you don't confuse that with a B.Pharm (bachelor of pharmacy) which you would recieve in the british system similar to the Bachelor of Dentistry or Bachelor of Medicine which by the way are both equivilent to the DDS and MD in the US. If you recieve a bachelor of Pharm in the UK the training is the same as the PharmD.

The Godfather

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2004
Status
Dentist
I can't speak for the program, but as far as getting into the program, pharmacy school is definitely less competitive. I've known two people that just had associates degrees and got in. Also, one of the schools that they ended up going to (private), didn't even require the PCAT. Good luck finding a dental or medical school that will accept you without the DAT or MCAT. And, although people are accepted without one occasionally, most dental and medical schools require a bachelors. Also, there are a lot more pharmacy schools, so many more spaces to go around. Comparing the programs themselves is like comparing apples and oranges, though. Dentistry requires hand skills and a much more personal relationship with a patient. Pharmacy requires a different set of skills, and while they deal with the public, they do not usually form the in depth patient/doctor relationships that is one of the hallmarks of dentistry (and some other fields of medicine). That said, pharmacy is a great career and I've known many bright pharmacists (I worked in a local pharmacy for two summers), chiropractors, and optometrists for that matter. Two pharmacists actually are the ones that got me interested in a health career in the first place. Interested students should just go where they feel like they will "fit" best if they want a career in health care. It's about helping people, not our egos. :thumbup:

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
shopaholic said:
If you had a photographic memory, then both schools would be easy. But otherwise, I think pharm is way harder than dental school. Pharmacists have to learn stuff in detail. Dentists just need to know the basics, if that. My school does whatever it can to pass you through, and yes 60% is still a D. This isn't to say that pharmacists are smarter than dentists. I know some dumb pharmacists, but I also know some dumb dentists too.
How does learning fewer stuff in detail is WAY HARDER than knowing the basic of much more subjects???
Also isnt it weird that pharm can only recommend over the counter stuff when dentists can write up for whatever is needed??
What about the no standardized test needed to get into pharm school?

learning in detail? common........give me a break
am i too direct? i apologize if i am

kenniemd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Neverland
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
shopaholic said:

Dentists just need to know the basics???? Are we talking about Dental Assisting here or are we talking about DDS/DMD? If all I'm doing here is learning the basics, someone needs to give me a refund ASAP. :mad:

I guess it's of no use arguing with anyone over who's course is more difficult. It used to be MD vs. DDS, it would soon be BSN vs. DDS, or Chiropractors vs. DDS. I guess people think we go to school for 2 years and learn how to yank teeth from people's heads.

DcS

damn the red baron
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
Pharmacists learn everything in great detail they are taught, and then forget it all when they are out. They have the use of computer systems that spits out every cross rxn, allergy, contraindictions etc to them. This coming from the wife of a dental student in my class, who is a pharm grad.

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
The academic classes are likely on the same level. My sister is currently in Pharm school She is currently taking 2nd semster of Bio chem and Physical Chem which appears to be pretty rigorous from what i've seen. I don't think the level of acdemics is less for pharm, but the curriclum is obviously different. Even with that said I think the bar for level of performance is set higher for DDS students.

OP
A

Ash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
New York
Status
DcS said:
Pharmacists learn everything in great detail they are taught, and then forget it all when they are out. They have the use of computer systems that spits out every cross rxn, allergy, contraindictions etc to them. This coming from the wife of a dental student in my class, who is a pharm grad.

I've been told getting into Pharmacy school is a Joke but passing the required final exams and graduating from Pharm school and getting a license to practice Pharmacy is more difficult than the road to becoming a Dentist...

psiyung

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2004
Status
Ash said:
I've been told getting into Pharmacy school is a Joke but passing the required final exams and graduating from Pharm school and getting a license to practice Pharmacy is more difficult than the road to becoming a Dentist...
I read a few of your posts on this forum, and have come to the conclusion that you are either a troll or just really stupid. Either way, this will be the last time I will try to reply to your questions. I can't really speak for pharmacy school, but the hands on work that is required for dental school is pretty damn exhausting at times. This is especially for those like me who were not gifted with great hands. As far as didactics are concerned, we actually have professors who lecture in both the medical and the dental school, so I can't really imagine pharm students having a much tougher time with the didactics that are relevant to both dental and pharm schools. I'm sure that both schools are tough and stressful to put up for four years, but in the end I can't imagine that one is harder than the other.

