Is it true that no one ever gets above a 42 on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotSur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, if I've already submitted my AMCAS, will my MCAT scores be sent automatically to my schools? Do I have to do anything? Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

People get above 42, but once you're beyond 38 or so its very much diminishing marginal returns.

Right. I've heard of as high as 43, but I think 45 is a rarity, I know that entire administrations can go by without a single perfect score due to the nature of the curve. On older applications, you would just mark (43-45) as your score; they didn't even draw a distinction.

If you released those future scores to AMCAS, I think you're golden. They'll send the results out when they're done cooking.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend got a 40.

I know someone who got a 42. I dont know of any higher.

well, I didn't get a 45 :)

NotSur said:
Also, if I've already submitted my AMCAS, will my MCAT scores be sent automatically to my schools? Do I have to do anything?
No, they go automatically, assuming you released them.

I think a member here (QofQimca or something?) scored a 43.
Yes, I did get a 43.

There was a person who claimed getting a 44 on it recently. It's in the 30+ MCAT studying habits thread near the end.

Since 2003, all scored MCAT examinations are automatically released to AMCAS and cannot be withheld. The only way to keep a score off of your AMCAS is to opt not to have it scored once you've completed it.

Yeah, a person in the 30+ MCAT thread got a 44S.

Can you tell us more about the neurologist?

Members don't see this ad :)
my best friend's uncle graduated harvard as valedictorian, got a 45 on the mcat, and now makes millions of dollars a year.

my best friend's uncle graduated harvard as valedictorian, got a 45 on the mcat, and now makes millions of dollars a year.

My next door neighbor got a 46, married a supermodel, and I sometime see him on his balcony tossing off paper airplanes made of $100 bills. Don't quote me on this, but one time I thought I saw him walking across his pool. It was late and I was drunk so I can't be sure.

He is so dreamy.

The janitor my school got a 43P but decided he didnt want a carrier in medicine. Nice guy he is.

My next door neighbor got a 46, married a supermodel, and I sometime see him on his balcony tossing off paper airplanes made of $100 bills. Don't quote me on this, but one time I thought I saw him walking across his pool. It was late and I was drunk so I can't be sure.

He is so dreamy.

HAHAHA :highfive:

He is so dreamy.

HAHAHA :highfive:

I personally would say that once you hit 35 you start getting diminishing returns. That puts you in the top 5% of scorers and approximately the top 10% of applicants by numbers, assuming your GPA is reasonable.

Didn't that guy from MIT that was breaking vegas, forgot the name of the movie, I think it was called 21, but I think he got a 45 on the MCAT and got into Harvard Med.

Right. I've heard of as high as 43, but I think 45 is a rarity, I know that entire administrations can go by without a single perfect score due to the nature of the curve. On older applications, you would just mark (43-45) as your score; they didn't even draw a distinction.

If you released those future scores to AMCAS, I think you're golden. They'll send the results out when they're done cooking.

That's because there was no distinction on older scores. The verbal score of 13+ was given as "13-15" so you couldn't really know if you had a 13, 14 or 15. Therefore, if your other scores were high enough the 43-45 box was as close to perfect as you could get.

Didn't that guy from MIT that was breaking vegas, forgot the name of the movie, I think it was called 21, but I think he got a 45 on the MCAT and got into Harvard Med.

It's been a while since I read the original book, but I actually don't remember any of them planning on going to med school. They were all math and engineering majors. I know that one of of the original 2-3 makes a living giving blackjack seminars. I think the med school part was just added in to make the movie a bit more compelling.