is it true that they put it in you record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjedi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if u make a mistake or something happens to patient. then after 3 years that record will haunt you.u cant get good job it seems. i welcome your opinion on this. i guess a program director can throw more light on it.i was thinking that residency is for learning and that you are likely to make mistakes. will appreciate your replies.thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Although I am no program director, I have had this question come up once. I think if some one writes this on an eval and this goes on your portfolio, it actually becomes a part of your record. I have come across a few passive-aggresive consultants who do this.

The good thing about such comments is that the residency program usually ignores such comments. However if these a part of your permanent file, they can be accessed at any stage and used against you if need be. This becomes more of an issue if you stay at the same institution where you trained.

It would be interesting to see what others think..

if u make a mistake or something happens to patient. then after 3 years that record will haunt you.u cant get good job it seems. i welcome your opinion on this. i guess a program director can throw more light on it.i was thinking that residency is for learning and that you are likely to make mistakes. will appreciate your replies.thanks

There are mistakes and then . . . there are . . . mistakes . . .

A lot of it has to do with 1) exactly what the mistake was and 2) how you handled the mistake. If you've made a lot of simple mistakes, but are generally unwilling to take responsibility and make excuses like a douchebag, don't expect that to fly.

What are talking about here? You can't just expect to practice bad medicine and then at the time time trudge the path to happy career destiny.

(as a small aside, two words, one phrase, have made a world of difference in my life, not in residency only but all over the place . . . two words: "my mistake" and the one phrase: "it won't happen again" - it's like magic for most simple, honest mistakes)

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I am no program director, I have had this question come up once. I think if some one writes this on an eval and this goes on your portfolio, it actually becomes a part of your record. I have come across a few passive-aggresive consultants who do this.

The good thing about such comments is that the residency program usually ignores such comments. However if these a part of your permanent file, they can be accessed at any stage and used against you if need be. This becomes more of an issue if you stay at the same institution where you trained.

It would be interesting to see what others think..

Well, Do your best in residency program. Do what you think is right. By doing the right things, majority of the people will be happy and so the majority of your evals are going to be above average to excellent. However, just like any other 'work' environment, you cannot please everybody and people will write bad things about you. However, if those bad evals are very few and majority of them are nice, they do not carry much weight and are usually ignored.

There is a big distinction between your credentialling record and your residency record. If you make a significant error that leads to risk-management issues, that can follow you. Your residency evals should not.