Roxicet

warning: I'm addictive!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
I woke up between a memory and a dream
Status
Pharmacist
Fullosseousflap said:

There are no more B.S. Pharmacy programs in any state in the U.S. They've all been phased out and replaced by doctorate-level PharmD programs (I believe the last BS class that graduated anywhere was 2002).

Roxicet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
aceking said:
i think i have a pretty good response for your question.
i have several close friends that are in Pharm. and their honest opinion is that it is equal or little harder than underg. Also there is no stress to see blood or mess up someone for a mistake.
And the most important thing is that there is not residency or specialization; therefore, it is not competitive at all compared to dental or medical.
I believe that the second half of pharm school u are pretty much in a store.
Many schools dont require the PCAT and not even an interview. PCAT is like a combination of SAT and DAT.
Basically, i think your friend is making nonsense statements.

Only thing about requiremtn for Pharm is that you need Microbio and H. Anatomy lab during undergrad.
Ash, I don't see why you're asking questions about pharmacy in a dental forum??? You get answers like this. :rolleyes: If you have no clue, aceking, why bother to reply? I am a first year pharm student. First, we will NOT be in a STORE for the SECOND HALF of pharm school. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: My rotations will be in a multitude of settings....of my six advanced rotations in my third year, only ONE will be in a retail store. Second we can "mess someone up for a mistake;" drugs kill people!!!! Third, there are optional 1-2 year specialized residencies after pharm school, so you do have to remain competitive. if you'd like to see actual pharm school admissions criteria, go to aacp.org...you will find that most schools do require the PCAT, except for all of the schools in CA and very few other schools, and there are even FEWER schools that do not require an interview, and the trend is that more and more schools prefer a BS degree before admissions. So please, aceking, stop spreading YOUR nonsense. I'm making no claims about dental school, because I have no idea. Like someone else said, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Ash, please do your own research. There's an excellent FAQ thread with tremendous resources over in the pre-pharm forum. But, please do a thorough search and don't expect anyone to hand-feed you info that's already there, because we really don't like stupid questions either.

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
Roxicet said:
Ash, I don't see why you're asking questions about pharmacy in a dental forum??? You get answers like this. :rolleyes: If you have no clue, aceking, why bother to reply? I am a first year pharm student. First, we will NOT be in a STORE for the SECOND HALF of pharm school. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: My rotations will be in a multitude of settings....of my six advanced rotations in my third year, only ONE will be in a retail store. Second we can "mess someone up for a mistake;" drugs kill people!!!! Third, there are optional 1-2 year specialized residencies after pharm school, so you do have to remain competitive. if you'd like to see actual pharm school admissions criteria, go to aacp.org...you will find that most schools do require the PCAT, except for all of the schools in CA and very few other schools, and there are even FEWER schools that do not require an interview, and the trend is that more and more schools prefer a BS degree before admissions. So please, aceking, stop spreading YOUR nonsense. I'm making no claims about dental school, because I have no idea. Like someone else said, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Ash, please do your own research. There's an excellent FAQ thread with tremendous resources over in the pre-pharm forum. But, please do a thorough search and don't expect anyone to hand-feed you info that's already there, because we really don't like stupid questions either.

i guess i got you a little frustruated... my bad
i know that drugs kills people, so does a knife and a gun. Making a mistake from you can kill people??? What are u talking about? you sound like you are saving people from the counter of Rite Aid. Oh i get... it is hard to read the perscription. is it?
i have like 6 close friends that go to diff Pharm school that talk about their lifestyle all the time. Maybe i am talking out of my a$$ for ya. My bad i just wanted to spice things up a little because the first post was about Pharm way harder than dental school.
However, u are right about apples and oranges.
i will shup up now.

take care ROXY girl ~! good luck with your career

Roxicet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
aceking said:
i know that drugs kills people, so does a knife and a gun. Making a mistake from you can kill people??? What are u talking about? you sound like you are saving people from the counter of Rite Aid. Oh i get... it is hard to read the perscription. is it?
:rolleyes: Here's an example: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=79057&highlight=methadone I think the kid in that story was a little "messed up" don't you? You said there was no stress in pharmacy from possibly "messing someone up." Well, the MAIN responsibility of a pharmacist is PATIENT SAFETY. If you don't catch a mistake, and a patient gets the wrong drug or the wrong dose, yes, people may die....just a fact, not as melodramatic or silly as you try to make it sound. You should've zipped it while you were somewhat ahead. :thumbdown:

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
I'm currently in my 3rd year of pharmacy school.....

i honestly couldn't tell you anything about even what it takes to get into dentistry school or anything about it when you get there (though my dentist said he had to make a tooth one time.......)

I would hate to be a dentist and would think it would be extremely difficult.... mouths are nasty and we can stand comfortably behind our counter when someone comes in with halitosis but you all......

As far as the difficulty of getting in.... pharmacy school has gotten more competitive here lately with new admissions processes (my school has jumped from 4:1 applicants: entering to over 12:1)
most do require the PCAT (i didn't take it so again... i can't remark on its difficulty)

Also depending on the school they require between 60 and 90 hours of prereqs though with the competition, a bachlor's degree is now prefered with many admissions people.

I have great respect for dentist (and their education) and i do not assume that I could do their job. I honestly expect the same thing from dentistry students and dentists. So please don't assume you can do what I do with no education in the matter. Yes there are residencies now (mainly institutional but there are community as well) and that is the new thing that sets individuals apart (used to be BS/PharmD) since everyone graduates with a pharmD.

I welcome any questions you have about what we have to learn or my curriculum.

Since I am in my third year I am currently in my last semester of classes and will start rotations in June. I still pay tuition and these experiences vary greatly (i.e. CVS, heart transplant unit, public health department, coumadin clinic, etc) depending on my interests
So no the second half of school is not spent working.

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
then what is your position on Pharm is WAY MORE difficult ???which is the whole point of this post???

and about the PCAT all i was saying is that you dont need to take the exam to get into a Pharm school, am i right? taking the test may give you some more options but u can still get in to a pharm school w/o a problem

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
You know what? It is all abour pride and ego. Every field is difficult in itself. For examply, I myself would never be able to get a PHD is German, or a PhD in Mythology. Some people might actually think those are soft wimpy fields, but I don't think so. I use to be social worker myself, and I know that it is not easy to get a PhD in social work. Every field is difficult in itself, I think it is ignorant to compare which field is more difficult then another. Some say dental is more difficult than medicine. Some say the other way. Some like chocolat. Some like vanilla. Whatever.

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I heard from this guy who knows a friend who dates this girl who says that dentists only study penicillin and lortab in school and so they can't legally write for other stuff like sinus medicine and stuff.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
temple.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
i personally believe trying to define which program is harder than the other to boost ego of some people is complete waste of everyone's time. i believe if you are in any of the professional school, you are smart enough, and deserve tremendous credit for making in it. who cares who gets in with less grade point average? adminission commitee have seen something in that person and felt that that person deserve a shot in the particular program. we are so called future professionals. that term "professional" comes with pride and respect to yourself and your collegues and also other professionals who happen to be an expert in a field.

i can never perform 4 root, endo on #31, nor can figure out whether there is a compound root fracture on #16. I have no idea how to to prepare prep for crown, prepare 3 surface restoration prep, nor have ability to make dentures or veneers, i dont know anything about periodontitis treatments, nor know how to extract a teeth that is half way gone.

this goes other way as well. even though i may have no clue what to do, i do have some knowledge about drugs that other healthcare professionals are not familier of. i know the mechanism behind transdermal dosage delivery system and whats in it and what pts and other professionals should be aware for. i know what drugs are comes in what forms with what's inside and what they are used for and their mechanism of actions.

we all have our experties. please stop this non sense of which program is harder than what. there is nothing wrong with asking questions. even a sheet of paper feels lighter if it is held by two people.

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
aceking said:
then what is your position on Pharm is WAY MORE difficult ???which is the whole point of this post???

and about the PCAT all i was saying is that you dont need to take the exam to get into a Pharm school, am i right? taking the test may give you some more options but u can still get in to a pharm school w/o a problem

No you are wrong
there are very very few schools that do not require the PCAT
it will be a problem to get into pharmacy school without the PCAT
:thumbup:
i didn't really think it was necessary to address this question since roxy already had.

as far as my position i thought i made it perfectly clear

each profession deserves proper respect from other health care fields

you really seem to want a fight when it comes to this and let me tell you... you will not get it from me you are not worth starting a silly, pointless, neverending argument with other professionals

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.